Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

White Mountain hammockability trail recommendations

I'm going up to the Whites to start using my new hammock set up and trying to pick a few good places to test the gear and myself. I'm looking for some recommendations. Ideally, I'd like to hike all day and set up in the late afternoon. I'm guessing that most of the tentsites would be full or quickly filling up by that time on weekends. That's ok, as I might rather be in a more chill, less populated spot anyway, perhaps a site overflow or a hammock specific area. Good spots along trails anyone can share is appreciated. On my potential trips are Liberty which could mean staying at Liberty Springs or up higher off the FRT. Another option is to hike up the Flume Slide Trail to find a spot and then backtrack the next day to do Liberty. Another trip I'm thinking of is doing Mt Tom, Mt Field and Willey and heading to Ethan Pond site. Kinsman Pond is another possibility. Also along the Great Gulf trail. If the site options are limited I could hike directly to a site , set up and hike with a small pack to bag a peak if need be, but I'd rather not do it that way.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete02093; 07-22-2018 at 19:57.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I don't have any specific camping sites to post, however you are allowed to do dispersed camping in the whites. You need to be 200 yards from the trail/water, and 1/4 mile from the official sites. You can sometimes find established sites that break these rules, especially anywhere near the pemi loop. I haven't stayed at an official site in years, I just look on my map for a flat area on the topo map and start looking for trees. I haven't had any issue finding a place to hang a hammock, but some areas can be tough with the steepness or the whites.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    WMNF dispersed camping regulations can be found here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

The gist: Some trails have 200 foot rules. Some don't. Some Wilderness areas have 200 foot rules. Some don't. Trailheads and most official campsites have 1/4 mile rules. Some streams and ponds have 200 foot or 1/4 mile rules. Most don't. Read the document as there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding dispersed camping and where it is or isn't legal.

No camping in Franconia Notch or Crawford Notch State Parks.

Hanging above 2500-3000 feet can be difficult unless you know where you are going.

Water crossings and FPA boundaries are usually good places to start looking for previously used campsites.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    What they said. I'll second somniferous' comment though: in 25+ years I have never once stayed in a designated site, and I've never failed to find a legal or other heavily used place for a tent or (for the last 4 years) a hammock. But, I have had to walk several miles more than I expected to find the right place, since so much of the WMNF is steep, soggy, or dense from recent logging.

My normal advice is similar to advice my father gave me when I started traveling for work: never pass up a water fountain or a bathroom. Similarly in the Whites, I tell people to really start looking to the sides of the trail about an hour before their planned stop. And if you see the perfect area, stop early, or at least make note of it in case there's nothing at your original stopping point. You can always backtrack a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    Plenty of great spots off Ethan Pond Trail and Thoreau falls. Last Monday when the weather was questionable I ventured down Shoal Pond trail and found some great spots. Great spots on Fishing Jimmy Trail on the other side of the Kinsmans. Sometimes I like hanging with thru hikers at the shelters, and sometimes I like the dispersed camping options. So many great options at the Whites, especially if you follow Grumpy Squatch’s advice of starting to find your spot early.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtmimib View Post
    Plenty of great spots off Ethan Pond Trail and Thoreau falls. Last Monday when the weather was questionable I ventured down Shoal Pond trail and found some great spots. Great spots on Fishing Jimmy Trail on the other side of the Kinsmans. Sometimes I like hanging with thru hikers at the shelters, and sometimes I like the dispersed camping options. So many great options at the Whites, especially if you follow Grumpy Squatch’s advice of starting to find your spot early.
    Camping within 1/4 mile of Thoreau Falls is illegal. That area is the poster child for overuse in the Whites. Down Thoreau Falls Trail near Jumping Brook there are some nice spots though.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Coldest night I ever spent in a hammock early in my hanging was on a small hill east of the Shoal Pond trail just south of the junction of the Ethan Pond Trail in May. Forecast for the higher summits was siupposed to be a low of ~40° F. It hit 28° and snowed. Wind blew into my hammock all night as it constantly shifted directions.

There is a very overused site with a giant fire ring (too) close to the Ethan Pond trail just east of the tentsite protection area on the Crawford Notch State Park end of the trail. But it has some very dense pine trees surrounding two really nice trees about 13' apart a bit farther off trail and moving there the following night saved my hammocking life. Even though it hit 29° that second night, with the trees blocking the wind I was snug and toasty all night long and got the best night's sleep I ever had in the woods. Sold me on hanging thereafter, though I also ordered my Winter Dream tarp the moment I got home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Shoal Pond has two really nice sites up herd paths on the eastern shore of the pond. It's where I did my first solo overnight in the Whites. It hit -5 that night and was supposed to be colder the next night. I cut the trip short.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    Try Rocky Branch Trail (Jackson, NH), to Isolation trail right to the top of Mt. Isolation. Just before the mountain is Isolation shelter which is just a camp sight with a fire ring. I arrived early afternoon and hiked to "shelter" then climbed the mountain in the morning before hiking back to the trail head. There are a few stream crossings so plenty of water sources. Wear some good boots because the trail is Rocky (hence the name Rocky Branch I guess). No issues hanging at the site in my Hennessey.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -Stephen Hawking

"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure." -Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Thank you everyone!

• + New Posts