CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I misread, d’oh! That’s puzzling, as I’ve not seen high loads on that line in any normal use. One of these days (i need a spotter and no wind) i’m going to anchor to a can of soda. And breathe very slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually thinking on it there has to be loading, the feet of the Tensa are acting as a fulcrum with the majority of one's body mass over the centreline the foot apex is acting as a lever. Should not be too difficult to calculate really.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by piscator View Post
    Actually thinking on it there has to be loading, the feet of the Tensa are acting as a fulcrum with the majority of one's body mass over the centreline the foot apex is acting as a lever. Should not be too difficult to calculate really.
    Yes, it’s a scale. If you were to hang 100% of your body weight directly off the head apex, the load on the foot guy would equal your weight. Since your center of gravity is much closer to the fulcrum in normal use, the load is also normally much lower. Surprising your line failed, even if you weighed over double its rating. Damaged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    CAMO DIY
    Tarp
    Sil Poly cammo DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I think it may have had some defect, as it was a piece I'd used before, but I did not look closely at it before using it. As you say it should have been fine.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Our slip toggles pass through an 8.5mm hole. Larger will work, but too large and the toggle might not be well enough supported to hold up. If using steel tubing be very careful to soften the edges or use a grommet, as Amsteel wears faster on harder metals. If you have Amsteel and can tie a stopper knot, would be very simple to make, using e.g. a bobby pin to thread through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So with the drill bits that I already own, my choices would be 5/16" which is just barely under 8mm or 3/8" which is just over 9.5mm. Would that be a Goldilocks scenario where one is too small and one is too large or would one or both of those be close enough? I don't have any amsteel, but if I would have to go buy a special drill bit to make your toggles work I would probably just buy some amsteel.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    So with the drill bits that I already own, my choices would be 5/16" which is just barely under 8mm or 3/8" which is just over 9.5mm. Would that be a Goldilocks scenario where one is too small and one is too large or would one or both of those be close enough? I don't have any amsteel, but if I would have to go buy a special drill bit to make your toggles work I would probably just buy some amsteel.
    toggle itself will go through a smaller hole than toggle and 7/64 amsteel. The latter should go through a 5/16 holes. Deburr the edges well. I wouldn't have any issue with the 3/8" hole either - unless you top 350#.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started going though the tread from the beginning and thought I read something about a cost of around $25. But checking on the price of EMT ¾ poles - those mentioned in the beginning of the thread - Home Depot has them in 10 ft lengths at $21 each. There is not much more than poles, but that's still over $84 to get in the DIY game. It could be that shorter poles, maybe 8 ft would be cheaper, but I don't imagine by much. And they didn't come up as an option when I checked Home Depot. And the parts list did specify 10 footer.

Here's the quote from the begging of the tread about 4 months ago: "Cost ~$25.00 at Home Depot. Assembly Time < 1 hour" I wonder if the person left off the "1" and it was supposed to be $125?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I started going though the tread from the beginning and thought I read something about a cost of around $25. But checking on the price of EMT ¾ poles - those mentioned in the beginning of the thread - Home Depot has them in 10 ft lengths at $21 each. There is not much more than poles, but that's still over $84 to get in the DIY game. It could be that shorter poles, maybe 8 ft would be cheaper, but I don't imagine by much. And they didn't come up as an option when I checked Home Depot. And the parts list did specify 10 footer.

Here's the quote from the begging of the tread about 4 months ago: "Cost ~$25.00 at Home Depot. Assembly Time < 1 hour" I wonder if the person left off the "1" and it was supposed to be $125?
    I think they still have them for under $6 each: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x...3429/100400406

Maybe you were looking at another material or conduit with different tips?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Long thread. Plus the other one at 1100 comments. So it's getting hard to follow all the thinking on these.

I'm mulling over how to make this this shorter more easily transported yet still robust.

Could you use 1inch conduit for the lower say 6 foot section and a 5foot or 6 foot 3/4 for the upper section with a stopper of sorts in it. A couple foot overlap etc. Forgetting weight just something that would fit in a trunk. The other threads on using painter pole extensions etc didnt really strike my fancy and were a bit more costly. Any simple but brilliant thought?

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

I paid $28 at the end of June for poles, wire cable, and clamps in TX. I would recommend skipping the wire cable. It is a PITA and catches on fabric at the least opportune times. Use brass grommets and rope instead. You can find the brilliant idea in post #56 by Rat.

FWIW - I ended up with 9 foot lengths and this worked very well with 11 foot netless and 12 foot hex tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast