Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend

most packable, lowest volume TQ

My beloved husband gifted me a 30L Ospry pack to replace my 22yearold 2400 Gregory that was getting past it's prime. As I got more into backpacking with a hammock set up, the weight and volume of my gear was too little for my good ol' Gregory, to be comfortable wearing while hiking. The problem is I'm trying to pack this new smaller Osprey, and my makeshift TQ is taking up most of the room. I cannot return the pack, as my son and I have used it hiking already, and my husband was so excited to surprise me, I want to make it work. Next on my list of hammock gear to get is a top quilt anyways. What TQ packs down the smallest? I would want a 40 degree or a 20 degree. I have a HG 40 degree UQ, and that packs up nice with my hammock, bugnet, and suspension in the double ended stuff sack that came with my DW netless hammock. It would be nice to beable to pack up in that system. For now I think I'm going to borrow my husbands puffy as blanket for my legs, and mine for my top half. What are your favorite smallest TQ's, or TQ's alternatives?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    I'm kind of in the same situation as you. Trying to reduce volume. Although I have no experience with HG quilts myself if you're happy with the pack size your HG underquilt I would get a top quilt to match.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There really is no one mfgr that offers a top quilt in the 40° range that's going to pack significantly smaller than another mfgrs tq of the same type insulation. A 2400 pack to a 1800 is going from small to way smaller. Good luck figuring it out.
    Last edited by Two Tents; 07-21-2018 at 07:49.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    There really is no one mfgr that offers a top quilt in the 40° range that's going to pack significantly smaller than another mfgrs tq of the same type insulation. A 2400 pack to a 1800 is going from small to way smaller. Good luck figuring it out.
    This is probably true.

Not sure of the exact difference but Loco libre operator series is what I went with.
    However, for the price you could probably get a like new used pack sized up or
    attach somethings to the outside of the pack you have.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Some considerations:

1. The lower the temp rating of the quilt, the more space it will require to pack. Go with the temp rating that you feel will keep you comfy in the lowest temps you think you will be camping in.

2. Many of the cottage vendors offer quilts of varying sizes. Get the smallest size you think will offer adequate coverage for your body frame. Contacting your vendor of choice to discuss this might help shave a little off the final product.

3. If space is still an issue, compression sacks for your insulation may be in order. Just make sure you only use them when necessary and give some time after setting up camp for your quilts to loft.

4. Use the options for packing stuff on the outside or your pack as much as possible for things like water and your tarp. A bladder will eat up space in your pack, and your tarp, and rain gear and other bulky waterproof items can be strapped outside or put in exterior pockets. Cook kits can also be packed on the outside if there is an appropriate pocket/space for them. This will help you maximize interior pack space.

Good luck! 30L doesn't leave much room to play with, but using a pack like that will necessarily train you to pack light!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I have the HG40 and it packs pretty small, when you get your TQ .... pick the highest fill power you can get, talk to the manufacturer about sizing and pick the lightest fabric (I think that will be .66 O/yd), The higher the fill power the smaller the packed volume and if you don't need the extra width or length on the TQ that will also help.

If you are happy with your HG, then give them a call and ask about what sizing they recommend for you. If you get 800+ fill power, size the TQ for you and use .66 oz material, I don't believe there is much more you can do to reduce the packed volume.

BTW, I really like my HG TQ and the folks there are really helpful ....

Brian

Currently, I would recommend an EE Enigma TQ (reg or H.E. version) with 950fp and 7D fabric in and out, sized to your body. Expensive but packs down small and light. Choose from temps 0,10,20,30,40,50 degrees.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post

Currently, I would recommend an EE Enigma TQ (reg or H.E. version) with 950fp and 7D fabric in and out, sized to your body. Expensive but packs down small and light. Choose from temps 0,10,20,30,40,50 degrees.
    I have this exact quilt, 30 degree version, and it packs down incredibly small. Right at 14 oz, reg/reg size. The hammocking version would be even lighter.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I call a 30L pack a day pack! I've never been able to backpack with anything less than a 50 liter, even carrying 40* quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have this exact quilt, 30 degree version, and it packs down incredibly small. Right at 14 oz, reg/reg size. The hammocking version would be even lighter.

As do I. Mine is the 30* H.E. at 13.05 ozs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast