Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I went down to my local Ace Hardware and purchased the gray one liter spray bottle that is impervious to chemicals.It has an adjustable twist type spray nozzle on it.I add 1.5 oz of Martin's 10% to the liter bottle and top off with water,shake it up,and spray my clothing(except underwear and liner socks).You can easily treat a change of clothes with just one liter of solution.

I used to make up enough solution in a bucket to soak my gear but that required hand wringing to remove the excess so I opted for a more no touch method.Yep,I wear chemical proof gloves either way.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I used to make up enough solution in a bucket to soak my gear but that required hand wringing to remove the excess so I opted for a more no touch method.
    No offense to those who do this, but that just seems like gross overkill to me. And I'm usually a fan of overkill.

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    I thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. You have convinced me to change from 5gal to a 2gal soak.

I’m glad that you mentioned to subtract the amount of water that I would be adding the permethrin. Otherwise, I would have taken 2gal and just add the permethrin on top of that.

As soon as I have the next day off (probably Monday), I will try the solution and dunk my gear/clothing.

Also, I ordered and received a half gallon bottle of picaridin (lotion). I like how the warning label says, “Causes substantial but temporary eye injury.” I’ll have to be extra careful because I use my arms a lot to wipe sweat away from my face.

Again, I really appreciate the opinions and advice given from everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    For those of you concerned about waste from the dunking method:

As long as the items you are treating are freshly washed and clean and your solution doesn’t turn black from other chemicals, there’s no reason to not take any excess and pour into a spray bottle for later use, such as late season touch up spray on your gear.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    I thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. You have convinced me to change from 5gal to a 2gal soak.

I’m glad that you mentioned to subtract the amount of water that I would be adding the permethrin. Otherwise, I would have taken 2gal and just add the permethrin on top of that.

As soon as I have the next day off (probably Monday), I will try the solution and dunk my gear/clothing.

Also, I ordered and received a half gallon bottle of picaridin (lotion). I like how the warning label says, “Causes substantial but temporary eye injury.” I’ll have to be extra careful because I use my arms a lot to wipe sweat away from my face.

Again, I really appreciate the opinions and advice given from everyone.

Chino, now that you'll have your gear all ready for the outdoors, you can come out and play on the last weekend of September for Summer's Last Gasp Hang in Ocala. The planning thread will be up soon.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo

Permethrin Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Chino, now that you'll have your gear all ready for the outdoors, you can come out and play on the last weekend of September for Summer's Last Gasp Hang in Ocala. The planning thread will be up soon.
    I’ll have to check the calendar. I’ll be honest, I don’t do well in muggy heat. My hammock will collect so much sweat that I will have my own pool.

It’s why I like to camp more toward winter. Anytime between Dec-Mar is perfect. Apr-Nov is sweat time.

Ok, so I mixed 2gals, including the 13oz (rounded up) of permethrin. I dunked three uniform pants, four uniform tops, two baseball caps, 12 pairs of socks (calf only, not the foot portion), bug netting and the winter top cover to the Chameleon, and 6x shemaghs.

The more I dunked, the dirtier the solution became, even though all of my cloths were washed before hand. I suspect some dye bled through. I still have plenty of solution left, approximately a gal left. I’m glad you talked me out of making 5 gals. I would have had enough to dunk my squad’s uniforms.

I stored the rest in a Home Depot bucket and sealed it with a lid. Are there any issues with storing it in a climate controlled room (not the garage), and dunk more gear later? Again, the solution is really dark, almost black.

With all the rain we had today, I’m going to test my treated uniforms in the woods to see how effective it will be.

Again, I appreciated everyone’s advice and input into this.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Can someone please provide a link to the specific Permethrin you are using to soak? I heard some is only suitable for livestock and not humans/clothing. I have been using the Sawyer spray bottles but want to move to soaking. Thanks

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Look for Martin's 10% Permethrin. Any 10% solution should be Permethrin in water. The higher concentrations are in petroleum distillate - they are ok to use, but may have a paint thinner smell for a while after treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    Look for Martin's 10% Permethrin. Any 10% solution should be Permethrin in water. The higher concentrations are in petroleum distillate - they are ok to use, but may have a paint thinner smell for a while after treatment.
    I just sprayed my gear last week with the Gordon's I bought at Tractor Supply Co ( https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...z?cm_vc=-10005 ). This does have the petroleum base and there is an odor after spraying. I treated my gear in the garage and let it hang for 24 hours, then moved everything outside and to bake in the sun. The odor will go away eventually, especially when you get that hiker funk after you've been out in the woods for a while.

1oz of concentrate to a 20oz spray bottle will get you the correct spray ratio and take care of those nasty ticks and other creatures.
    Last edited by michigandave; 08-14-2018 at 06:43.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    For those of you concerned about waste from the dunking method:

As long as the items you are treating are freshly washed and clean and your solution doesn’t turn black from other chemicals, there’s no reason to not take any excess and pour into a spray bottle for later use, such as late season touch up spray on your gear.

That's what I did last time and it worked well. Mixed a gallon in a 5-gallon bucket. Squished around all of my soft goods (socks, shirts, pants, head net, hats etc ...) and hung to dry. Poured what was left into a little spray bottle and sprayed the rest of my larger gear like boots, pack, etc ...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast