Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Product Review: ProVenture 12' Hex Hammock Tarp

This is a fantastic tarp at a value price. This tarp is comparable to the Chill Gorilla Hex Tarp. They are similar sized and use the same material.(I have both). I would bet the are manufactured at the same factory and the major difference being the branding. While I feel like an advertising billboard with the Chill Gorilla's oversized logo, the ProVenture is more subtle, though still prominent. The other difference is the ProVenture includes brass grommets on each of the 6 tieouts. This add a little weight and the ProVenture is a fraction of an ounce heavier than the Chill Gorilla, however they are extremely useful in setting up in porch mode. The end of a trekking pole or stick fits without tying or poking the fabric.

The ProVenture Hex Tarp is 142" along the Ridgeline and 144" including the tie-outs. It is 110" wide. This provides plenty of coverage for an 11' hammock on the most blustery of days or nights. The package includes two stuff sacks, one for the tarp, and one for steaks and accessories. Both stuff sacks have slide closures. 4 stakes and 6 color matching diamond braided with a reflective strand guylines (3m ~10' long) are included with plastic line tensioners. I found these to be excessively long and cut 2 of them in half to provide the corner guylines. The tie outs are of .75" nylon strap material. They are strong and the corners are reinforced where they are sewn in. The stitching in the tarp is quality, though mass production is evident at thread ends can be found. Though they are quickly trimmed.

The tarp weighs 23 oz. and the whole kit including lines, bags etc. weighs 28 oz. The material is a rip-stop coated nylon advertised as 210D material. This tarp is a champ. One of the best features is they are extremely competitively priced at $29.99 (August 2018) on Amazon. This tarp has been featured with a Vipon.com coupon one in the fall of 2017, though I have not seen it return, though I have seen similar tarps with coupons since then.

Performance: Top notch. I have now used this tarp for approximately 20 nights over the last year. I have been in rain several times and freezing rain twice. The material can soak up a little water adding weight until dry. Also, when wet the tarp can be a little difficult to put in the tight fitting stuff sack. The Chill Gorilla stuff sack is more generous. Though when dry there are no issues. The material is strong and hold up to wend well. I have the teal color and during the day it allows plenty of light through. I also have the dark blue and black versions and they block light nicely if that is desirable.

I would highly recommend this tarp for anyone looking for a quality tarp made for hammocking. It is also an excellent tarp for backpacking. At 26 oz. it is not the lightest out there, but I run a base pack weight in the 15 lb range with a shelter system that cost under $60.00 retail.

I'm super impressed with the quality of this tarp, and it has performed well.

In summary the ProVenture 12' Hammock Hex Tarp is a high quality inexpensive that out performs what one might expect for the price.

If you have a question or I missed an aspect you'd like to see let me know.
    IMG_1336.jpgprov2.jpgIMG_1282.jpgMFUJ6721.jpgIMG_0264.jpg
    Picture Guide:
    1) Tarp only Weight 1lb 7 oz.
    2) Tarp kit weight 1 lb 12 oz.
    3) Along the AT near Mt. Rodger, Va.
    4) The ProVenture and Chill Gorilla side by side at the Red River Gorge. Showing off their respective logos.
    5) Winter along the Wildcat Hollow trail in Wayne NF.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Excellent review. Thank you.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Nice, thanks for the review!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Product Update: Now 4 years in and nearly 100 nights using this tarp it is still my go to and main tarp for all my trips. The Tarp is still available on Amazon ($37.99 5/4/21). I fold and roll the tarp when I put it away and hang to dry completely when I return home. This care has proven to be worth it as the tarp does not show abnormal ware. The Tarp does have some staining from sap, birds, wild cherries, and general use. Cleaning with a medium bristle brush and cold water works well on all but the worst spots.

Weather conditions this tarp has been in include Sunny pleasant days to hard driving rain, Wet heavy snow of 4+ inches and other winter conditions. It is a standard hex tarp so it is not designed for conditions requiring a tarp with doors.

I would still highly recommend this tarp, particularly, if you are looking for a budget conscious option, don't want to impress or care what other people think, or just do not want to worry that your $300+ DFC might get nipped when you are on a day hike.

c.jpg

1: A sunny day at Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV. Note: I left my Trap ridgeline here....
    2: The very next night at Dolly Sods 4" wet heavy snow. Knew it was coming so pitched very steep to let snow slide off. Can see the reflective lines that come with the tarp.
    3: Rainy day near the Frank Lloyd Wright house: Falling Water, PA Added a supplementary side tarp to provide common area for the group. We named it Dripping Water.
    4: Double hammock configuration with the Chill Gorilla on another raining night.
    5: March 2021 on the Zaleski State Forest Trail, OH: Another overnight snow storm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 05-05-2021 at 10:39.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Eno DryFly
    Insulation
    OneTigriss 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I also have this tarp and it's been great

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the detailed review and follow up !

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I've owned this tarp and it is sturdy. It's a little heavy compared to something like silpoly or DCF but it will last forever. I discovered it by accident when a boy scout left it behind after a camp out. When I researched it online and saw the price after seeing it in person I went ahead and bought one of my own.

• + New Posts