Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dutchware Complete Intro Package

Does anyone have any experience with the Dutchware Complete Intro Package
    I'm researching and trying to decide on my first hammock setup. What is everyone's opinion on this setup? Pros and cons?https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...intro-package/

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Dutch just released this. He makes great gear and so as far as quality you won’t be sorry. The package keeps it simple - just pick colors. The fabric is an all around staple - balance of durability but still light weight. Some stretch but not too soft.

The only item(s) you might find you need are an underquilt/topquilt but a sleeping bag and a sleeping pad will get you started there until you do your research on those topics!

Dutch and everyone there are great at customer service and pre-sales inquiries. If you have questions call or email. I’m sure they would be happy to compare/contrast relative to other components you might be considering.

I wish he had this when I started instead of picking a choosing all the options myself. And the pricing is great for what you get.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    First time hammock buyer, not sure what's best, on a moderate budget, don't want to spend hours and hours researching? Yeah, just buy it.

You'll find people here have experience with all the parts that make it up. It's a fine package that saves money over buying the individual parts. If you're a little unsure of what would be best for you, and want a great deal, it's a perfect purchase. Just add some kind of insulation - preferably an underquilt, but a pad works fine if you want to save money.

If you have more solid ideas about your specific preferences, you can spend more and buy individual parts on your own, but if you don't want to put hours and hours into research for that, just get Dutch's package. It's good and versatile.

Things you might find in the future if you buy this package:
    - You might prefer a tarp which has "doors" on the end for additional coverage. Or not.
    - You might prefer a hammock net which zips on (like the Chameleon). Or not, some people like the "freedom" feeling and don't like the zippers either.
    - You might prefer a different type of hammock suspension. Like a more expensive, very lightweight system for backpacking. Or not, this one is strong and easy to use.

But really, there's nothing wrong with anything in this package and it's WAY better than anything you get off of Amazon and the like. So if you're not positive about the above preferences, just buy this package; it saves money and it's all good stuff. You can figure your specific preferences out later... you can keep the parts of this package you like and resell the ones you prefer to change.
    Last edited by QFT; 08-14-2018 at 13:51.

As for insulation, I believe I'm going with a Hammock Gear Econ underquilt. Still havent decided between partial of full. I Keep hoping to find one in stock.
    And I've been bouncing back and forth between ordering a dream hammock sparrow or a Dutchware Chameleon. I can't make up my mind on any of this stuff!
    Other than experimenting with a bear butt hammock, and making some amsteel whoopie slings and ridgeline I don't have any experience. I do know i want a longer hammock than the bear butt. And I like the options a winter tarp offers. To bad this combo doesnt offer a tarp upgrade.
    So many choices!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    My personal opinion is I prefer the sparrow for slightly superior craftsmanship and "get it made exactly the way you want" customization, and I prefer the Chameleon for quick availability, modularity/future proofing, and huge array of available accessories.

You sound like you're thinking about the right stuff but truth of the matter is you won't REALLY know your preferences until you try some things out. Which is why "stop thinking, just buy this good one for a reasonable price" is a good approach. It's also why people here tend to get addicted to trying a million different things. "Just Pick One" is the usual approach we have to start with.

You could email Dutchware and see if they'd do a winter tarp for a price bump. Otherwise, it's either "the package deal" or you price things out individually the way you want from whatever manufacturers

The Econs are great quilts. I think there's certain days they put ready-to-ship stuff up, maybe figure that out and keep an eye on their page?
    Last edited by QFT; 08-14-2018 at 14:12.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think it's a great package, though I could probably do without the Fleaz, and I prefer a continuous ridgeline. Though I won a Dutch Chameleon and love it, I'm not much of an accessorizer (weight-adder), and I don't like zippers, the Chameleon is all about zippers and accessorizing. However, my beagle Joey loves zippers (the only thing that will keep him in a hammock), so the Chameleon is my go-to hammock when beagle Joey comes along.

I personally love the Dutch netless hammocks and Fronkey bugnet, but beagle Joey doesn't. It took him five seconds to try and escape my hammock, so it's back to the Chameleon for Joey!

I have three sets of HG premium quilts (40, 20 & 0) so I obviously like their gear. Nothing wrong with the Econ quilts if you want to save a few bucks and don't mind a few extra ounces.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    My personal opinion is I prefer the sparrow for slightly superior craftsmanship and "get it made exactly the way you want" customization, and I prefer the Chameleon for quick availability, modularity/future proofing, and huge array of available accessories.
    i'm curious about the craftsmanship comment. I've always had the impression that craftsmanship among the smaller vendors was basically equivalent. Upon what do you base this comparison?

Kinda sounds like I'm arguing or challenging, but I'm really not. Just curious what your observations were.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    i'm curious about the craftsmanship comment. I've always had the impression that craftsmanship among the smaller vendors was basically equivalent. Upon what do you base this comparison?

Kinda sounds like I'm arguing or challenging, but I'm really not. Just curious what your observations were.
    Fair question. I've received some gear that is a little sloppy from dutchware. So has a close friend of mine. Sometimes, not always. It's the craftsmanship, not the materials. Their customer service is tops and they WILL take care of it, but I've seen it multiple times. Small shops struggle with hiring good people quickly and keeping up when production and demand ramps up, so I get it. I try not to broadcast it a lot because I honestly love the company, they always take care of you, and he comes up with genuinely great products. I will ALWAYS choose them over a non-cottage industry but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't noticed occasional issues. To me, they're a great vendor with great products that they stand behind, and will address any issues that you come across, but you're a bit more likely to find issues IMO.

You'll notice I still don't hesitate to recommend them. I still trust them to stand behind their products and customers.
    Last edited by QFT; 08-14-2018 at 16:40.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf1979 View Post
    As for insulation, I believe I'm going with a Hammock Gear Econ underquilt. Still havent decided between partial of full. I Keep hoping to find one in stock.
    And I've been bouncing back and forth between ordering a dream hammock sparrow or a Dutchware Chameleon. !
    Hammock Gear and Loco Libre are my first choices for quilts. If the Chameleon is the direction you are looking email us so we can build out a kit especially for you. The choices are mind boggling. The beginner kit is a great way to get started and if you upgrade to a Chameleon later, you will find uses for the Netless later.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I pulled the trigger! My newbie kit is ordered! I'll report back when I recieve it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast