Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Go Outfitters!
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I'm SO excited to show you our official logo for BACONFEST camping weekend!!! Look for our new banner at the campsite!!! I can't wait to get our group picture around it!

◘ July 12-14: DaShack Hang @ Iola, WI ◘ July 18-21: 2nd Annual Boat in Hang @ Tommy Thompson S.P. ◘ May 15-17: BACONFEST 2020 @ Lake Wissota S.P. ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 42 months ◘

Karla - can you please tell me the site location and directions? I don't remember getting them. thank you!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Go Outfitters!
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    Karla - can you please tell me the site location and directions? I don't remember getting them. thank you!
    We are at Devil's Lake State park in the group site area (it's on the south side of the park). I'll send you the video I made with the info.
    ◘ July 12-14: DaShack Hang @ Iola, WI ◘ July 18-21: 2nd Annual Boat in Hang @ Tommy Thompson S.P. ◘ May 15-17: BACONFEST 2020 @ Lake Wissota S.P. ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 42 months ◘

Rain expected Friday, storms Saturday and Sunday. What do you think??

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Go Outfitters!
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    Rain expected Friday, storms Saturday and Sunday. What do you think??
    BACONFEST happens rain or shine! Actually, rain is becoming a tradition as we've had rain at every single BACONFEST!

I've been watching the weather for the past two weeks and yesterday I spoke with the rangers. The trails remain open, but advise against taking either of the steep trails down on the East Bluff (the Potholes trail or the Balanced Rock trail). They are hard on a non-slippery day! Alternative option is to go back down the East Bluff Trail and then take the paved Tumbled Rocks trail on the West bluff (runs along the lake) back to camp.

FYI: 2019 Big Ten Rowing Championships will be happening on Sunday on the lake. They will be practicing on Saturday. So, we'll see more people in the park than we normally would. It won't really affect us much. People can still fish on the north end of the lake since the races will be happening on the south end. Here's a website with the info and where you can live stream the races: https://uwbadgers.com/sports/2019/4/...p-central.aspx

We will seek out a pavilion for lunch and the ranger said we could eat inside the concession building too. Since we've got some with pets, we'll find a pavilion for lunch. I plan to bring some cards and hang out in the pavilion for a while before heading back to camp (or maybe I'll head back for a nap!).

Plan for rain and mud. Bring extra tarps and rope. Don't forget your drip-lines.

Don't buy any wood at the park. Instead buy wood outside with the park (like at a gas station) which comes from a certified wood dealer. (You can buy this wood anywhere in the state). This way if we don't use the wood, then you can use it at another park. Current weather websites say 40% chance of rain for Friday dinner and 50% for Saturday dinner. So, who knows. Maybe we will be able to have a fire or maybe we won't.

It's good to get experience with your gear in the rain. Good to know how to set up your hammock under a tarp. Good to be able to plan for bad weather so you'll be more confident when bad weather is unexpected. Good to be in a group where many can help out if you have questions.

(Personally, I'm looking forward to some amazing sleep in the rain.)

Sunday's hike to Parfrey's Glen is still on as of now. It's always been optional and we'll see on Sunday morning if we all are eager to get home or embrace the rain and get totally soaked.
    Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 05-16-2019 at 10:01.

You're a wild woman! Love it. I can handle rain, but if it's storming it won't be much fun for me to be outside. I'll keep watching the weather as well. thank you

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345