banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Those are my favorite. If I were going to make one of these using big-box hardware store materials, I would copy those peened copper grommets, and use CLs pushed through and looped over ends, and also use swaged chain-link fence top rail chopped in half and joined in middle for easier transport, strong enough to be able to put the joint right in the middle without worry. Travis Hodgson put these up on FB of his build showing the last 2 points:

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thanks to cmc4free for finding the link, and to Rat for showing us the copper grommets idea in the first place. I admire the elegant appearance and simplicity of Optinaut's steel bushings but I can't find them locally, and the current price on Amazon is outrageous, so I'll probably upgrade my current stands with peened copper tubing after all, and put the steel bushings on my list for another time. I live pretty far out of town with no stores for miles around except WM and HD, both small and poorly stocked. I'm not a big fan of Amazon or eBay, so most of my DIY projects use easy-to-get materials and simple tools as long as I can achieve the results I need. But I like those steel bushings and will look for them on my next foray into the big concrete jungle.

(Edited to add: I MIGHT have just found the steel spacers at Lowes online, but they're listed as Flat Washers for reasons unknown, though the photo and description clearly is for a 1/4" x 3/8" x 1" spacer. Several errors on the page for this and other similar items. Home Depot search online shows similar errors for the same products! I'll look in the physical store(s) when next I go into town, and if they have the right stuff I'll report back with the correct item number. )

Many thank to Latherdome for introducing, developing, and generously sharing the brilliant tensahedron stand design (some day I'll have a real Tensa4), and to Jeff-oh for his easy-to-make, inexpensive, and sturdy DIY version, and to all for sharing helpful and creative enhancements. With no intent to diminish the many other great ideas, products, and projects I've seen on HammockForums, IMO the tensahedron stand is the most intriguing innovation here to date!
    Last edited by WhollyHamaca; 06-09-2019 at 20:55.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Bonded Wide Winter
    Insulation
    SheltoweeUQ/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Haven'tSettledYet
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Those are my favorite. If I were going to make one of these using big-box hardware store materials, I would copy those peened copper grommets, and use CLs pushed through and looped over ends, and also use swaged chain-link fence top rail chopped in half and joined in middle for easier transport, strong enough to be able to put the joint right in the middle without worry. Travis Hodgson put these up on FB of his build showing the last 2 points:

Hey, that's me!

Same pics are in THIS thread, post # 19

I've also acquired some copper tubing to replace my grommets; I just haven't got around to installing them yet.
    Enjoying my fall into the rabbit hole...

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pad + DIY down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a question regarding use of 3/4” and 1” sections of emt.

I was planning on using 4’ of 3/4” for the top and bottom sections, with 4’ of 1” as a middle section. 3/4 slipping inside the 1” for 1’ giving an overall length of 10’, possibly only 6” giving an overall of 11’.
    To me, this would seem that all of the compressive force would be placed on the screws/bolts or whatever is used to hold the 3/4 in place within the 1” conduit.
    Should I use grade 8 bolts for this? Self-tapping screws used as a simple stop?
    I could be overthinking it, but would appreciate any advice or comments on what’s worked for you.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    You might want to check out Tightwad's build: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/150427-My-DIY-collapsible-tensahedron-stand-from-EMT-tubing
    I did the same thing recently for my brother, to fit it into his car. Started out with 3/4" x 102" legs. Now each leg has two 3/4" x 4ft and one 1" x 4ft middle section, with minimum 6" slip-joint overlaps on each end. Drilled a few through-holes in the 1" sections for removable stop bolts, to allow leg lengths between about 8 ft 4" min to 11 ft max. (He hasn't needed the poles all the way extended to 11 ft yet, so we won't vouch for that 6" minimum joint overlap! But he did test it at 11 ft and it was OK. As always, YMMV.) For the stops I used ordinary (not hardened) 1/4" bolts, lock washers, & wing nuts because I already had them, but easy to replace with stronger hardware if needed. Wrapped a little friction tape around the 3/4" ends to reduce joint wiggle and squeak. My 240-lb brother has used it as day lounger and every night for a couple of weeks, no problems so far except that he won't get up out of his "Relaxahedron" and cut the grass.

Images
    Wow, what a long read to finish in a couple sittings throughout the day. So one of these is about to happen as my last hammock outing was sadly treeless. For portability and consistency in the splay could it be done with a dogbone around 5' in length with 6" or so loops? I'm thinking drill and grommet the holes in the EMT, pass the dog bone through both and then put the loop over both poles, it would stop itself from sliding up and out since the legs would be confined within the loop and the loop can't slide up as it would just catch on the center line. Do this same idea to create a ridge line for the stand that would also serve for the tarp and produce the same setup every time and who doesn't appreciate that?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    Wow, what a long read to finish in a couple sittings throughout the day. So one of these is about to happen as my last hammock outing was sadly treeless. For portability and consistency in the splay could it be done with a dogbone around 5' in length with 6" or so loops? I'm thinking drill and grommet the holes in the EMT, pass the dog bone through both and then put the loop over both poles, it would stop itself from sliding up and out since the legs would be confined within the loop and the loop can't slide up as it would just catch on the center line. Do this same idea to create a ridge line for the stand that would also serve for the tarp and produce the same setup every time and who doesn't appreciate that?
    Lines can be fixed length for a given hammock and user, but it’s hard to know the exact best lengths without trial and error. Suggest start long and tie knots or wrap to dial in, then you can splice clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    Of course some experiments would be done before picking the lengths, usually with paracord since its cheap cheap and reusable. But since my setup typically doesn't change then I'd be fine with being confined to the fixed use case. So, the dogbone idea is completely feasible here?

• + New Posts
  • Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast