Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Hammock (or camping in general) in Hunting season

So I am making my first solo trip in October in the Stanislaus National Forrest, which just happens to apparently be hunting season.I was warned by a friend of mine that hunts that it might be a good idea to plan to be as visible as possible. I was curious if folks here had some additional safety tips, I'll post the things that have already popped into my head (hoping to avoid a 308 to it)

01) Orange vest and I have an orange pack cover that should fit my ULA. My Nube' is also orange.
    02) Sticking to the trails except when I don't (Won't be camping on the trial obviously)

And really that's all I can think of. None of my equipment is camo, I have bright yellow and orange whoopie slings, mostly so *I* can avoid running into them. Honestly, it's a giant eye sore, but it should be safe(?)

On a side note: I've wanted to keep my stuff less of an eye sore, not that i'm going to be camping where people should be able to see me, but I've always wanted to avoid bright colors. But now it just seems like if I'm only going to own one or two hammocks (Until my G.A.S. Guitar acquisition syndrome turns into H.A.S Hammock acquisition syndrome) they should probably be visible so when I am out there in hunting season, i don't find myself on the hood of someones car or mounted like a trophy somewhere when looking at the Chameleon I was thinking grey or something darker, and then getting a darker tarp, but i'm not sure those color options are wise.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Well.......and this is just my personal perspective, for the two states I regularly hike/backpack in WI/MN, I don't even go into the woods to day hike during the gun hunting seasons (and I even live in the "woods"). Way, way too many folks slinging lead all over the place for my comfort, (no judgements, I'm a bow hunter myself) "makes me a might bit nervous" to quote our friendly neighborhood guru.

However if you're going to go, the tips so far are sound, orange the crap out of everything you can, stay on the trails and make lots of noise. The noise isn't going to make the hunters happy but it is what it is. That's really about all you can do to prepare though others may have tips I'm not thinking of.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    I would check the rules for dispersed camping. I know in Florida’s Ocala National Forest you can only camp in designated areas during hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    From some of the hunters that I have seen, who hunt public land, I wouldn't even go I to the woods at all.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinajiles View Post
    From some of the hunters that I have seen, who hunt public land, I wouldn't even go I to the woods at all.
    Aye, I didn't want to cast the wrong image about my beloved state but quite a few heading back into the woods in not exactly a sober state of mind.

I'm originally from Central Illinois (Bloomington/Normal) and yea, my Dad wouldn't even let us out on the public land, it was the back forty or nothing ;P
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    I still head out in the woods in the fall here in New Hampshire, I just have a mindset there are hunters around so I do a few things. I wear bright colors, I make more noise than I might otherwise, I stick to areas I either know very well or are regularly trafficked by hikers (which, my thought, are not conducive to hunting). With a little thought put into it, it isn't a big issue. I do not go off deep in hunting areas or explore quite as much but I cannot see avoiding the woods all of November and part of December when the hiking and camping are the best.

And for the bow hunters, a funny story...years ago, I was mountain biking through the woods when I noticed some movement off to the side...a bow hunter came from nowhere in full camo and proceeded to tell me I had ruined his day and I said well you made me ruin my shorts so we're even...and rode off.

Anyhow, with a little thought, there is low risk...some risk, but low.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    I went out on a whim last year toward the end of bowhunting season. Once I got out a bit, I realized that there had been hunters out where I was hiking. That itself doesn't bother me, but I realized how easy it would have been to mess up a hunt someone had prepared for weeks or months.

So aside from personal safety, I think it's worth taking some extra time (especially if stealth camping) to be sure we're not interfering with the activities of others using these outdoor spaces. In other words, stay far away from other people's hunting spots.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I think it's worth taking some extra time (especially if stealth camping) to be sure we're not interfering with the activities of others using these outdoor spaces. In other words, stay far away from other people's hunting spots.
    Sometimes it's hard to do. Years ago I was hiking around not too far off trail and walked up to something strange on the ground. I kicked it and realized it was a pile of about 10 sweet potatoes. As I looked up, I could see a hunter covered in 99% camo sitting there, probably wondering if I was actually seeing him or still looking. I'm sure he wasn't happy.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I went out on a whim last year toward the end of bowhunting season. Once I got out a bit, I realized that there had been hunters out where I was hiking. That itself doesn't bother me, but I realized how easy it would have been to mess up a hunt someone had prepared for weeks or months..
    So it also depends on what hunting season you are in. Hunting season here in Ohio goes about all year. Something is in season from April through February. Deer season runs September through February. Never going camping or hiking because it is hunting season means not hiking or camping.

That said the real season of concern is Deer Gun Season. Particularly opening day when every Joe bob Hillbilly is out to git that wraskilly deer. Here in Ohio that is one week. The Monday After Thanksgiving to the the following Sunday and the weekend 2 weeks later. Just check. Even then I have gone backpacking. I make sure I have my hunting vest on and bright colors on the pack. There are regulations for hunters in the NF.

Wayne NF statement on hunting.
    State Law prohibits shooting and target practicing on all public lands (including the Wayne National Forest), except when legally pursuing game. United States 36 CFR 261.10(d) prohibits discharging of firearms on national forest land under the following situations:

In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, trailhead, or other occupied areas; Across or on a Forest Development road, or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge; and Into or within any cave.

The highlighted statement has been interpreted as you cannot discharge a fire arm to shoot across an established trail. Though in the back woods only a game warden or NF Ranger could really enforce. Like back packers 99.999999% of hunters are actually responsible, but adrenaline dose cause mistakes. So the precautions you are making are great during gun season.

As for bow season. I would not worry one bit. Bow hunting is a much closer shorter range sport limited to under 100 yards. Also Bow hunters have to really place their shots to get a clean kill so they are going to make sure they see their target. Be visible.

I would not worry about messing up someone's planned hunt for several reasons. 1) you will be driving the deer by your movement ahead of you. This will help the hunter. 2) if they are hunting from the trail or within a hands throw of the train then tough on them... bad and or lazy planning. Their public trails. 3) at least here in Ohio deer are so used to people walking in the woods on the trails all year your passing will have in impact for about 5 min. The deer see you move around and circle back as you pass. Oh and you will never see them.

As a final note: If camping / Backpacking in the deer gun season I would limit my movement and stay put in camp right around sunrise and at sunset to about 1 hour past sunset. This is the real danger time as movement is easily seen but the object is not. Just be in camp and have that fire going about an hour before sunset and roll out of the hammock no earlier than sunrise to ~1/2 after sunrise.

Images
    This thread needs to be more about hammock camping during hunting season and less gun/hunting stories.
    The OP is new but we all know the rules here. thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast