HG Quest Tarp or Journey Tarp

Anyone have experience with the HG Quest or Journey Tarps? Or any other suggestions around the same price point? I'm looking to upgrade from my Kelty Noah 12 tarp for backpacking on the Superior Hiking Trail. I have a Dutch netless hammock. Also any advice on ridgeline being 11 or 12 feet long?

Thanks bunches!

PS. This forum has been a lifesaver and I truly appreciate each and everyone of you!

Darro,

I am about to order the HG Journey 12 footer. I havent heard much about this product. I even did the same thing your are doing now, posting a thread looking for input. That said, I have no qualms ordering anything from HG. Their customer service and their products are nothing short of top notch.

Ill do a post and let you know, once I get the Journey 12 footer out into the woods. I wont do a review as I just started this whole Hammock thing about 14 months ago and am still trying to sort it all out.

Have fun.

Bob

I have the Quest with the 12-foot ridgeline. I like that little bit of extra length because the weight penalty for the slightly longer ridgeline is so small I don't even know what it is. I've apparently caught the tarp on something like a pine cone and made some tiny punctures, but sealed them with silicone and am cautiously optimistic about it. Other than that, I love the weight and the fact that it packs down so much smaller than either of my other tarps while providing comparable coverage. I've used the tarp primarily with my 11-foot netless hammock, but have been out once with my wife's RidgeRunner and once in my backyard with my Cowboy Rope Bridge hammock, the latter in a heck of an afternoon thunderstorm. If you have a choice, get the 12 footer for the extra insurance would be my advice.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    I really like UGQ tarps. I have a Hanger 11 from the Penny Saver line and think it's an excellent value. I also have a Winterdream 11 with the side panel pullouts and spreader poles that go over the ridgeline. The 11 footers give me more than enough coverage and I have no desire for anything bigger.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I have a 12' Quest tarp. I like it very much. It's light and packs small. I use it for 3 season use. I'm currently looking at getting myself a winter tarp, And debating between the journey or a penny pincher tarp

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    I have a 12' Quest tarp. I like it very much. It's light and packs small. I use it for 3 season use. I'm currently looking at getting myself a winter tarp, And debating between the journey or a penny pincher tarp
    The Penny Pincher tarps are great values and UGQ's quality is first rate. The only issue with the Penny Pincher Winterdream is side panel pullouts or pole mods aren't available on them, if that is something you might want. Of course, you could add them yourself.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL zip + 2
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ "et al"
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles etc
    Hi..I just received the HG journey 12 foot dark olive tree tarp and had opportunity to use on my way back from Minneapolis actually at Menominee Michigan. It survived high wind gusts, thunder, lighting and a downpour on first try without incident. I still am in process of playing with tie outs etc and in spite of not having it all in place on first night passed with flying colors. I had it as well as a polyester tarp in close proximity and found the Journey dried more quickly than the polyester hex one of my kids was using after I wiped them down to store when breaking camp. It is nearest one in photo if shows up for you. I use Hennessy hammocks both Deep Jungle and Explorer and we were bone dry.....so all that to say this Journey works. Hammock gear as well have been nothing but outstanding service wise. I also use the under and top quilts with total satisfaction. image.jpg. Majority of products out there will work but the price point and previous experience I have had with HG was a decisive factor for me. My two cents. Good luck.
    Not sure if photo will work here as first try ��

• + New Posts