Hammock
    Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm just going to go tent camp up at Point Reyes until the hunting seasons done unless I can find somewhere off limits to hunters to hammock camp. October for me would just be the best time as I prefer cold weather. Anyway, thanks again on the input

Take care

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    I'm sure there are different circumstances but I have hunted the rifle season on public land for the last several years and everyone I meet seems reasonable. Leave your antlers and deer suit at home and you'll be fine. If anybody is slinging lead you'll hear them in time to avoid them.

I know there must be fools in the woods but they are rare. If you encounter one, call 911 ASAP!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Someone here posted a photo last summer of a "lantern" made with a ping-pong ball and a single-LED thumb light. I made a few. They're awesome. I'd hang one of those from the ridgeline and think about leaving it on overnight. I'd also get one of those LED lights that clip on the bill (or brim) of a hat. If you have to move around, radiate light. (I use one of these when walking out of the woods after a hunt. I usually direct the beam behind me so as not to mess up my night vision so much. It still announces my humanity to anyone/anything watching).

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch
    I am an avid Hunter and one day plan on backpacking into the backwoods with my hammock for a hunt. Here is what I would recommend after years of hunting experience.
    1) wear blaze orange. Here in Utah, during a hunt, you are required to wear a certain amount of orange. Basically equates to an orange vest and an orange hat. This is required for hunters. There have been a few times where I've come across hikers or even people just walking the trails that aren't wearing orange. It honestly worries me more than anything else out there. Those people clearly aren't aware of what's going on around them or don't care. If you go out during a hunting season, wear the orange. AT ALL TIMES.
    2) since your tarp has the largest surface area of all your gear, make that whole thing orange. Better safe than sorry. I plan on making a few tarps. One or more will be neutral colors to make me blend in during the year. But for hunting seasons, I will have a blaze orange tarp. Kind of an eyesore, but again. Better safe than sorry.
    3) people have mentioned making more noise. I would recommend against that. This will tend to scare off animals and potentially ruin someone's hunt or even their shot. Just stick to trails when you can. Be obvious, visually. And be courteous to those around you.
    4) if you hear any shots, make sure you are visible and stop. Wait to hear if more shots ring out, and you can usually tell where they are coming from. Then just proceed with caution.
    5) keep your eyes and ears open and your head on a swivel. Be extra mindful of your surroundings.

This is what I would do if backpacking during a hunt. And is what I currently do when hunting.
    You can also get online to download the hunting guidebooks for your state and then will know the dates and area for different hunts. Just so you can be aware of what is going on.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I often use a hammock chair to hunt from and hang a large, bright orange piece of shiny satin from it. Same with the hammock. Also wear orange underwear. Can't be too careful.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    Hang something blaze orange above you when your away from camp doing "chores"... Cooking, bathroom break... Ect. You will be crouched down or sitting, with minimal movements.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Speaking as someone who has been accidentally shot with birdshot I would advise availing yourself of wilderness areas where hunting is not permitted. Even in those areas people will sneak out and hunt, hoping not to get caught.

I've always found dual use areas to be problematic and some people just don't know how to be responsible or reasonable.

I hope you have a safe experience!
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    To sum it up, I'll stop hiking and enjoying myself when I'm shot dead.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    First, realize that hunting is one of the safest outdoor activities.

https://www.nssf.org/hunting-is-safe...al-activities/

Next, understand what the primary risk is for hikers from hunting activities. These include mistaken game and line of sight injuries. You can gauge these risks by learning what seasons are in and what the (relative) hunter density is. More mistaken game and line of sight injuries occur during big game seasons, particularly during turkey seasons, as opposed to small game seasons, for example. Archery seasons present virtually no risk to hikers. In comparing hunter densities, understand that elk hunting in Colorado wilderness areas (low risk), will have a vastly lower hunter density that whitetail hunting on gamelands in Pennsylvania (still low, but higher risk).

Third, understand where you are and are not permitted to be during hunting seasons, and what blaze orange you may be required to wear. (I'm not familiar with where you mention.) Some states prohibit any activity other than hunting on certain lands during certain seasons, for example, and/or mandate blaze orange requirements to anyone present.

Fourth, especially during peak big game seasons, you can don yourself, your pack, and your tarp in blaze orange fabric. Walmart sells blaze orange pinnie vests and cheap caps for literally a buck or two. If you wear a vest and cap, drape one over your pack, and have another over your tarp, that might only cost you a few bucks or so. It's cheap insurance, if nothing else.

Finally, use common sense and have respect for hunters. Don't wear solid black while crawling around for berries during bear season. If you come across a hunter, use your voice to announce your presence. A loud, "Hello, there!", is adequate. Don't wave to get their attention. And realize that hunters are just like you, who enjoy the outdoors, with the exception that while you can hike and hammock all year long, they look forward all year to being able to hunt just a few months, if not a few weeks, or only few days of legal hunting seasons. A large number of them are probably hikers and hammockers, too! Have respect for them and be reasonable in trying to avoid them, whether that means staying out of prime hunting grounds or scheduling a trip around their couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Gruxxx; 08-20-2018 at 22:53.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast