Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Turtledog Stand with folding legs?

Alright, so I have tried to searching for this to see if there is already a description, or if someone tried it and failed, but wondering if anyone has made a turtledog stand with folding legs so you can set it in the trunk of a car?

Sorry if this is already out there somewhere, I have not been able to find it though.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere in the Turtledog Stand thread is a post about a guy that bought 16 of the 4 foot army antenna mast poles and assembled them into a full turtledog stand. If you did that you could disassemble the stand into a pile of four foot poles and would be able to haul it. I could not get 16 of these poles, but I got 4 of them, and I use them for the rail that goes from tripod to tripod. I got them for about six dollars per pole. But on looking at EBAY these days, they are more.

This could be useful for some ideas.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    Alright, so I have tried to searching for this to see if there is already a description, or if someone tried it and failed, but wondering if anyone has made a turtledog stand with folding legs so you can set it in the trunk of a car?

Sorry if this is already out there somewhere, I have not been able to find it though.

Cheers

TurtleDogs have been made using Mil-Surp antenna/camo netting stands. Each TD leg is made using two sections, so they can be broken down and put into a car trunk.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tledog+surplus

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks all,I have seen the military surplus one, but curious if anyone has put hinges on the 2x2 legs that are regularly used?

Also, some confusion is what length people cut those to? I see some at 4’ some at 6’ and some at 8’

Advantages/disadvantages to these heights?

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

Fast Ham,

I kept my 2 X 2's at 8 feet length. I just like it higher. It almost duplicates the height and hang angle I am used to with trees.

I am not sure Id trust the hinged legs. Or should I say, I an not sure I'd trust my construction of the them. I am not the most handiest of people.

Just spent last night in the TDS, for the first time. It was a great night ( bright moon and shooting stars ). The stand performed perfectly.

Best 70.00 I ever spent. Also did it as a project with my adult so its near and dear to my heart.

Have a good day.

Bob

I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Hmmm, I wonder if I could use aluminum and slide another piece inside the other and have 2 or 3 pins go through drilled out holes that line up.

I drive a car... the struggle is real...

If you happen to locate yourself a set of car roof racks that lock down into place good enough, then do as l did.... to be honest l don't believe there is a great lot of weighing or hammock load implemented placed on the roof racks as these really are holding out the top bar that is supported by the stands at each end...

A scrap metal yard close by my place offered all these lengths of scaffolding and other tubes required, l did extend the top bar, however even here using a match of telescopic lengths of tube this section could be halved down and halved down again, to give a compact hammock rack that lives on the roof racks.

It essentially slides out to set up and back in, stays in place with a couple a pins to stop it sliding out.... each up right or leg is adjustable using pins to reach the desired hammock height.... each leg also to clamp on the roof...

It's no doubt is a little rustic, l am no expert here but anyone with some metal work background may be able to prefab a pretty neat set up for hammock car camping enthusiasts.
    IMG_3073.jpgIMG_3075.jpgIMG_3077.jpg

Cabbo,

Nice work. Looks pretty slick.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if I could use aluminum and slide another piece inside the other and have 2 or 3 pins go through drilled out holes that line up.

I drive a car... the struggle is real...

Sir, I drive a 2005 Ford Focus. I built this turtle dog stand to fit in my car. My Ridgepole is 15' long too. Well, it's two pieces. But it works very well for 11 foot hammocks ( I've have slept in both a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0 and my Dutchware Chameleon Wide) using the stand.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast