Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Review: Lawson Statwire: !.75mm UHMWPE line that takes knots well

When it comes to cordage, I'm a bit of geek, for which I make no apologies. If you want to avoid all that, the bottom line:is IMO It's better than Zing it, etc because works with just as well with hardware and holds knots like the bowline, and taught line hitch well. Long bury splices are very difficult to pull off, though.

On the web http://lawsonequipment.com/Cordage/S...mm-p1114.html:

HYOH, so I rig my tarp with !.75mm line. I use Lawson's discontinued Ironwire, which is similar to Lash-it and Zing-it. Except for the "Porch mode" tie-outs, where I went with 2mm Glowire for the reflectivity. I do end-only ridgeline tie outs to Dutchware Stingerz, I use knots to tie out to stakes. I'm reviewing it with that in mind.

Specs on the website are a 1.75mm .019 oz per foot, break strength 500 lbs. The diameter is spot on,measured by a dial caliper and, the weight is right on, near as my scale can tell. I can't make accurate measurements of break strength, but It took my 200 lbs and a little bouncing without any sign of wear, or stretch for that matter.

The big difference with the competitors is that it's not urethane coated, so it's dull rather that shiny and it has quite a bit of grip to it. My problem with coated lines is that they are too slippery for knots like a taught line (midshipman's) hitch, so I need a buntline or truckers hitch to my stakes. Probably a YMMV thing, but I just find a taught line hitch much easier to tie, and Statline will hold it.

My unscientific testing involved Taught line hitches tied in each end, with one loop over a hook in the ceiling, and my foot in the other. Full weight standing and a little bit of bouncing didn't move the knots. I did draw the knots tight and highly recommend using a slipped knot so you can undo it with a pull. I tied Prussics and they seem to hold just as well. I don't have feel for the forces on prussics in a CRL, so I can't say how well that might work. I also can't say what the ultimate holding power of the knotted line is, but it is certainly way stronger than the tarp it's tied to. So, more than adequate for MY purposes.

It's also very tightly braided, and much rounder than the others, which probably accounts for the knot holding ability, and certainly makes it very hard to splice. I took Lawson's warnings to that effect as a challenge. What's in the pic is NOT a long bury splice, it's me seeing if I could pull a tapered end through the braid.I barely managed to get it all into hollow part, but I don't see how I could have pulled the entire tail through.Maybe some sort of lubricant would do the trick. In the back of my head, I'm thinking that the thing to do if I REALLY want a splice is to remove 1 strand the entire length of the bury and taper the other 7 as usual. I won't get 100% of line strength that way, and probably not 7/8 either, but it should certainly be enough for a tarp. Just to give some comparison points, I use floral wire to splice and I taper before I bury. Done that way, 7/64 amsteel is a snap to splice, Zing it and Lawson Ironwire are fussy, but pretty simple, and Statline takes dedication. The tight weave and utter lack of "give" in the threads make knots a much easier choice.

I tried it with a Dutch Stinger and a Dutch wasp, and it's completely compatible. Pulls smoothly through the "Hooks" and locks under the antenna lust like the other lines.

It's somewhat less prone to tangling, but if you let that corner flap in the wind a bit, it will still tangle.

So, what am I going to do? I'm going to replace all my tarp to ground lines. I'll use a bowline to secure to the tarp, and return to a taught line hitch for stakes. I'll probably leave my ridgelines until they show wear. Then I'll get some more Statline and see if I can't pull off a 7 stand long bury splice.

BTW, the Statline is wrapped around a (small) Hungry Fish cord winder from Lawson. Just an impulse buy, bit it weights nothing and I can easily get all my utility lines on there side by side so it might wind up on my pack after all
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Thank you for the review. I bought some statline but haven't tried it yet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    How long did it take to get delivered? I have some on order.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    9 days. I preordered with an expected ship of 7/25 and got it 8/3.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    How long did it take to get delivered? I have some on order.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    9 days. I preordered with an expected ship of 7/25 and got it 8/3.
    Thanks. I was asking because I ordered some 3mm Glowire on 8/1 and it just arrived today 8/13.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Nice review, I may need to check this out.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Dyneema cord that's grippy and takes knots. I get the concept. I like it.

But can you untie those knots? With regular slippery dyneema cord, knots get jammed very tight. What's this stuff like in this regard?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Dyneema cord that's grippy and takes knots. I get the concept. I like it.

But can you untie those knots? With regular slippery dyneema cord, knots get jammed very tight. What's this stuff like in this regard?
    I'd only tried it slipped knots, which came out just fine, so I tied a overhand and pulled as tight as I could and "bounceed" it a few times. Untying wasn't exactly easy, but for a 1.75 line, it's great. I had to use a little teeth to get it moving, then it slid right out. No tooth damage, either.

Even in that knot, the cord stayed round, so I didn't get that that tiny little ball that's just slightly bigger than the diameter of the cord. It seems to keep it's regular size and shape even inside the knot if that makes any sense.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Thanks for the review and the insight, JPCPAT. I'm looking forward to using some of the new Statline, and it certainly sounds like it's great stuff.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    I got the large hungry fish cord winder and I was thinking about using it to wrap lines like you are talking about. Next order I might get some statline and a small Hungry fish. The 2mm Glowire holds tautline hitches very well although I now have gone to the Bar Tensioners by Lawson and they are great!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast