Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadug View Post
    I'm planning on ordering a winter underquilt. My first thoughts are to get a full length quilt. Should I consider a 3/4 length? I'm not planning on using it below around 10 degrees but things happen. My main concern is weight and volume. Any thoughts on this?
    Many use the ad 10 degrees to your quilts for a little safety margin. So you are looking at 0 degree quilts. You will probably need a 90L back pack unless you will just be winter car camping.
    Or you use a pulk like me. Then you don't care how big or heavy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Since I am in the market for my first UQ, I am glad to read this thread (and a few others). I have been struggling with 3/4 vs full. I know people do UQ because it is undeniably better than a pad. If it is better than a pad, I have wondered why some folks use only 3/4 and are willing to settle for a pad for the other 1/4 which is the legs, the part of your body that is the most difficult to keep warm.

It is decided. I think I will do full. Now it is time for me to decide which UQ to put under my Warbonnet Blackbird.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Another option... Have Hammock Gear make you a custom Phincubator. I have a 40* that I love. Goes from my feet to just over my head. A bit shorter than my Incubators. I had a three quarter and sold it. I might make another over the winter but for me it is a limited use item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would go with a full length. It's just easier to ensure your feet stay warm and I think warm feet are worth the extra bulk and weight especially in winter temps.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texasmufflerman View Post
    Since I am in the market for my first UQ, I am glad to read this thread (and a few others). I have been struggling with 3/4 vs full. I know people do UQ because it is undeniably better than a pad. If it is better than a pad, I have wondered why some folks use only 3/4 and are willing to settle for a pad for the other 1/4 which is the legs, the part of your body that is the most difficult to keep warm.

It is decided. I think I will do full. Now it is time for me to decide which UQ to put under my Warbonnet Blackbird.
    Partial UQs are less expensive than a Full. Also easier to adjust in my opinion. They take up a bit less room in a small backpack. The small sit pad for feet I put inside my TQ. I can use it to sit on, fan a fire and keep my feet warm. All just choices in the end though.
    UQ intel....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Partial UQs are less expensive than a Full. Also easier to adjust in my opinion. They take up a bit less room in a small backpack. The small sit pad for feet I put inside my TQ. I can use it to sit on, fan a fire and keep my feet warm. All just choices in the end though.
    UQ intel....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug

Fine.... You guys convinced me. I just ordered a 0 degree incubator - extra long.... My wife thinks I'm crazy. I've got 3 top quilts and now 3 bottom quilts. She says I'm worse than her with shoes and purses.......

She thought this was a safe hobby to keep me away from my lifelong obsession with guitars- and I wouldn't come home with my 25th guitar.

Any thoughts/comments specifically related to bridge hammocks? I've decided to stick with my Ridgerunner, and need to decide on 3/4 or full Lynx.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies

I absolutely love my Wooki it's set and forget it and tailor made for the WBBB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muggins View Post
    Any thoughts/comments specifically related to bridge hammocks? I've decided to stick with my Ridgerunner, and need to decide on 3/4 or full Lynx.
    Just depends if you want to use a sit-pad for your feet in the Winter or full coverage.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Sounds good! I totally agree with you. You'll also see people thinking of ways to keep their feet warm (both full and 3/4). Since feet are susceptible and the first thing to get cold on most people, it's kinda silly to chance it to save 5oz and <3L of volume in your pack. On that note, if less than 3L of space is make-or-break when packing, then I think you have the wrong pack for the job in the first place. And if you're taking extra stuff to keep your feet warm, you probably negated any weight/volume savings anyway (extra pad, booties, socks, etc). Some people take this stuff anyway, but the rest still applies.

The loft on the UQ is keeping the cold out BEFORE it even gets near your feet, opposed to a pad which is letting it right up to your feet with no room to spare. With full length, you have a nice 3-4" of loft surrounding your feet. The down on the bottom of your TQ is useless since it's crushed by your heels/legs. And even the sides may be compressed a little by the hammock. None of that applies with a UQ that is differentially cut, hanging uncompressed outside the hammock.

Above 40° or so, for a low, it's not a big deal if you do get cold feet. But cold feet at 10° is vastly different, to the point where you may never go back to sleep.
    Last edited by OneClick; 08-23-2018 at 13:44.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast