Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB ELD / SLD TL / HH Del. Expl.
    Tarp
    SLD / Hen / HG
    Insulation
    HG Econ/CDT Gemini

Help me decide - Full length UQ or 3/4 length and sit pad for feet?

I am itching to order a HammockGear underquilt with some birthday money, but can't decide between a full length or 3/4 length quilt. I like the idea of a 3/4 underquilt bc it's cheaper, lighter, packs smaller, etc. My primary hammock currently is also a Hennessy Deluxe Explorer (bottom entry) too, so I'm thinking it may be easier to get in around a 3/4 quilt than a full length one.

However, once it gets cold, I want to be warm all over. I'm willing to trade a little space and extra weight for comfort and a good night's sleep. And a full length underquilt is the ideal for this in my mind. So, help me weigh the trade-offs please.

How effectively does the 3/4 quilt and a sit pad in your top quilt footbox work? Anybody have complaints about this? Is it truly the equivalent of a full-length underquilt?

What other considerations am I missing, i.e., what is it I don't know that I don't know?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    there's a lot of folks who swear by the torso length quilts, with a sit pad in the footbox (Shug's probably the most well known)

i think in a lot of ways it's just a mind game, and if you're cool with realizing your feet are fine since they're in a footbox AND have a sitpad, then you should be good to go

I use a full length in my sunroom as my brain always let me know that the edge of the shorter quilt was there

but i'm 99% sure it was just a mind thing

but really tho, what temps are you camping in? I think if you're above -5c(20ish degrees F) a torso length should be np at all

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My personal opinion is go with the full length quilt. I tried the 3/4 and a foot pad, but I toss and turn a lot so the foot pad never stayed in place. Too much of a hassle for me. That being said, during warmer weather I get away with a 3/4 quilt and a pair of wool socks. But in cold weather, there's no way I'd go back to a short quilt.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The best is to have both styles.
    UQ intel.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My Hammockgear Phincubator is my all-time favorite. Right in between a phoenix and incubator. Custom 30° at 62". I'm 5'9" and it covers me from the base of my neck to a couple inches past my feet for good measure.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I am itching to order a HammockGear underquilt with some birthday money, but can't decide between a full length or 3/4 length quilt. I like the idea of a 3/4 underquilt bc it's cheaper, lighter, packs smaller, etc. My primary hammock currently is also a Hennessy Deluxe Explorer (bottom entry) too, so I'm thinking it may be easier to get in around a 3/4 quilt than a full length one.

However, once it gets cold, I want to be warm all over. I'm willing to trade a little space and extra weight for comfort and a good night's sleep. And a full length underquilt is the ideal for this in my mind. So, help me weigh the trade-offs please.

How effectively does the 3/4 quilt and a sit pad in your top quilt footbox work? Anybody have complaints about this? Is it truly the equivalent of a full-length underquilt?

What other considerations am I missing, i.e., what is it I don't know that I don't know?
    20°F and above, I'm fine with 3/4+CCF sit pad (actually 55" EE Revolt which, on the diagonal, is more than 3/4 for me @5'9"). Below that, full-length Incubator.

But that's me. Honestly, you won't know for sure if it works for you until you spend a full night or 2 out in cold weather. Most people on HF seem to prefer full length and that is without doubt the safest route to take. But you'll never know if a 3/4 would've worked, so... hmm...
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Help me decide - Full length UQ or 3/4 length and sit pad for feet?

For me...
    20 and warmer - 3/4 length
    Less than 20 - full length.

I’m primarily a backpacker so weight and stuff size matter to me. I also want to be warm and haven’t had any issues down to 15-20* so far. Less than that, I have a diy peapod that I use... but honestly I haven’t been out much under 20*.

FWIW...my sit pad doesn’t move around inside my foot box and I sleep like a rotisserie chicken. I think it depends on what kind you use. I have used some that are frustrating so I understand where this is coming from.

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    I’m a cold sleeper, so full-length UQ all the way, no matter what temps (for the most part). I also cannot afford both, so I erred on the side of comfort/warmth vs. options and a bit less weight.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For a good quality quilt there's not a big weight penalty for full length vs torso length. My recommendation is to buy a full length UQ 1st if you're on the fence. If you really dig on long distance backpacking & hanging then then you may want to save those couple of ounces with 3/4 length. Personally, I use my sit pad under my butt when it gets chilly out so I don't have an extra one for my feet

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Full length for sure, even in Mississippi. I have JRB Nest that I bought for my Hennessey many years ago. While my Hennessey is gone, I still use my Nest almost every time I go out. Even in the summer in Georgia.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast