Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Hammock Help!!!

OK, so I made my first hammock. actually tried to make it as inexpensive as possible. I used the idea from RISK and made the Test Hammock (super easy to do) Now I have it set up in the backyard, between a tree and the fence. If I put sag in it I am sitting on the snow if I have NO SAG it seems like it is right. How do I know how much sag there should be.

2) When backpacking, how much webbing/rope do you bring to hang the hammock? Is it easy to find trees within 12-15 feet apart?

3) I have seen the decender rings on a few web sites. at my REI they are 4.50 each. is there a cheaper way to go as far as the rings go?

that is all for now. I am going to sleep in my hammock tonight,. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Sag is very personal, but most people like their webbing to come off the tree at about a 30 degree angle.

In most places I've been hiking, finding trees the appropriate distance apart is generally very easy. Might have to walk an extra couple of minutes, but otherwise they're everywhere. I have (on most of my hammocks) about 11' of webbing on each end.

I assume you are looking at these:

I saw those the other day for the first time; haven't tried em. However, the ones below have been a standard among hangers for a while now and are about 1/2 the cost. Also available at REI and made by the same company (SMC). Especially right now because the climbers aren't sucking them off the shelves during the winter months.

Last edited by Cannibal; 02-24-2010 at 16:45.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    A while back, while I was playing with a new hammock I was making, I played around with the sag to see what would be the most comfortable for me. I even grabbed a protractor to be able to measure !

Like Cannibal said, sag can be very personal, but I found that a 30 deg. sag works the best for my comfort. When I first set up, I usually start a pinch tighter, since getting in the hammock causes a little bit of stretch in the fabric/suspension at first.

Where I am here in the SE, it's pretty easy to find trees 12-15' apart. In other regions, it may be a bit harder, depending.

Another thing to consider is the diameter of the trees you will be using. In some regions (esp out west), the trees may be mighty large!! So, extra suspension length would be necessary if that's the case.

I usually have about 9ft on each end for mine, but many folks go a bit longer for more possibilities.

Congratulations on making your first hammock! There's something really special about that first sleep in a diy hammock!

Lookin forward to reading about how it went for you!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    How tall is the fence you're hanging from? While we're at it, have you measured the distance from the tree to the fence? The height of your attachment points will affect how much sag you can allow without hitting the ground. So will the rope or webbing you used. Does it appear to stretch when you get in the hammock? What's it made of? These few pieces of information will tell us all.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    restless, make sure its not nylon webbing. Nylon is way too stretchy to work good on a hammock. Get some polyester webbing. Paul at AHE (Arrowhead Equipment) has those descender rings in lots of eye-popping colors. http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/
    And he has the right webbing, if you need to upgrade.
    Won't do you any good tonight, but he'll send them out tomorrow for you.
    Good luck on your hang.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the endorsement Gargoyle. Yah I have rings much like those from SMC, sold in pairs got lots of colors in stock and more before long.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Thanks!!!

yeah, Good help I really appreciate it. I am using webbing from my climbing days. I believe it is Nylon. Tubular webbing also. I didn't really think it stretched that much. The fence is a standard 6 foot fence I am guessing it needs to be taller but you use what you have i guess. The rings at my REI were the ones pictured. They didn't have the rings in the second picture. I may order the rings from Arrowhead. Thanks for all the help. will let you know how it goes tonight!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by restlesss View Post
    yeah, Good help I really appreciate it. I am using webbing from my climbing days. I believe it is Nylon. Tubular webbing also. I didn't really think it stretched that much. The fence is a standard 6 foot fence I am guessing it needs to be taller but you use what you have i guess. The rings at my REI were the ones pictured. They didn't have the rings in the second picture. I may order the rings from Arrowhead. Thanks for all the help. will let you know how it goes tonight!
    Six feet height for attachment points should be okay if the tree isn't too far from the fence. Must be a strong fence (or you're hanging from a corner)! Polyester webbing will probably be lighter than the tubular nylon, as well as less stretchy. How'd you sleep?

Sleep

I actually slept pretty good but kept getting woke up by the snow plows going by. my pad I was on felt like it was sliding too so i would end up with my feet higher than my head so when I woke up just kinda scooched up a bit. My tarp also was flapping everyonce in a while ... I am going to push on. I have an idea to improve my hammock to aid in my sleeping pad issue. one thing though... My but got really cold no matter how i was sleeping. the rest of my body was fine. but my but guess i need to change my trail name to cold butt... anyways. I have a bit to go before i post pics. thanks again for the input guys

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    IMO, the cinch buckles from AHE make a much nicer webbing based suspension than the rings. Cheaper, too. I've tried both, and there really is no contest.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast