DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Modular Top & Under Quilts

Wasn't sure where to post this as it applies to both top and bottom insulation. Mods, feel free to move it if you wish.

I have been toying with the idea of a modular synthetic quilt system to give a wider range of combinations to fit more weather conditions. It would consist of the following:

Summer Top Quilt made with 2.5 oz. Climashield XP - 45 to 60 degree range.

Spring/Fall Top Quilt made with 5 oz. Climashield XP - 30 to 45 degree range. Oversized so that the summer quilt would fit inside (held in place with snaps/buttons) and together become a Winter quilt - 20 to 40 degree range.

2/3 Summer Under Quilt made with 2.5 oz. Climashield XP - 45 to 60 degree range.

Full size Spring/Fall Under Quilt made with 5 oz. Climashield XP - 30 to 45 degree range. The Summer UQ would again fit between the Full size UQ and the hammock (again held in place with snaps/buttons) and together becomming a Winter UQ - 20 to 40 degree range.

Any thoughts and/or comments would be appreciated. Are my ideas of degree ranges reasonable (I am a semi-warm sleeper)? Other than down, are there any other ideas on insulation?
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Can't say for sure, but I think you may need a little more insulation for an underquilt to get it to the same temp. rating as a top quilt.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    3 sets of quilts, eeek!!! I ended up making my 2 under and 2 top quilts at more extream temp ratings. I figured that if I was to hot with which ever one I'd packed, that I could always rig them up a bit looser (bottom quilt). And with the too hot top quilt, I can stick out my feet or kick off the quilt or raise it up to vent. My summer quilts go down to about 45 degrees and if I think it's gonna even be close to that temp at night, I'll go ahead and pack my winter under quilt, at the least. I like to have more insulation under me than on top too. I've also found that by adding a light weight piece of silk material over me (like using a top sheet), but under my top quilt, that it increases my temp ranges and weighs just about nill.

The only way to find out is to make and test them out.

confussed??? This just dawned on me..... Are you making 3 sets or putting 2 together and then calling it a 3rd quilt??
    Last edited by TinaLouise; 02-25-2010 at 07:57. Reason: confussion???

Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images
    I believe pegleg is talking about making four(4) total quilts- UQ&TQ for summer and UQ&TQ for spring/fall. RIGHT? And then combining the UQs and the TQs for a singular winter setup. RIGHT? I really like this idea of a modular setup, I would only be somewhat concerned with the bulk of all four Qs. BUT I have never dealt with XP so this is ONLY speculation. But I DO think this is areally cool idea
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cwayman1 View Post
    I would only be somewhat concerned with the bulk of all four Qs. BUT I have never dealt with XP so this is ONLY speculation. But I DO think this is areally cool idea
    It does a pretty good job of compressing......for a synthetic.

It will not be even a little compact or light in winter mode. My old synthetic Yeti is 16oz and the size of a 2 liter when packed and it's only a partial length underquilt. It could be compressed to about 70% of its packed size, but I fear loss of loft over time with too much compression on synthetics.

Still, if you're not a backpacker this sounds like an interesting set-up and I'm curious to see how it pans out.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    This sounds like a great plan.
    With the UQ in winter mode... I don't think you will need to have snaps or buttons. If you use a suspension system similar to the JRB suspension system, with a slight modification to support the 2/3 summer UQ. You can clip the 3 seasons UQ to the same suspension system.
    The modification requires a longer suspension line so the 2/3 UQ can be attached and two additional biners can be installed at the location where the 3 seasons UQ would be attached.
    With the TQ I personally wouldn’t add buttons or snaps. If you plan making them with a sewn in foot box then I would make one of your TQ slightly larger than the other (possibly the Summer one) so you can insert one of the TQ into the other. If you get too warm or hot you can flip one of them off you.
    Just my thoughts on your project.
    Let us know how it works ! ! PICTURES TOO !

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    I have a similar set of quilts that my wife made for me and I agree with the temp ratings for the top quilts. For the bottom quilts I might not go quite that low. My 5osy climashield underquilt was great in the high 30s but I wouldn't want to take it down to freezing.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    My 5osy climashield underquilt was great in the high 30s but I wouldn't want to take it down to freezing.
    Yes, but he's talking a 5oz plus a 2.5oz together for that low. So, 7.5oz climashield. That may work.

Here's a thought - I'm doing a very similar thing, but using snaps with Insultex as an add-on to the outside of the quilts. IX has had good results used in conjunction with a more form fitting insulation to remove air gaps.

I think your plan is simply marvelous!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    I was thinking along the a similar line about a year ago

Only realized it for the TQ but that was just because of missing time and money
    If you're using synth insulation you may find a way to use only one shell and add the layers of insulation seperately,
    that gives you a lighter winter mode and you save some money/work aswell.

I really have to make pictures like i promised last year but
    basically how i realised it was to add a longitudinal zip on the shell (centered, ~3/4 length)
    sew fabric stripes along the inner perimeter every 15 or so cm ,
    the insulation layer has holes every 15cm and is just tied in with the fabric stripes
    If i'd redo it i'd sew small fabric loops instead and tie in a short piece of string and take more time making the holes
    so the string is easy to pass trough , or go with plastic snaps

If you go with seperate quilts , you could consider making the one that's inside in winter mode out of down. Again less weight, and no penality in winter either because the dew point is in the outer layer and your down quilt is preserved
    If your worried about the work involved with down, so was i and used Primaloft
    after days of quilting it and taking care not to leave it sticking to everything i think i could just aswell have handled down and it was my first project ..
    Also i read something about a new kind of climashield ? its clo value should be higher than PrimaLoft One but it's said to be about as easy to handle as the standard climeshield

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I too am concerned with the weight and bulk of the full winter mode ..... I am figuring around 4.5 to 5 lbs. But when you consider that in my ground dwelling days my 30 degree sleeping bag weighed 3.5 lbs and my self-inflating pad went another 1 lb, I'm really no worse off. And the fact that my winter camping is usually no more than two nights, I think it's a load I can live with.

As far as the bulk, I am sure that both the summer and spring/fall set ups will fit inside my pack and in full winter mode I may have to attach part of it outside. Even in winter mode, I am confident I can keep my total pack weight to under 25 lbs.

I'll have to take a closer look at the JRB suspension to see if I can gleen any ideas from it (had planned on full suspension channels). Any ideas on the best place to find the Climashield (or other synthetic insulation) other than Thru-Hiker?
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast