Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the inspiration on this Latherdome and the DIY thread Jeff-oh. Nice work Rat.

Now if I could just find a teenager with good craftsmanship skills to contract a few of these with the artisanal grommets... maybe with a dad to share a few brews during construction, (Yes, I'm looking at you Rat), I'd love to work a deal.

I can handle the amsteel end. I'd love to have a few of these in reserve for some fall activities where trees may be at a premium.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    I've been noticing that the angle of the stand at the bottom is usually pretty close to 90 degrees. This also matches with the angle of a commercial stand that I own and use. It is of this type \__/. Has anyone tried using a 90 degree bend to insert the emt poles into and using that as their bottom connection? I'd be curious if there are any drawbacks to this.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    I've been noticing that the angle of the stand at the bottom is usually pretty close to 90 degrees. This also matches with the angle of a commercial stand that I own and use. It is of this type \__/. Has anyone tried using a 90 degree bend to insert the emt poles into and using that as their bottom connection? I'd be curious if there are any drawbacks to this.
    That would not be a good idea. It looks close to a 90* but it is not truly 90* and the angle does float as the load in the stand moves and shifts and changes. (getting in and out). Fixing that joint will create a localized bending load in poles that they are no designed to. The simple loop attachment, or lashing works great and is very easy. The lashing is simply wrapping around the outside 3-4 times wrap between the poles 3 times and tie off. Ridiculously simple to do.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration on this Latherdome and the DIY thread Jeff-oh. Nice work Rat.

Now if I could just find a teenager with good craftsmanship skills to contract a few of these with the artisanal grommets... maybe with a dad to share a few brews during construction, (Yes, I'm looking at you Rat), I'd love to work a deal.

I can handle the amsteel end. I'd love to have a few of these in reserve for some fall activities where trees may be at a premium.
    We would be happy to Uncle Mike, just let me know when your tribe can come over and we'll get 'er done. The conduit is $28 per stand and we can get it locally at Winkley's just down the road. Bring the Amsteel, fid and some Shiner and let's build some Tensahedrons!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    That would not be a good idea. It looks close to a 90* but it is not truly 90* and the angle does float as the load in the stand moves and shifts and changes. (getting in and out). Fixing that joint will create a localized bending load in poles that they are no designed to. The simple loop attachment, or lashing works great and is very easy. The lashing is simply wrapping around the outside 3-4 times wrap between the poles 3 times and tie off. Ridiculously simple to do.
    I agree, the whole things shifts when you first load it, it knda settles into perfection. The simple loop attachment is way easier and way simpler, also easier to fix in the filed if needed.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Z
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Tigris el Cheapo
    Suspension
    Straps
    1 End Fixity Factor. (use 2 if tying the ends)
    Hope that helps you.
    Very excited to place a metal order and test this thing out. Before I do, I'd like to confirm, when you say tying the ends are you referring to lashing the ends as opposed to bolting? If so does that apply to both the arms as well as the feet?

Also, got it to work. This thing is great. Thanks twice.

Best,
    Last edited by FuzzyJew; 09-13-2018 at 12:06.
    "If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." - L Wittgenstein

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    You, through the easier, and probably more direct... Pythagorean theorem, directly solve the lengths of the side view triangle. and thus... the angle is again confirmed Inverse Tangent of (Opposite/Adjacent) or Tan^-1 (5.477/5) = 47.6 deg. nicely done.
    Hey "we're both right" is better than the "we're both wrong" that I'm always afraid of!

OK one more question (for anyone really): I agree with the calc of the 47.6 degree side-view angle. If this angle (equivalent to the hang angle) was more like 30 degrees (by lengthening ridgeline, for instance)... would less bending stress be imparted to the poles? And perhaps less stress overall, as 30 degrees is the angle that minimizes the force of the loaded hammock pulling on each apex?

Or... perhaps "tensahedron magic" causes 30 degrees to NOT be the angle at which the hang & the tensahedron stabilizes? (Definitely over my head here physics-wise, my college science requirements were all satisfied by calculus and statistics)

I don't often let tensahedron magic do its thing; I'm often setting up a tensahedron stand in the mostly dark on a Boy Scout campout and haven't had time to do too much experimenting. But I'd like to understand the theoretically "force minimizing" angle in order to help construct bomb-proof (well, scout-proof) tensahedrons, which will usually have fixed or nearly fixed apexes. Mainly in order to avoid moms asking "what does it mean when my son came home and said he tacoed his tensa?"

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJew View Post
    Very excited to place a metal order and test thins thing out. Before I do, I'd like to confirm, when you say tying the ends are you referring to lashing the ends as opposed to bolting? If so does that apply to both the arms as well as the feet?

Also, got it to work. This thing is great. Thanks twice.

Best,
    I used mini-CLs (about 5"). Mostly because I had a bunch of amsteel lying around.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJew View Post
    Very excited to place a metal order and test this thing out. Before I do, I'd like to confirm, when you say tying the ends are you referring to lashing the ends as opposed to bolting? If so does that apply to both the arms as well as the feet?
    Only maters what your doing at the apex. Ground joint attachment does not affect fixity factor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast