Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 118
  1. #21
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I have never used a full-length RL, and I don't really know its advantages. If the objective is to have a clothes line under the tarp, why not install a separate clothes line that has the correct sag, or even an adjustable one? Then, use two separate lines for the ridgeline with a fixed eye and a toggle, and a Prusik at the tarp tie-out (like the system we discussed via pm)?
    Because most backpackers have multiple uses for their equipment. Keeping the RL 1 continuous length of rope affords more possibilities for the line rather than 3 short ones.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    633
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Because most backpackers have multiple uses for their equipment. Keeping the RL 1 continuous length of rope affords more possibilities for the line rather than 3 short ones.
    That makes sense. Me, I want the tarp tie-outs attached to the tarp so I can't lose them. If my tarp were detachable from the ridgeline, I am sure I would leave the ridgeline in camp sooner or later. I've done that with one of my tree straps before, but that's a different story...
    Last edited by Schneiderlein; 02-24-2010 at 18:45. Reason: spelling

  3. #23
    Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Down
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Posts
    5,351
    Forgot to add on mine you would need two prussics for the tarp

  4. #24
    Senior Member TeeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,628
    Images
    300
    So far, I like Schneiderlein idea the best.

    But adding up the toggles, Prussics and Figure 9s I get:

    1. current method: 3 Prussics, 1 small Figure 9, no toggles since the one used CAN be picked up off the ground
    2. Schneiderlein's idea: 4 Prussics, 1 toggle permanently attached to RL Prussic - there is a second toggle which can be picked up off the ground. Okay on second thought both toggles could be picked up off the ground.


    If one toggle is permanently attached to a Prussic, is a toggle and 2 Prussics really lighter than a small Figure 9 and 1 Prussic? Seems like weight wise, it will come out a wash in that case.

    One Prussic is definitely going to be less than a small Figure 9.

    Advantage of the toggle compared to the Figure 9 is no abrasion on the RL cord.

    Advantage of the small Figure 9: 3 to 1 mechanical advantage in pulling RL tight. I like to pull my tarp RL very tight and the small Figure 9 is better for this. Trying to pull a really tight RL with the Prussics would be real challenge.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

    Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

  5. #25
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eradicator View Post
    What's wrong with knots? Seems like a fixed knot on the prussik, and then a lark's head on the fixed loop would serve the same purpose as a toggle.
    How are you going to go around a tree and then larks head the tail to a prusik loop?
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  6. #26
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    That makes sense. Me, I want the tarp tie-outs attached to the tarp so I can't lose them. If my tarp were detachable from the ridgeline, I am sure I would leave the ridgeline in camp sooner or later. I've done that with one of my tree straps before, but that's a different story...
    Im sorta the same way... I like everything attached.

    I once lost...err forgot to stow, a brand new LED Mag Light and shovel while breaking camp one morning. Left them both on the fender of my off road trailer.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  7. #27
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    So far, I like Schneiderlein idea the best.

    But adding up the toggles, Prussics and Figure 9s I get:

    1. current method: 3 Prussics, 1 small Figure 9, no toggles since the one used CAN be picked up off the ground
    2. Schneiderlein's idea: 4 Prussics, 1 toggle permanently attached to RL Prussic - there is a second toggle which can be picked up off the ground. Okay on second thought both toggles could be picked up off the ground.


    If one toggle is permanently attached to a Prussic, is a toggle and 2 Prussics really lighter than a small Figure 9 and 1 Prussic? Seems like weight wise, it will come out a wash in that case.

    One Prussic is definitely going to be less than a small Figure 9.

    Advantage of the toggle compared to the Figure 9 is no abrasion on the RL cord.
    Im not so sure one of the goals should be lighter. Because the figure 9 is inevitably going to be replaced with a toggle and another prusik loop.

    Main goal is to eliminate the Figure 9.

    Schneider provided that solution with the 2 line method.... Just trying to see if the brain trust (and for political reasons I cant stand that phrase) can build a better mouse trap.

    EDIT: Keep in mind that even if you hand tighten the prusik loops... the guy lines add a fair bit of tension to the RL.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  8. #28
    opie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    3,412
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Forgot to add on mine you would need two prussics for the tarp
    Yes... there are already 2 prusiks for the tarp, one for each end of the tarps RL.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

    Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

  9. #29
    Senior Member TeeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,628
    Images
    300
    See my last edit of my post regarding the advanatge of the Figure 9 over the toggle and Prussic.

    After due consideration, I will remember the solution to replace the small Figure 9 with a Prussic in case the Figure 9 gets lost, but will retain the use of the Fgiure 9 to get a tight RL.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

    Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

  10. #30
    Senior Member TeeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,628
    Images
    300
    Thanks for the challenge, it's been stimulating.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

    Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Similar Threads

  1. $200 Challenge
    By SwinginIt in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 22:22
  2. Back to the tarp challenge
    By toddhunter in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 06:50
  3. Challenge
    By bgraybackpacker in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 00:23
  4. The Challenge
    By Powerbird in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 05:48
  5. ultimate challenge
    By hacktorious in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 19:56

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •