Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ

Swiftlet portable hammock stand

Someone sent me a link to this the other day and so naturally I checked the forums here to see if there had been any talk about it, but didn't find anything. (Currently in its last few days trying to get funded on Kickstarter).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-and-outdoors/

I know that, unique aspects aside, this appears to be too small for regular full time sleeping or hammock camping (might work for shorter people, who knows) it definitely strikes me as more of a recreational hammock stand, and I really like the idea of the chair mode for saving space / using indoors. I know a lot of people on these forums would likely either opt for a cheaper less portable stand or buy / build a turtledog or tensahedron. Still, I think this might have a niche market outside hammock camping.

The creator says it weighs roughly 12 lbs and is made of aluminum and this is partly what intrigues me-- the claim is a weight capacity of 400 lbs and this is significantly lighter than the Boonedox Drifter I have which fills a similar niche use case (both are made out of aluminum).

I also find the adjustable attachment points intriguing (solves a problem I have with the Boonedox Drifter needing a hammock / suspension that's pretty exact in length).

Anyways, I'm curious what other's thoughts are on this stand, especially at its stated weight and capacity. Any concerns about the way the hammock attaches and having the material wrap around the ends of the stand like that under load?

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Looks pretty good, too bad they ha e so far to go

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    You already said the cons and some of the pros.

For me, I love my hammock to sleep in because I have never been in a bed more comfortable. I don't want to cheapen the great feeling by shortening the hammock to save weight from a full size frame.

As far as portable, at 12lbs, it's going in my car and not my back so I would still get the full size stand. If we're talking portable to carry somewhere, nope. Trees spaced correctly or if no trees, I would rather have a bipod or tripod stand to get the full feature of my hammock rather than a too short stand.

Keep looking around because soon enough, someone will figure out how to make the portable stand for us hikers.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    96" is a pretty short span.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    You already said the cons and some of the pros.

For me, I love my hammock to sleep in because I have never been in a bed more comfortable. I don't want to cheapen the great feeling by shortening the hammock to save weight from a full size frame.

As far as portable, at 12lbs, it's going in my car and not my back so I would still get the full size stand. If we're talking portable to carry somewhere, nope. Trees spaced correctly or if no trees, I would rather have a bipod or tripod stand to get the full feature of my hammock rather than a too short stand.

Keep looking around because soon enough, someone will figure out how to make the portable stand for us hikers.
    Right-- like I said, probably a limited / niche use. I have a Byer of Maine (Amazonas) Vario stand that weighs 60 pounds and, while I could disassemble it to take it somewhere, that really sounds like more hassle than its worth. But it is perfectly sized to hang a 12' hammock in the bedroom.

I just have a hammock addiction I don't know how to deal with. :P Already own a TATO stand, Tensahedron, and Boonedox Drifter...and yet I find myself considering this for specific applications because of the footprint in chair mode. (I've lost count of how many hammocks I have...)

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    96" is a pretty short span.
    Very short-- looks tiny or kid sized in some of the videos I've seen. But I am interested in how it works when part of the length of your hammock is taken up by the attachment system.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Previous posters have stated that time is running out for this kickstarter. I hope they restart the fund drive if they don't make their goal in 3 days because while it may not meet the needs of hammock campers (turtledog/tato/tensahedron users), the product would be great for indoors use, especially where limited space is a concern. and where a turtledog or tensahedron would take up too much space. I like this product's chair mode, but am unsure how that would adversely affect the hammock body material.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I don't see what's special about this?

it's identical to the Vivere stand I have, except the middle section is much smaller

simply swapping out centers (for any stand like this) would give you the same result.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The fact it supports #400 is nice, and fits any 11'er hammock.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    I don't see what's special about this?

it's identical to the Vivere stand I have, except the middle section is much smaller

simply swapping out centers (for any stand like this) would give you the same result.
    For me the big one is the 20 lbs difference in weight. Also makes it easy to use with a variety of hammock lengths.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast