Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'

Trip Advice: Connecticut River Paddlers Trail

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the Connecticut River Paddlers Trail and Kayak camping? A friend and I would like to camp from our kayaks for a weekend. We live in Massachusetts and are looking for flat water for two nights toward the end of August or early September. The first night needs to be within a few miles of the put in as we would be driving there after work on Friday. After that anywhere from 10 to 20 miles for the second night. I would probably take a Lyft or Uber back to the truck unless there is a shuttle service available. The closer to the Massachusetts line the better.

My companion is just starting off with tent camping but I'm hanging in my Chameleon Wide. We're going to camp on an Island in Boston Harbor in a couple of weeks and I plan to tempt her with my old hammock.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by wbJohn; 07-16-2018 at 12:13. Reason: Thread naming
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I never knew this existed. I should look in to this myself.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner, Hennessy
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin, ridgr
    Suspension
    Whooppees
    Look up the Connecticut river conservancy - they have printed and online maps showing the river, dams (can you say portage?) and campsites. I have done most of the water trail and it would be suited for hammocking except at the commercial campgrounds in the lower half of the river. Good luck trying to get uber or lyft. There is a river shuttle service - look at www.canoetripping.net and search the trip reports. Many people have done this trip.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdwelker View Post
    Look up the Connecticut river conservancy - they have printed and online maps showing the river, dams (can you say portage?) and campsites. I have done most of the water trail and it would be suited for hammocking except at the commercial campgrounds in the lower half of the river. Good luck trying to get uber or lyft. There is a river shuttle service - look at www.canoetripping.net and search the trip reports. Many people have done this trip.
    Thanks for the information. This may be a trip for next season as the sun seems to be setting earlier every day and getting to the areas where camping is allowed will take a couple of hours minimum.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I did a little more research and called an outfitter in Brattleboro, VT. I'm planning to start at North Walpole, NH, camp six miles down river at the Windyhurst Campsite and take out near Vermont Canoe Tours in Brattleboro. I've posted this trip in the New England Kayak Club group on meetup.com. Join the group if you would like to come along. The whole trip is twenty miles with most of it on the Sunday.

Based on what the outfitter told me this is a flat water, no portage trip. I'm hanging in my Chameleon.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    There is an out of print book "Connecticut River Boaters Guide from source to sea" It's a pretty good book gives maps mileage portages and campsites. I had a copy a few years ago. Think you can still find it on Abebooks.

Get in touch with Bonna at Bold Path Adventures: https://boldpaths.com/2017/11/15/wom...l-day-weekend/. She attended our recent all-women's hang in central MA and is very active with Women Outdoors but works with all genders. She's amazing and does trips regularly on the Connecticut River! I'm sure she'll have some ideas for you.

• + New Posts