Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving from Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip to Warbonnet? Something Else?

I've been using a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip for several years, and I really like it a lot, with a few things I would like to change

My son is outgrowing his Hennessy Scout, so he will be getting it as a hand me down.

Things I would like to change about the Hennessy
    • Suspension - I'd like to have a longer range between trees, and larger straps around trees. I'm thinking Whoopie Slings with long straps would be a nice upgrade from the hennessy Default suspension
    • Double Bottom Layer - I'd like the ability to use a pad underneath. I have an UQ, but I'd like to be able to double up for cold weather.
    • Larger Tarp - I'd like to have a larger tarp that can cover me more, and offer some privacy for changing. Tent Style tarp would be awesome. Might need to be a separate aftermarket purchase.

Weight/size is not a huge factor for me. If I am backpacking, its only going to be for 1-2 nights. Anything that is not a lot larger than the Hennessy I have not will be fine. (And I know a larger tarp will increase that size)

I'm trying to decide what to upgrade to. I've been looking at the Warbonnet, but I'm sure there are a few other options I should consider.

Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has pics or an explanation of the WB shelf, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by CubmasterTony; 07-30-2018 at 17:08.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I have owned two Hennessey s, warbonnet Xlc and ridgerunner, AMOK , dream hammock sparrow and simply light design trail lair.

My SLD trail lair is my favorite and most comfortable. DH sparrow very close behind.

Images
    You don't need a double layer to use a pad. The only real reason to have a double layer is your weight.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    You don't need a double layer to use a pad. The only real reason to have a double layer is your weight.
    I don't totally agree. While I'm no big fan of pads, putting one in a pocket between two layers of fabric is a whole lot easier to deal with than a loose pad in a hammock.

Secondly, I haven't used a pad in years but I wouldn't trade my double layer BBXLC for a single layer. I'm not large, so I don't need two layers to handle weight. I have two layers to provide the combination of a nice feel (of cloth that isn't too heavy) and the firmness that the two layers provide. This is NOT a backpacking hammock.

CubmasterTony,

You point out most of what many of us consider to be the major shortcomings of the Hennessy hammocks: inferior suspension and marginal flies.

The cure for the suspension is to put CLs on the hammock and then you can use any suspension you want. I wouldn't go to Whoopies if weight is not really an issue. Sure, they're "cool" to have (and say) but a basic strap system could serve you very well with minimal fiddling.

You can always get a different tarp! FWIW, most good hammocks don't include a tarp. Too many options and preferences. Tarps are purchased separately, sometimes from the same vendor, sometimes not. Even Hennessy offers an option.

Those changes would turn your Explorer into a great hand-me-down.

Sounds like you'd like to have a tarp with doors, maybe even a winter tarp. Many choices out there.

If you're looking for quality on par with the WB, take a look at DH's and Dutch's offerings, maybe SLD as well.

(Hopefully you'll be ScoutMasterTony some day...)

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    My first hammock was a HH Explorer UL Asym (bottom entry). I changed the suspension to CLs, and had 2Q2Z modify the hammock with zippers along the bugnet so I could enter either through the bottom or the top. I'm 6'2", 180 lbs, and I found it to be a little on the small side, and tight mostly at the ends. Part of that was probably due to squeeze from the SnugPak UQ suspension. I was using the original tiny diamond tarp with that... never any real issues there, but I never ended up camping in anything but perfect weather. Mainly due to comfort issues, I decided I'd try another setup.

My next (and current) hammock is a SL BBXLC. In terms of comfort, if the HH is a 5 out of 10, the XLC is a 9. I'm sure it helps that I'm also using a Wooki UQ. I went with an XLC due to reading about it on these forums, and because it was right around then that XLC v2.0 came out. I've also tried two other larger tarps since then, with the third in my gear box for my next trip. I've found I prefer the flexibility and privacy of a large tarp over the packability of a small one.

My goal is to have one general-use setup for me, and eventually, one for my son or to loan out. That is why I'm leaning towards a Chameleon as my next hammock(s). I understand from reading and watching videos that I wouldn't be surrendering much if anything in the way of comfort, and I'll be gaining modularity and expandability... and the possibility of the double Dutch configuration. That appeals to me.

I have nothing bad to say about the HH, but I found the XLC to be a dramatic upgrade. I'm pretty sure you'd find that to be the case for any of the cottage hammock makers here.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some intel.
    You can just lay a pad in a single layer if you want.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Some intel.
    You can just lay a pad in a single layer if you want.
    Shug

I can use a pad in a single layer, and have - but it’s a huge pain. I’d much rather have the 2 layer instead. I mainly use an UQ, but just in case I need more insulation adding a pad would be good.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    I recently upgraded from a Hennessy Explorer Asym Zip to a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. The Hennessy served me great for a couple of years as a way to get introduced to hammocking and I'll be happy to pass it on to my 14 yr old son and I'm sure he'll get plenty of use out of it. I did swap out the Hennessy suspension for continious loops using straps and cinch buckles and that was a great upgrade. But, quite frankly, there is no comparison between it and my Trail Lair. The TL feels like a palace compared to the Hennessy. Size, comfort, material...everything. Just my 2 cents.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    SLD, Warbonnet, Dream Hammock, Dutchware... they're all good. And many others. I'd definitely put them above Hennessy.

I don't like whoopies because they have a longer "minimum" hang distance... they can only shorten so much. How about some really long straps with buckles? 12-15' should get you as far as you could possibly hang that thing up, I'd imagine.

Lots of good options. Get a double layer hammock from one of those companies, get a big tarp (Warbonnet Superfly?), get a nice long strap/buckle suspension (Warbonnet and Dutchware make good ones) and be happy!

Side note... Warbonnet is comfy, but some people find that the foot box design causes a little bit of an air gap with non-Warbonnet underquilts, which could cause a little bit of cold. A Wooki UQ fits like a glove though

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast