Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW HIKER View Post
    Is there an ambiguous set of rules that we must follow in comparison to a tent camper? A courtesy that hammock campers must extend. And Ground Dwellers can ignore?
    I will give you this true account as a example.
    While on a long hike with a fellow hammock camper. We settled at a campsite with a fire pit, hanging our hammocks on the surrounding trees. It wasn't long before another group of hikers came upon our campsite looking for a place to set up their tents. I was familiar with the trail and knew there weren't many campsites left nearby. I suggested the possibility of a campsite near the river, and they promptly headed off to investigate. While they were gone I suggested to my friend that we give up our site and allow them to setup on flat ground. I knew the site by the river was very unhospitable and that their tent stakes would not penetrate the rock ridden ground. But, the foremost fact was that we could set up just about anywhere. He refused. Stating that
    "They should have gotten hammocks." And laughed.
    I sat and imagined thier misery. Attempting to pitch out in such unfavorable tent conditions.
    Was my friend wrong if not a bit conceded?
    Are tents not limited in comparison? Are we not obligated to give up the flat ground?
    Group camping is all about compromises and in this case it’s best to let the tent campers fend for themselves.
    If you were solo camping then you could have went with your gut but I’d say you weren’t obligated to give up the spot.

I once had got to a backcountry state park campsite we reserved and found 2 people in it. They had found 2 people in their campsite and kinda hoped our spot wouldn’t be taken. Well they were hammockers so I said we could all fit in this spot if it worked for them. Ended up they knew about hammockforums and i had met the dad of this guy at a hang previously. Turned out being a great time.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have often "shared" my camp sites with others and has not been an issue. Only one time did I pack up in the middle of the night and leave due to a loud group but then I like hiking in the dark. The trails take on a whole different look at night.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have often "shared" my camp sites with others and has not been an issue. Only one time did I pack up in the middle of the night and leave due to a loud group but then I like hiking in the dark. The trails take on a whole different look at night.
    Spooky Scary Skeletons!

I like night hiking but it does make me a bit nervoust

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    I'm in the "first come, first served camp". That said, if someone asked politely to share my site- and there were no other options- I would say yes. When a large camping area is empty and someone camps right next to me I am upset because there is no need to do this. As a female who often camps alone I need to be careful.
    I basically agree with Slugbait.

At one time I was very friendly with other hikers/campers, I hitchhiked also, at one stage in life. Either the world is less safe or more people admit to misadventures.

Anyway now days I am very careful of my personal safety and of my daughter. Unfortunately even with other Hangers.

Two summers ago we found a nice little BLM camp. There were three hammocks set up. I thought "Great". The owners of the hammocks came along and we talked bikes and hammocks. Then a big group of want-to-be party animals arrived with tiny kids as in toddlers to maybe five yrs. Adults were very loaded. Kids, big dogs barking, funny stuff not grass being smoked. Our Hammock neighbors were friends with the loadies. We were packed and had the car loaded within 5 minutes.

I think a lot of people feel anonymous whwn hiking or in campgrounds and use less than sterling behavior.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I think a lot of people feel anonymous when hiking or in campgrounds and use less than sterling behavior.
    I know what you mean. I left a camping group I once was active with (as a founding member) because the group voted to have their campouts adult only. Some did not want to behave maturely in case there might be a teen/kid around. The boozin', smokin' (various stuff), cussin', and carousin' all increased to a level we I no longer wish to be there.

I wouldn’t move. Using your logic you should in fact just find the most unlevel most rocky inhospitable site available every time just so you don’t have to move to give up a better chosen site.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like the first come, first serve as already mentioned. Nobody's special. Tent, hammock, 15-minute lunch break, sitting on a 5-gal bucket to wet a line...it doesn't matter to me, you DON'T intrude on other people's spaces. It's everyone's land to share, so be respectful. I would guess most people are trying to get away from everyday life, noise, people, etc. for some relaxation. You don't know if they're retired and visit this spot every week or just once a year after a 6-hour drive, working hard to get just a couple days away from their busy life.

Once someone is set up, it's their home away from home for the time being. I ALWAYS ask if I may enter their camp whether to talk, recon the area for future reference, whatever. It doesn't cost anything to be polite.

I think the only exception I can think of is something like the video Shug posted recently where 3 tents set up right next to him at an established camp site. Even though I couldn't fathom that, if you are limited to specific camp areas opposed to camping wherever you want, I guess that's a risk you take.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhunter View Post
    I wouldn’t move. Using your logic you should in fact just find the most unlevel most rocky inhospitable site available every time just so you don’t have to move to give up a better chosen site.
    Depending on where I am backpacking, I do intentionally seek out locations that aren't good for tents. In some parks, the ratio of campers to quality sites is limited, so I try to make room...plus I'm usually with a tent-dweller or 2.
    However, in the more remote areas that don't get as much traffic...I usually just setup wherever I want.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Generally agree with this thread. My usual hiking partner is my best friend I've known since we were 6. We have only once (I am proud to say) spent a single night in a shelter, tentsite, or other established site where other humans were visible, so this is rarely a problem for us. And in all that time we only invited one party to share a dispersed site with us, knowing as the OP did that there really wasn't anything suitable in either direction for a mile or more up or down the trail.

And both the girls were quite attractive.

As many have said, the situation often dictates the response.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    And both the girls were quite attractive.
    No no no! Don't go that way, there's nothing over there. Lots of rocks and roots. Nothing remotely flat at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast