SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If I had to do it all over again, knowing then what I know now, a Simply Light Designs Winter Haven tarp like I have now would have been my first purchase. Little extra heavier, but you said weight isn't an issue and it's really not that much extra anyway. The doors on a winter tarp are easily tied back and out of the way if not needed. Or you can leave one end completely open but close off the head end entirely, or whatever you feel you need at the time. Anyway, yeah, that's my advice right there. Winter tarp, especially if weight isn't an issue.

This is how I tie my tarp doors back when I just need standard tarp protection. I don't care for this pic because of the angle I took it makes it appear like I don't get much coverage this way, which is definitely not the case with the Winter Haven set up as such. However, it shows what I mean as far as tying the doors back. Actually, I just carry two mini caribiners for each side of the tarp and hook the tie out loops for the doors together with the caribiner. Held up alright the only thunderstorm it's been through in this set up thus far.

Last edited by Big Flounder; 06-28-2018 at 20:46.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Apparently the consensus is "get a tarp with doors." So that I might just do!

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    You just made the hammock... Why not make yourself a tarp as well.. make it from scratch and add doors any size you want or get a pre cut.. doors or not.
    Because for some reason I'm more terrified of sewing a tarp than a hammock. Something about the rain protection makes me terrified that I'll completely (*&^ it up. The sewing isn't the scary part. It's the waterproofing.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bdulHazred View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Apparently the consensus is "get a tarp with doors." So that I might just do!

Because for some reason I'm more terrified of sewing a tarp than a hammock. Something about the rain protection makes me terrified that I'll completely (*&^ it up. The sewing isn't the scary part. It's the waterproofing.
    If you can make a hammock, you can make a tarp. I might be wrong but the material for tarps that cottage vendors like Dutch and Ripstop By The Roll are waterproof when you get them. Only thing you have to do, and again I might be wrong, is seam seal it. And that's so easy even I've done it successfully and in a matter of minutes.

If you somehow screw up a tarp, you get wet. Screw up a hammock and you might break bones. Lol
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY 8.4 oz 11' Robic XL hammock
    Tarp
    1.1 oz silpoly hex
    Insulation
    900Fill 0* quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and UCRs
    Images
    I second the idea of getting more coverage first and then going with less later.

Images
    I'm not planning on camping through a hurricane, but the mountains in CO have been known to get some good storms at times. I guess I'm looking for a tarp for the majority of the time it's nice but with the ability to stay dry. I'm hoping to get out a lot this summer.
    Are you planning a trip to Colorado? What area?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    ....Because for some reason I'm more terrified of sewing a tarp than a hammock. Something about the rain protection makes me terrified that I'll completely (*&^ it up. The sewing isn't the scary part. It's the waterproofing.

Oh man.. let go of that fear. You're not going to interfere with the protective nature of the material..

Bond the reinforcement patches on (simple as cut the patches and glue them in place with a 3:1 mixture of Mineral Spirits and Seam Seal) you'll have no thread holes there. Use a standing French seam on the RL with a grosgrain cap.. all thread holes are covered when you do that. Roll the hems under so there is no place for water to accumulate. Bond on the panel pulls if you want to have them. Done.

I haven't seam sealed any of my DIY tarps that use this build technique and no leaking. I made two 12' cat cut hex tarps over the winter.. one with doors & one without. They came out lighter than the commercial tarps they replaced, gave me an extra foot of ridge line, are exactly how I want them, use silpoly instead of silnylon and cost me half of what I sold the two commercial tarps for..

It's more time intense than the hammock build, but not particularly more difficult. Happy to help you along if you would like it. I'm no pro, but I got it done...

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Are you planning a trip to Colorado? What area?
    I actually live out here. Arkham, MA is a literary reference. I'm hoping to do a few weekend trips this summer mixing camping and trail building/maintenance with a local organization.

Oh man.. let go of that fear. You're not going to interfere with the protective nature of the material..

Bond the reinforcement patches on (simple as cut the patches and glue them in place with a 3:1 mixture of Mineral Spirits and Seam Seal) you'll have no thread holes there. Use a standing French seam on the RL with a grosgrain cap.. all thread holes are covered when you do that. Roll the hems under so there is no place for water to accumulate. Bond on the panel pulls if you want to have them. Done.

I haven't seam sealed any of my DIY tarps that use this build technique and no leaking. I made two 12' cat cut hex tarps over the winter.. one with doors & one without. They came out lighter than the commercial tarps they replaced, gave me an extra foot of ridge line, are exactly how I want them, use silpoly instead of silnylon and cost me half of what I sold the two commercial tarps for..

It's more time intense than the hammock build, but not particularly more difficult. Happy to help you along if you would like it. I'm no pro, but I got it done...
    Do you have tutorials for these?

On the patches, do you hem the patches first or just bond them? Then I assume you sew pullouts on after you've bonded the patches? How much Seam Seal did you need?

For the cap, do you sew the french seam, them sew the grosgrain over top? Does that stitching need to be sealed? I'm new to the realm of MYOG, not sealing holes in my tarp is counter-intuitive. Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Or just do without panel pulls. I find edge tie outs enough for me. I choose the mini fly over the thunder fly based on the pull outs alone.

I haven't set up my super fly since the mini fly arrived. Last time out we got caught in a full day of heavy rain and it held like a champ.

If you have a lot of gear on the ground, or keep the dog under your tarp with you like my girlfriend does, then the super fly is more appropriate.

I had to keep my gear centered under the hammock but then again I was rocking porch mode through the whole downpour so I brought that on myself.

I would listen to the others who say get a big tarp first and get the smaller one as an add-on/upgrade later.

Also, don't ignore weight and bulk on any item you carry. There are simply no rewards for heaviest pack. There is no badge for carrying more than anyone else.

It is well established that the lighter and less bulky your pack, the more comfortable and enjoyable your hiking will be.

No matter how much someone insists they are comfortable with a heavy pack, it is undeniable they would be more comfortable if it was lighter.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Oh man.. let go of that fear.
    I'm a DIYer that fears the DIY tarp due to my lack of knowledge and a simple process. I would appreciate more info. on your method too.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Homemade gathered end
    Tarp
    Overhead
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeiping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    I haven't set up my super fly since the mini fly arrived. Last time out we got caught in a full day of heavy rain and it held like a champ.
    Good to know, I was initially leaning toward the minifly because I didn't feel like dealing with pullouts.

I would listen to the others who say get a big tarp first and get the smaller one as an add-on/upgrade later.
    Yeah, they've convinced me to go with large, "door"ed tarp. I may even go the DIY route, it'll certainly be cheaper.
    Also, don't ignore weight and bulk on any item you carry. There are simply no rewards for heaviest pack. There is no badge for carrying more than anyone else.

It is well established that the lighter and less bulky your pack, the more comfortable and enjoyable your hiking will be.

No matter how much someone insists they are comfortable with a heavy pack, it is undeniable they would be more comfortable if it was lighter.
    Very true! It's not that weight doesn't matter, rather that my current tarp weighs as much as a superfly with far less coverage. Short of buying a blue tarp from Wally World or Home Depot, my pack likely isn't going to get any heavier no matter which option I choose.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast