Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images

Hennessy Weight Loss Program.

I have a Deluxe Explorer A-sym that I have been using for a year or so. Got the ultralight BP last week because I wanted to reduce pack weight, but its just too short for me to get comfortable in So I decided to see how I could reduce the weight of the Deluxe. Took off the end covers and found it easy to remove the poly suspension ropes. They weigh 5.1 oz each. Replacing with spectra saves 9 oz. 2 in. Tree huggers weigh 3.5 oz for the pair. Replace with 3/4 in. home made tree huggers saves 2 oz. nocked off 11 oz. so far Any suggestions to further reduce weight?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Selling me your ULB for cheap would definitely reduce the weight in your closet!

As far as I know, the big weight savings in the ULB is in the hammock body material itself. It's a lighter weight material and there's less of it. So while I'm sure there are a few odds and ends you could trim, you might be up the creek as far as dropping substantial weight.

Just my .02
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

You could get the Explorer ultralight A-sym instead. That is what I did. I am going to try to make a Speer kit later this winter though. I could then take off the bug net when not needed. That is some weight. Goodluck.

I'm thinking of just cutting the bug net off my UL Asym. Don't need it and then I can try my Speer PeaPod on that hammock. (Won't fit over the HH ridgeline, must go under it.) Wondering how bottom entry would be into a Speer pod?

Todd.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you cut off the bug net you can just get in the top...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    I have a Deluxe Explorer A-sym that I have been using for a year or so. Got the ultralight BP last week because I wanted to reduce pack weight, but its just too short for me to get comfortable in So I decided to see how I could reduce the weight of the Deluxe. Took off the end covers and found it easy to remove the poly suspension ropes. They weigh 5.1 oz each. Replacing with spectra saves 9 oz. 2 in. Tree huggers weigh 3.5 oz for the pair. Replace with 3/4 in. home made tree huggers saves 2 oz. nocked off 11 oz. so far Any suggestions to further reduce weight?
    Amazing to see that number tote up. 11oz lost without any loss of function.

And you didn't even add up the cubic inches of lost volume, which I'd estimate would be the size of 12oz soda can.

In the road racing bicycling world, there was the drillium movement 30 years ago. Everything thought not to be contributing to strength was carved out or drilled out.

So: If hot knives are used to cut rope, the blade "cauterizing" the wound, you could go at the body of the hammock with a soldering pencil.

But, you've shown off quite a lot already. Impressive.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I second the explorer ultralight
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

buy the hh deep jungle xl. weighs a little more than the ultra but you get far more hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    9 November 2006 to 22 June 2011. Talk about bringing up the past!

This thread was even before the Hyperlight, I think. That's one way to save some weight!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ptoddf View Post
    I'm thinking of just cutting the bug net off my UL Asym. Don't need it and then I can try my Speer PeaPod on that hammock. (Won't fit over the HH ridgeline, must go under it.) Wondering how bottom entry would be into a Speer pod?

Todd.
    That's what I did with my HH Explor UL. You can forget bottom entry with the PeaPod, won't need it anyway, like JJ said.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast