Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Calf ridge = charlie horse?

So, started hammock camping about 6mo ago. I have a SLD. I am a big guy 300# give or take. I have woke up 2 different times while ham-mocking with bad charlie horses. Last night I woke up 2x, once for each leg and they were brutal. Couldn't get my fat *** outta the hammock fast enough. Very very very rarely get these at home so I can only imagine it has something to do with either the angle or the way I am laying. The hammock I have is wide enough that even if the calf ridge is poor due to hammock angle, i can still lay diagonal and get my feet in the foot box at the end.

Just curious what your guys thoughts were on this.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Is this after hiking? You might be somewhat dehydrated, so even though it might mean getting up more in the night, drinking enough water before bed may help.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Is this after hiking? You might be somewhat dehydrated, so even though it might mean getting up more in the night, drinking enough water before bed may help.
    Thought about that too. Not necessarily hiking, but wheeling in the mountains so a lot of short hiking in and out of the truck, up and down the trails and stuff. Was pretty good about staying hydrated but we were also drinking beer soo...

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Calf ridge is really obvious. It feels like your leg is balanced on a pole running under your calf. I couldn't sleep at all with a short hammock because of it. It may be hyperextended knees. That can be cured by raising the leg end a bit higher (about 6 inches for me) than the head. Also, making sure you are laying in a diagonal. You really need your legs to be flat or put a big pillow under your knees.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I got calf ridge on three hammocks - HH Expedition Asym Zip, Byer Moskito Hammock, and Warbonnet Blackbird. The first two were 9 ft. long and the Blackbird was 10 ft. long.

I moved to 11 ft. long, simple, gathered-end hammocks and haven't gotten calf ridge since. I initially associated my calf cramps with the zippers on hammocks with integrated bugnets. However, I won an 11 ft. Chameleon last year, and haven't gotten any calf cramps in that either. So personally, I think it's the length of the hammock that causes calf ridge.

BTW, I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs. It could be that you aren't laying at a 30* angle - some people have a hard time doing that (for some reason). Others find relief from calf ridge by putting a pillow underneath their knees. Others find relief from calf ridge by making sure the foot end is 6 to 12 inches higher than the head end.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I got calf ridge on three hammocks - HH Expedition Asym Zip, Byer Moskito Hammock, and Warbonnet Blackbird. The first two were 9 ft. long and the Blackbird was 10 ft. long.

I moved to 11 ft. long, simple, gathered-end hammocks and haven't gotten calf ridge since. I initially associated my calf cramps with the zippers on hammocks with integrated bugnets. However, I won an 11 ft. Chameleon last year, and haven't gotten any calf cramps in that either. So personally, I think it's the length of the hammock that causes calf ridge.

BTW, I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs. It could be that you aren't laying at a 30* angle - some people have a hard time doing that (for some reason). Others find relief from calf ridge by putting a pillow underneath their knees. Others find relief from calf ridge by making sure the foot end is 6 to 12 inches higher than the head end.
    I have an 11' gathered end with built in net. Previously had basically the same hammock with out the net and had them then too. I fell like I get a good diagonal lay but maybe not. I typically try to put my straps even on the trees, I will try raising the foot end ~6" next time.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe some help here......
    Keep at it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Pillow under the knees... nuff said!
    (or stuffsack, jacket, spare clothes, etc)

In another thread one of the regulars mentioned that sometimes he experiences calf ridge issues with a hammock that generally doesn't cause any problems. That said, putting dehydration aside, it had to come down to either how the hammock was hung or how he was laying in it. I've experienced the same thing. Some times, and particularly with certain hammocks, it seems that's it's difficult to get all the geometry right consistently. I think some hammocks, by design (or whatever) have bigger sweet spots.

I find it really frustrating experiencing a leg cramp after many continuous nights of not having any problems, but I do find it happening. And this only seems to happen when sleeping in a hammock. I think it just has to be accepted as part of the deal. If I had this problem regularly, I'd either go the pillow route or try a different hammock that might be okay. If it happened regularly in just about ANY hammock, I'd definitely consider the pillow.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    My personal opinion is that if you have to put something under your knees to make a hammock comfortable or mitigate CR there is either something not quite right with the way you have hung the hammock, the hammock simply isn't right for your body type, or the hammock design is somewhat lacking. I can't see the point in owning a hammock that isn't comfortable without using a mitigating device. Just my own personal philosophy. For me that means either figuring out if it is how I am hanging the hammock, modifying the hammock so that it is comfortable, or passing the hammock along for someone else to enjoy.

That meant lengthening the ridge line in the WBBB XLCs, lengthening the ridge line in the DH Sparrow, a Raven that was comfy as is, and building the lazy S suspension into the Hammocktent (HT) 90 degree hammocks. I didn't have CR in the bridge WBRR that I owned, but since it was not near as comfortable as the HT hammocks, plus had too much side squeeze for me for side sleeping I passed it along.

Unfortunately, I go through periodic bouts of leg cramps, in a bed or in a hammock (independent of hammock maker) for many years. A long day's bike ride or hike can exacerbate the potential, but nonetheless it isn't entirely causative. Just happens and I have to deal with it when it does by hauling my sore butt up and out ASAP to walk it off. Muscle fatigue, proper hydration, and electrolyte balance probably all play a part, but I simply have to deal with it and forge onward thoroughly enjoying a nights respite without the unwanted visitor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast