Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Ridgerunner DL setup - Double check

Hello all,
    I'm getting ready to buy a ridgerunner and the following setup. Can someone confirm this will work and/or suggestions.

Hammock: Warbonnet DL Ridgerunner with continuous loop.
    Suspension: Dutchware beetle hooks
    Underquilt: Exped Down Light large pad instead of UQ.
    Topquilt: Hammockgear burrow 30
    Tarp: Warbonnet Mountainfly silpoly

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    beetle hooks? not familiar, and not seeing anything matching that name on Dutch's site

mountainfly is a nice tarp, but are you going to be able to use the half doors with the ridgerunner? the triangles might be too large (i have no personal experience with that one, or even anecdotal, but that would be inital concern)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Hammock: RR is a super choice.

Suspension: I have no experience with Bettlebuckles so I cannot comment.

Underquilt/Downmat: I would caution that when using the Downmat, do not fully inflate it. A fully inflated mat raises your center of gravity and makes the RR much more "tippy". Also, be advised that since you'll have cold air circulating below the mat, you will probably get cold at the stated temp rating.

Topquilt: HG makes nice stuff and I would fully expect it to work down to the stated temps. However, since you're not running an UQ, you might get cold along the edges where the TQ and mat meet. You might need to order the TQ in a wide size.

Tarp: I have not set my RR up with a MF, but have been successful doing so with the SF. I would expect it to work fine. However, as stated above you'll have a gap in the doors. This is why I switched from a SF to a Cloudburst.
    Last edited by Brommeland; 06-24-2018 at 15:02. Reason: add a comment

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Ditto on Brommeland's comments. Is this a "what-if" question or more of a "buyer's remorse" scenario? I'd skip the pad and save your pennies for the Lynx. I managed to snake one here on the forums from someone who wanted to go to a lower temp. It's much, much more comfortable than even a partially inflated pad. If you're in the "but what if I have to go to ground" camp then that may change things a bit. However, compromising to the insulated pad vs an UQ for that one time in a hundred (or more) that you "might" have to go to ground is kind of silly.

I run a SuperFly with my WBRR and yes the doors don't close fully. I kind of rig them up however I can and they keep out the vast majority of the wind/rain. This is a tarp and not a submarine so nobody is going to "seal" up anything. For bad weather, site selection and how you rig the tarp are nearly if not more important than the specific size/shape of the tarp itself.

It looks to me like your setup should be fine but it could be a bit lighter and more comfortable with a few changes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Thank you for the feedback, exactly what I was looking for. I ripped out my old hammock, so I'm looking to purchase again. The reason I selected a pad was comfort. I heard it's better to have a pad for side sleepers. Perhaps an UQ and a uninsulated pad combination?

I was hoping the new mountainfly would fit the Ridgerunner, i'll ask Warbonnet. I'm currently using a cloudburst with attachable doors.

Dutch has beetle buckles on his site, https://dutchwaregear.com/product/beetle-buckles/ , I'm looking for something to replace the buckles. When I need to loosen the tension, I need to take out the spreader bars in order to loosen the straps. This may just be normal and I need to let it go.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Hi again,

One last thought: The weight savings for Beetles is not that much over Warbonnet's stock tri-ring & straps suspension. Given the length of the dog bones on the RR, you can easily cut 6' off the Warbonnet straps and the weight difference would be even less. Also, tri-rings adjust very easily once you get used to them. I just don't see any advantage going to the Beetles for a RR.

OK, one other last thought - I would hazard a guess here that if you use an un-insulated pad, it will lift you up above your UQ and you'll get cold. If you're gonna use a pad, stick with an insulated one. I sometimes put a Thermarest Ridge Rest in my RR to flatten it out a bit and it works well with an under quilt in colder weather. YMMV.

If you want to experiment with a pad, those blue foam pads work fine, then not much in regrets if you decide to go for an underquilt or upgrade the pad.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    as an Amok guy, and having laid in a grizz bridge hammock for at least 3 minutes, a pad in a bridge can be ridiculously comfortable. I've got a synmat, rather than the downmat, but I really find the exped mats comfy

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That should work but the under quilt built for these units fits like a glove and can't be beat. I'd also recommend the buckle suspension as it's just so easy to use and there's nothing to loose or leave behind.

• + New Posts