Tarp
    Donít have one yet

Costco underquilt

Well I had a Costco down throw I bought a couple of years ago and I decided to do an underquilt with it. I seam ripped it to make baffles and trimmed it to 45Ē wide. I added grosgrain channels and shock cord with S biners for the suspension. I attempted an overnight on the AT last night but after I got everything set up I ended up having to bail and have my wife come get me due to an ankle injury. But the underquilt hung great and felt super comfortable.

Next Iím going to do a top quilt but Iíll need to get two to make it longer since Iím 6í2Ē and Iíll be using snaps and add a grosgrain channel to close up the foot box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Hexon 12'
    Insulation
    UQ and bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I tested mine last night. I didn't bother to rip the seams as it made no sense to me to have all the down bunched up on the bottom of the UQ. The temp got down to the mid 60s and I was a bit hot. I also sewed a footbox on the other throw and used it as a top quilt. The combination was nice and comfortable. I have a synthetic UQ that I'll stack with this one when the temps get lower but the Costco throws make a great, low cost, easy to make insulation set.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    COGS Hex/Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    UHMWPE/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    I tested mine last night. I didn't bother to rip the seams as it made no sense to me to have all the down bunched up on the bottom of the UQ. The temp got down to the mid 60s and I was a bit hot. I also sewed a footbox on the other throw and used it as a top quilt. The combination was nice and comfortable. I have a synthetic UQ that I'll stack with this one when the temps get lower but the Costco throws make a great, low cost, easy to make insulation set.
    There is a lot of down trapped in the seams. Seam-ripping frees up most if it, so you get more loft and a warmer quilt. FWIW, I've never had issues with down migration with my CDTs, and have taken them to under 40į and still been pretty warm.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I've done quilts both ways, both top and bottom... and at these temp-ratings, I can't honestly tell the difference.
    The CDTs are simply the best cheap solution out there regardless of how you detail them.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Dyneema/Poly
    Nice job on the quilt!!! They are, in my opinion, the best value in down warm-weather quilts. I've used my TQ to 51F and could maybe go a little lower. I did a version of this and it is long enough for me at over 6'1", w/a little extra. Only one CDT needed! You can use the other for pants, a hat, and sleeves.

And yes, seam-ripping the horizontal seams releases a lot of down. Next to none is trapped in the other seams since they apparently, are in place prior to filling with down. Keeping the vertical seams helps reduce down shifting so I use this method. The added 2 sections are horizontal, like the pictures. Not an issue as this is not a cold weather piece of gear.
    Last edited by Otter1; 08-11-2018 at 19:12.

Tarp
    Donít have one yet
    I definitely am impressed with how well it works. I still need to get my hands on more since funds are too limited to buy the economy quilts from hammock gear. But Iím glad I found about these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk