Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
I don't think the far pole will fit inside the the bike frame. Then again it collapses to 20" long by 1.375" diameter, so stowing shouldn't be an issue. As for locking the bike wheels: I don't think it is needed, especially if there are 2 guylines on the bike side. I saw no tendency for the bike to roll at all.
it depends on the bike, a lot of bikes now, even road bikes, are being built with larger tube sizes. I just saw a bike recently on GMBN designed with sealable access to the top tube as well as the handlebar ends for storage (it had flat bars though, not drops)

it's easy enough to lock the wheels, especially for Dutch... could do it with a small strap or even amsteel. in your photo, the whole front end of the bike can rotate, but if you wrap a cord or strap around both wheel and frame, now the front wheel can't roll, and the handle bars/wheel can't turn.

besides, there's times you need to lock them anyway. want to lean it against a tree? good luck! the front wheel keeps turning and rolls away from the tree... but not if you lock it like this.

if i want to lock it straight, but need the wheel to spin (usually if adjusting brakes or shifting while on the road and without a work stand, or even just when cleaning the rim) I use an adjustable length bunjee from seat post around both sides of the frame to hook on rearmost corners of my front racks.

on a side note, something else Dutch can possibly make that I haven't found anywhere, is a cable lock set: three small cable locks, one to lock each wheel to the frame and one to lock the saddle to the frame (I've seen a ton of bikes that are missing saddles but are securely locked to bike racks), then a longer one to lock the bike to something else. I currently carry one long cable lock (same size cable as they use for laptop cable locks) 12ft I think. what i have is excessive in one sense, and not enough in another sense... it's not enough after I wind it back and forth through the wheels, frame, saddle, etc to reach around a large tree trunk. but with the small ones to lock that all down and a dedicated cable for a tree, I could get away with much less cable, and therefore be saving weight.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk