Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Post up some pictures when you get the new TL. I'm a flip flopper when I sleep and not being locked into a specific position makes it a lot easier for me to get comfortable.

I'm betting you'll have a tracking number by this time tomorrow...
    You were correct. He sent me a tracking number at 5am eastern time. Jared must be quite a night owl. That would be like 2am in his location?

Hammock
    WB ELD / SLD TL / HH Del. Expl.
    Tarp
    SLD / Hen / HG
    Insulation
    HG Econ/CDT Gemini
    Congrats on your purchase! You will love it I know. I bought mine about 2 weeks ago, took it on a quick backpacking trip last weekend, and will be sleeping in my Trail Lair again tonight with my sons' Boy Scout troop. You may well find that you will sleep better in a hammock than in a bed.

I started out with a cheap Amazon hammock, then got into a used Hennessy Deluxe Explorer, and now my SLD Trail Lair is like the thoroughbred of my hammock stable. You will not be disappointed.

For those that were asking about the material, I debated a single layer of Hexon 1.6 (I'm 240ish) vs double layer of Ripstop 1.1. I ended up getting the Double Layer Kelly Green 1.1 that Jared has on his "Gear Up, Get Out" page rather than customizing one. I figured the double layer would only add about 2.4 oz from what I can tell and I could use a pad in between until I get setup with an underquilt. The price for everything included with the Gear Up version is also about $15 less than a custom single layer 1.6. I had him also make a Winter Cover out of Royal Blue 1.1. It kinda matches our local High School colors, so if I pass it on to my son, he can say they are Hoya colors!

Hammock
    WB ELD / SLD TL / HH Del. Expl.
    Tarp
    SLD / Hen / HG
    Insulation
    HG Econ/CDT Gemini
    Quote Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
    ... so if I pass it on to my son, he can say they are Hoya colors!
    I don't understand, why would you pass a Trail Lair on?

Unless you're buying another custom Trail Lair for yourself I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I don't understand, why would you pass a Trail Lair on?

Unless you're buying another custom Trail Lair for yourself I guess?
    Ed Zachary. I should have emphasized the IF. Its a big IF.

Hammock
    Chameleon/sparrow/trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream/Ha
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/Top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggle
    I've had my Trail Lair for several months now and could not be happier with the quality and custom (er) service from Jared.

So, I haven't followed up. I hung the trail lair a couple weekends ago and took a nap in it. I found it to be very comfortable and well made. I kinda wish I had asked for larger zippers, but I think once I put some pull loops on them, it will be fine. I grabbed some orange mason line the other day for that purpose. I haven't had it hung other than that one time, but we are doing an overnight for Scouts this weekend. I'll finally get a chance to really test it (and hope I can actually sleep in it for a full night). I have spent a fair bit of time doing some DIY work to hang my CPAP and battery, so hopefully it all works out. I made a matching double ended stuff sack for the CPAP and a roll top reinforced bag for the battery. I plan to hang the battery from the suspension with a biner. The CPAP will be hanging from the ridgeline with mitten hooks (added prusik loops). Low temps are supposed to hover around 70, so I think I will be fine without any underquilt or pad. I am a hot sleeper anyway.

OK, great 1st time using the Trail Lair. No complaints with comfort at all. My CPAP setup worked great and I had a very comfortable night. Didn't wake up sore once and had no back, arm, shoulder, or leg pain in the morning. That is a first for me camping.

I was a little cool, but not to the point of uncomfortable. That was my fault for not using any pad or under-quilt. The temp dropped to right around 70 and it was breezy. I only packed two thin fleece throw blankets. I used one over my legs all night and they were fine. The second one was used mostly as a neck support, but in the middle of the night I had to cover my upper body and I was fine without anything under my neck.

Next time out is scheduled for mid-Oct in the N. GA mountains. I will need an underquilt by then. Time to DIY.

Here are a few photos. The yellow bag hanging on the end was my 13lb 12V AGM battery (22AH) to power my CPAP. It worked well. I actually moved the hang to another set of trees after the 1st photo was taken. I noticed a few sketchy branches above and wanted to point in a different direction.

IMG_20180915_094831.jpgIMG_20180915_134534.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon; Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Dutchware 11’ Hex
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for posting pics. I’ve just received my trail lair last week and hope to be in the woods this weekend.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    That is a very nice looking hammock!

A buddy of mine uses a simple blue pad, like a yoga mat, and that is all he has used for years--swears by it. You can start there--I tried it and got an underquilt soon after. If you can sew, all the better, you can make your own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast