HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Angry The saga of Chesapeake continues.....

CAN I GET A GD BREAK ? It's really getting to the point now where I'm starting to think that something is trying to tell me to stay the F inside, and give up trying to hang between April 1st and November 1st.
    I figured that even though it's gonna be around 65° tonight with borderline humidity but still a nice breeze , that I can get one more night in the new RR before summers wrath returns to the upper bay and I'm driven back inside again. So I left the RR hung today , took off the CDT UQ & UQ and left my tarp skinned , but took my Burrow, pillow and TQ liner inside. Good Fingthing too! As 945 rolled around tonight and the wife + kid went to bed, I gathered my stuff and headed out to thoughts of yet another AMAZING nights sleep in my new favorite hammock. But NOOOOO, that wouldn't be dramatic enough now would it? That wouldn't add to my already comical and infamous horrible luck or give me yet another wild tale to share with my HF brethren would it??? So, headlamp on, Burrow in one hand, Gatorade in the other, I headed out to quickly stash the gear to do my nightly pre-hammock entrance spider check, and as the beam of my lamp hit the black netting of the 'Runner, I thought to myself " what the F is that? Now, let me stiop here for a quick second to describe my thoughts....I was expecting to have at least a few spiders on the suspension or hanging from the skinned tarp.When I didn't initially see any at first as I walked the 20' from door to hammock i tbought, " WOW! I finally got lucky for a change! " ... " keeping the tarp skinned just might be the trick to giving them less places to hang from " . Now let me continue .... As I got close enough for my light to shine brightly on the net and into the hqmmock, I realized that my black bug net, wasn't so black anymore. My next thought was " hmm, this looks like the Dream Hammock in the for sale section of HF, the one made with RSBTR printed flectarn netting , but the body has a U.S. Woodland camo-ish look inside now and not plain green ... What the hell?? . " And then I got close enough to see what was making this odd color combination..... BIRD $#!+ !!!! There were brown patches of bird$#!+ ALL OVER the outside of the net and inside on the hammock body! Leaving the tarp skinned had apparently given a small flock of something a place to perch then drip S down onto/into my brand freakn new hammock! It was everywhere! So, yeah good thing I took the Burrow and pillow inside hu? I just can win can I ? Luckily, I have a tube of Lysol wipes, so I got to work and by the light of my headlamp, began to cleanup bird carp at 10:00 tonight. One positive note : I only found a few small whispy webs and tiny spiders smaller than a pencil eraser. But as I wiped and scrubbed and cussed, I realized that I had just treated the has and netting with Sawyer's Permethrin , now I was scrubbing it off most likely. So after 15 mins and lots of wipes, I was finally able to get in to get situated. Come on , really??? Now it's nasty bird ****?? Is it even possible to get any worse? NM, I better not say that because the last time I did........ looks like it's either skin the tarp and get **** on or pitch it and get 1000 spiders trying to catch me in a web 'o death as I get up to pee at 3am. I honestly can't win can I ??? EVER!!!!!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yea, I'd just give up warm weather hanging especially at your site.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Yea, I'd just give up warm weather hanging especially at your site.
    Lol, I think I'm about at that point right now. Dead fish in my tree? Spider infestations? Racoon attacks? Bug in ear? Etc, etc, and now bird **** of all things? It's like I'm in one of those hidden camera shows or something.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

I’d say it’s time to throw in the towel and wait for cooler temps... You might be tempting fate to see what else Mother Nature can throw at you —-

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    ****, that sucks. At least you noticed it before you got in!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    You didn't happen to notice any spider body parts in the poop, did you? Maybe the birds were gorging themselves on your eight legged nemesis hell spawn!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I have literally sat here at work and laughed out loud, my patient thinks I am nuts. The nurses think I am nuts, but man you crack me up

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Maybe we should change your trail name to "Lucky?"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph... View Post
    Maybe we should change your trail name to "Lucky?"
    "Spider Robinson" might be more appropriate.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Thanks for the morning laugh Chesapeake. As you may have heard, S#$T happens....I learned the lesson that unless I am in the hammock, the tarp must be deployed to protect from random birds dropping their payload on my head. I'd rather clean bird poop off of my tarp than my gear underneath said tarp. Don't give up hanging outside! I am gearing up for my trip to Upstate NY for a 3 nighter in a state park. Hopefully I will have a good go of it. It's front country hanging, so it shouldn't be all too difficult!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast