Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    Welcome to the forum. Since you can't attach to your walls, check out the Tensa4 stand or the thread on making a DIY version. I love how they can be folded out of the way in seconds which makes it nice for indoor use. You would need to think about a door hinge or something to tether one end because it isn't freestanding, but it will handle the longer 10 or 11 foot hammocks that should be more comfortable than your current one. The commercial version may seem like a lot of money, but it really isn't since you are a full time hammock sleeper. Much cheaper than a mattress. DIY version would be fine since you don't need to transport it. Then I would invest in better hammock before upgrading your underquilt.

Thanks starfish, I will look into that stand right now!

I just checked out some videos of that stand you mentioned. That thing is fantastic! Compact, lightweight, effective and simple! It wouldn't work in my indoor situations as my hammock is already almost the whole length of my wall, but I will definitely remember this thing when planning a camping trip!

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by LFSimpleLife87 View Post
    I just checked out some videos of that stand you mentioned. That thing is fantastic! Compact, lightweight, effective and simple! It wouldn't work in my indoor situations as my hammock is already almost the whole length of my wall, but I will definitely remember this thing when planning a camping trip!
    Consider this: if put in the space of your current stand, then you do get higher attachment points which would help with a shorter, wider hammock when hung with a lot of sag and by wedging the stand into the space so that the tops touch the walls, there is no need for anchor because the 2 walls prevent it from tipping. The ridgeline would prevent the 2 top ends from punching a hole through the drywall. Note that I have not tried such a scenario but it works in my head. These stands let you play around a lot with width and length which can maximize your space. If you are constricted to your current space you may not really gain much from your current setup since you can't go much longer within that width. However, with an easily moved stand that you could put diagonally or the long way in the room and shove against the wall in the morning, you gain more options.

Hmm, I will have to do some more research andeasurements. Thanks for the info!

On a stand a solid piece, in this case probably a 2 X 4, can run between the two upright supports. In this case a ridge line was be of no value since the sag is determined by the stand. Making each upright a "T" with either a plywood keystone or angled boards to keep the upright from tipping left or right will give an opportunity for a hang higher off the floor,important for an old man like me trying to get up in the morning. A brace may also be required to keep the uprights from moving toward or away from the hammock. The horizontal piece spanning the tops of both upright will prevent them from collapsing toward the middle. I'm certain this is very confusing but I'm hoping you can figure what I'm talking about. By the way those are premium 2 X 4 s,no wane and not curved.
    If you are already using the entire space you have for the hammock a longer one will not improve the situation.

Thanks Bob, I think we are thinking about roughly the same design. I'm going to do some drawings this weekend and upload the pictures to see what everyone thinks.

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by LFSimpleLife87 View Post
    Oh now that's interesting, because I've read on here some people saying you want a flexible material, and some people saying you don't.
    Fabric seems to very much be a ymmv thing. My first hammock was a Brazilian, and I hated it. Turns out I like the camping type fabrics a lot more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12