Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    chameleon 1.6
    Insulation
    loco libre
    Suspension
    straps, beetles.

the purpose for a ridge line?

this has been talked about before i imagine, if the ridge line was removed, and you were not going to use a bug net, would the hammock lie better, worse, different?
    would there be any advantage to not having it at all on your hammock?
    i have a eno hammock on our front porch, and a cloth hammock in our back gardens, without ridge lines.
    they are quite comfy. seems the only reason to have a ridge line is for the bugnet. anything i am missing here?
    just an early morning coffee time pondering of thought. thanks for your input and knowledge.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    The ridge line for me sets the correct sag for my hammock to provide the best lay. The ridgeline forces the correct sag even if the trees, and area hanging is not optimal to adjust the hammock. As a backpacker this comes into play with every hang.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I can think of no advantage to not having a structural ridge line. For me personally there are only disadvantages such as what was previously stated plus no place to hang organizers, lighting, etc.. I also like that I can grab the ridge line for support when I get out of the hammock.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    If you dont use a ridgeline,where you gonna hang your glasses at night?

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I love having a ridgeline because it makes set up and the right sag easier to find every time

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If your hammock suspension is at 30* and your hammock ridgeline is straight but not taut——-
    Then you could remove hammock ridgeline and your hammock would be just as if ridgeline was still attached. You can check this by getting in hammock and getting two people to measure the distance between ends of hammock without touching hammock. It will be same or very close to same with and without ridgeline when your suspension hang angle is 30*

When lounging or sitting sideways the ridgeline can be a distraction. If one end of ridgeline is easily removed—carabiner or larkshead—that’s a way to avoid distraction.

My hammock ridgeline has been moved to become a high tarp ridgeline that does both—
    hammock ridgeline and tarp ridgeline one and the same. Sometimes I miss hammock ridgeline as a hand up when getting out and as a holder for ridgeline organizer. My bugnet works without using a hammock ridgeline on my off the wall setup. Hybrid Kokomo-Kookaburra rigging.

There are hammocks with built in bugnets and top covers that could be damaged if ridgeline was removed.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I like theoretical discussions about things. With that in mind, having a structural ridgeline with respect to comfort isn't a yes/no question if you consider that a ridgeline doesn't have to be a fixed length. It's a continuum bounded by zero at one end, and at the other, the length at which it falls slack when hung. Each point in between gives you a different lay.

I haven't played much with SRL length, but I can tell you that on my HH I liked the ridgeline guitar-string taut. My XLC seems a little more forgiving.

I've been thinking about getting an adjustable & detachable ridgeline for my next hammock, mainly to let me tune the sag and use the hammock netless as a lounger so the ridgeline isn't stretched across my face.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This might give some insight.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    For me a ridgeline is an essential part of a complete hammock. Without it, something is missing. The ridgeline sets the lay of the hammock and therefore your comfort.
    Is it possible to set up the hammock with the perfect lay without a ridgeline? Yes, but highly improbable out in a forest. You would need the exact distance between trees and exact height to attach straps. Of course the forest floor is sloping and there's a dip between your trees, etc.
    A no ridgeline scenario would occur on your porch after fully working out the geometry between the spacing and height of the columns. Then never altering the setup.
    Do people go camping without a ridgeline? Yes, but I believe they are sacrificing comfort for the sake of a piece of string.
    Oh yeah, where would you put your glasses and who is going to help you up when your as old as I am? LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post

I haven't played much with SRL length, but I can tell you that on my HH I liked the ridgeline guitar-string taut. My XLC seems a little more forgiving.

Having the SRL that tight can be problematic. If it is "just snug", you will get exactly the same lay in that HH. Any tighter does nothing more than put undue/excessive force on the suspension and the SRL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast