Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    When I tried to do the same, I found the click locks on my Black Diamonds were not strong enough, the sections slipped (even with them super-tightened).
    Measured dowel rods inside the aluminium sections are a way to prevent the sections telescoping.

--
    Gadget
    I wonder if Raftingtigger's no ground trekking pole could withstand the compression on the telescoping locks and by using 2 it might avoid all the tension lines required on the no ground poles rigged one on each end.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    90' Hammock Tent, WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba, DIY
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE 30F TQ
    Suspension
    UCR, Mule tape
    Images
    As one of the people that worked on the original concept of using hiking poles for a hammock stand (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...it-can-be-done), I have always struggled with the complexity of using the Tensegrity setup to provide the structure needed to hang a hammock. There are a lot of ropes, cross members and other bits that need to be assembled, etc., making the use of a tensegrity hiking pole set up difficult to use, especially when you are in hurry to get your hammock pitched.

I have found that a bipod stand is much easier/ faster to put up. (Here is a setup I made using 5ft extension poles from Lowes) IMAG1041.jpg, but who wants to drag a couple of of extension poles on a backpacking trip....

But I think lkk6783's concept is brilliant! Simple, lightweight, easy to pack and it makes use of the hiking poles that are probably already taking with you on the trail. This might be the THE solution for using hiking poles as a hammock stand.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirenobie View Post
    AI have always struggled with the complexity of using the Tensegrity setup to provide the structure needed to hang a hammock. There are a lot of ropes, cross members and other bits that need to be assembled, etc., making the use of a tensegrity hiking pole set up difficult to use, especially when you are in hurry to get your hammock pitched.
    Amen to that brother!
    My tensegrity is a nod to your (and Cheryl's) work,

Had a look at the bipod solution.
    My BD poles max out at 140cm, so given a baseline of 90cm, you get a head height of about 130cm.
    That is getting a bit minimal for a 11' hammock, even with zero suspension length (and no stretch), you'll barely have 12" sit height. Plus the poles will tend to sink to the baskets in softer ground, losing you 7-8cm.
    (calculated with my hammock hang calculator, Attachment 154836)
    I guess you could have a narrower footprint, but stability will suffer (fixed with vee'd guylines?). But if you were going with multiple guylines, you may as well use both poles vertically, giving you the full 140cm (and less bending moment on the poles?).

Anyway, from my experimentation, what you use for poles, is not were the weight penalty is. It's the guyline staking that really adds the weight.
    My tensegrity is only 460g, but when you add all the stakes, guys, climbing nuts and friends, the full getup was nearer 1.5kg!

Images
    Two options to get more sit height.
    Use a ten foot hammock, that gets you up nearer 18" sit height.
    Or slip some pole extensions on the trekking pole foot.
    I quite like the latter solution. You could combine it with a bigger foot, to prevent sinkage and a hobble line to stop the poles slipping apart.

But you still have the issue of heavy stakes.
    This is what I was using,

And that was just one guyline!
    Five 9" aluminium nails using two 12" snow stake as anchor plates.
    If the ground were softer the snow stakes would work on their own, but good luck not bending them on Dartmoor's rocky soil! (maybe in the more boggy sections)

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    ...But you still have the issue of heavy stakes....
    Staking has been my biggest challenge with a monopole. But I've always blamed it on my staking skill. lkk6783 do you mind taking some pictures of your staking, and describing your typical "soil" conditions?

So the beauty of a tensahedron stand is the horizontal forces coming from head end are in opposition to the horizontal forces from the foot end (assuming your connections at the base are decent enough).
    Thus staking is much less critical. If I had a "great" way to execute staking, I might be a monopole/bipole convert.

Hammock
    HH UL backpacker
    Images
    25E73FEC-BFAE-4D9A-8EBE-6A6B610771CD.jpg2B2DEDE5-5A79-49F9-A469-FDC62D128217.jpg
    the cap was damaged on Soft ground.
    the second photo was my field solution.

Hammock
    HH UL backpacker
    Images
    i am not sure is it OK to put a link here. it is a hammock group of facebook in Taiwan , where i had an album with all my photos about this subject.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/twhammockers/
    Last edited by lkk6783; 08-22-2018 at 13:33.

Images
    I got a cheap, sacrificial pair of poles to experiment with (don't want to risk my Black Diamonds).
    Looking at how they react to a 94kg load (well... not even that... just some of me),

Go on, watch it, I'm only wasting 1 minute 11 seconds of your life here!

Hammock
    HH UL backpacker
    Images
    I got a cheap, sacrificial pair of poles to experiment with (don't want to risk my Black Diamonds).
    Looking at how they react to a 94kg load (well... not even that... just some of me),

Go on, watch it, I'm only wasting 1 minute 11 seconds of your life here!
    nice idea to qualify the hiking pole for hammock stand.

Hammock
    HH UL backpacker
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGravity View Post
    Staking has been my biggest challenge with a monopole. But I've always blamed it on my staking skill. lkk6783 do you mind taking some pictures of your staking, and describing your typical "soil" conditions?

So the beauty of a tensahedron stand is the horizontal forces coming from head end are in opposition to the horizontal forces from the foot end (assuming your connections at the base are decent enough).
    Thus staking is much less critical. If I had a "great" way to execute staking, I might be a monopole/bipole convert.
    i failed with one 12" nail on grasslands.
    and two 12" nail is OK. but it is too heavy for my hiking. so i only use it with picnic on park.

i use a lot of method to fix my ground suspension line. it depend on what i can find in the field. stone, rock, tree root, an another tree...29571233_2031810896833007_6199266702839852472_n.jpg29573170_2031800400167390_4533462717804765609_n.jpg29597642_2031800406834056_7151663228667591518_n.jpg29597738_2031800373500726_8997490452280318133_n.jpg
    Last edited by lkk6783; 08-23-2018 at 03:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast