Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Solo dangers.

Shug's always saying that he's a solo hiker at heart and I'm right there with him, or at least I was. I've always loved the solitude and empowerment of taking on the mountain or great traverses on my own two legs, with only my own experience and knowledge to guide me. Well, recently I decided to take a three day hike in the Tanzawa mountian range in central Japan. Everything went fine for the first two days. Beautiful views and steep climb after steep climb. On the morning of the third day, I was disappointed when clouds obscurred my view of the majestic Mt. Fuji. See, Mt. Tanzawa is reported to have the best view of Fuji in all of Japan. So rather than continue on the route I had intended, I took an escape route of shorter length so I could get out earlier and get home to my wife. Hiking from peak to peak on steep ridges, I hit a wall.

Not a mental wall, a rock wall, 40 feet high. It was very craggly and would be great for a beginners climbing course, but with no ropes, person to belay me, or cell phone coverage, I was stuck. Looking down both sides of the ridge, the valley floor was hidden by thick clouds, but I knew that it had to be hundreds of feet down. I could turn around, but there was no way I'd make it out by nightfall and I had to be at work the next morning.

I have always been afraid of heights. The Navy has helped with this a lot, but not to this extent. The fear of falling and rolling off the ridge down the mountain consumed me. I stood for at least 10 minutes shaking, literally, pondering the risk. I made a sincere prayer I tightened my pack straps and started up the cliff. I had been using an Osprey Atmos 65, which I love, but it's not meant for climbing. A few feet up it began to shift far left and right on my back as I lift one extremity at a time to the rough holds. Climbing very slowly and taking a few breaks when I could get my feet under me, I made it to the top. I instantly fell to my knees. My arms and legs were aching, but heart was screaming.

The shakes and jitters took several minutes to diminish enough for me to realize what I had just done. I conquered my fears. I took a risk with faith and prevailed. I could have turned around, but I think I needed to prove to myself that I could do it. That's what it's all about I think. That event has literally changed my life. Not outwardly, but inside. It changed the way I see myself in the mirror. I'm 23 years old and until then had never felt the fear of death and when the opportunity arose, I took it and now I feel more alive than ever.

Looking back, I was stupid for climbing that wall. I have too much to live for to risk my life. I will definately research the terrain better and take a friend with me when I'm unsure of the trail conditions. I will also not be changing plans anymore. I had already planned my route, but changed it on a whim. As HE commands, I must be thankful for all things and it's the experience that I'm thankful for, plus the wisdom to not do dumb crap like that.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 02-26-2010 at 05:46. Reason: Spelling
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Glad you're here to tell your story Highstrung. I had a similar experience about a year ago while geocaching in the Green River Gamelands. Here is part of my post:

It was no accident that we were passing quite close to this cache final. I hate giving up. We doffed our gear and plunged in yet again. Since I had traversed this beautiful area for several hours/miles prior, I attacked it with the feeling of 'coming home' - WRONG! Once again I found myself in precarious places. Definitely found some magnificent, new, huge overhangs (wish I brought my camera). On more than one occasion I found myself screwed. No way up or down. Only to have to traverse across nothing but lots of leaves and soon to be snapped off saplings or decayed vegetation. Took several slides where I thought to myself, as I was sliding uncontrollably at the mercy of this cliff, "I just hope I don't get hurt 'that' bad".
    Well, I'm alive to say, "Enough!". I am grateful for pushing myself and the envelope, I am thankful for the amazing views I took in from places that few people on the planet have ever found themselves, and I bow to the mountain for allowing me to write this log.
    It is however discomforting when you survive something and it's not entirely your fault. Luck should not be a factor.

I was not alone, but my hiking partner HB (only 50 yds away/above) could not hear me at all.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Kon-bahn-wa......
    Terrific tale Highstrung.
    Been a situation not unlike that myself .... never forget them
    Mata-ne
    Shug-san
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Kon-bahn-wa......
    Terrific tale Highstrung.
    Been a situation not unlike that myself .... never forget them
    Mata-ne
    Shug-san
    Domo arigato gozaimasu Shug-san.... Now you go on and have yerself a good'n ya hear?
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Whew ... they're all good when you can walk away from them. Been there a few times myself!

Now if you'd be old Bear from Man vs Wild ... you'd have done it properly by stripping down naked and eating a rotting goat's eye ball before you started up that rock!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Looking back, I was stupid for climbing that wall. I have too much to live for to risk my life. I will definately research the terrain better and take a friend with me when I'm unsure of the trail conditions. I will also not be changing plans anymore. I had already planned my route, but changed it on a whim. As HE commands, I must be thankful for all things and it's the experience that I'm thankful for, plus the wisdom to not do dumb crap like that.
    You really grew inside to write that paragraph.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yea, what I call TSAs (Transient Stupid Attacks) are one reason to have a partner, hopefully a partner can help keep you from being a Darwin Award winner.

That said: I still prefer to solo, even though I still have the occasional TSA. All in all, sounds like you still had a good trip, with a touch of near death to spice things up.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I still prefer solo. Bush-whacking is sometimes problematic. Been in many situations where I had to turn-around and go back rather than risk going up/down a steep rock face. If I'm hiking off-trail, I plan for the worst (re-tracing my steps).

Glad you were able to tell your story.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Been in a few of those situations myself. TSA's are never fun. Anytime you can walk away from them is great. But, that's how we learn and grow.

Look at the bright side. You can tell your grandkids about this.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Whew ... they're all good when you can walk away from them. Been there a few times myself!

Now if you'd be old Bear from Man vs Wild ... you'd have done it properly by stripping down naked and eating a rotting goat's eye ball before you started up that rock!
    so thats what i didn't do.......

But...we don't have goats....i wonder if a deers eye will work Hmmmmm
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast