Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think you'll be happy with the full length setup. I started out with a 3/4 length Greylock 4 0 degree UQ and still use it for cold weather when I use my backpack. Last fall, I bought a HG Econ 0 Incubater for winter trips when I'm using my pulk to haul in gear. It's my first full length I've owned and love the extra comfort and heat for my feet.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I have been in the market for winter undercoat as well. I was really leaning towards the three-quarter length Econ, but after hearing some of the suggestions here I might go for full length . My feet don’t usually get cold but it is something to think about.

Images
    One thing that may not be being considered: is your hammock single layer or double layer(aka pad pocket)?

Many of the votes against a short UQ with a pad are based upon the pad moving around. But if your pad is inside of a pad pocket- or inside your TQ's foot box as often used by Shug and others- it is not going to move.

My personal best for low temps was a mealy 6F. I did have a full length under insulation in the form of a Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter's single pad and space blanket under the foot section of my hammock, normally rated by me to about 30F. However, this was 6F. I did have some slight coolness under my calves, and ended up adding a cut off Walmart blue below my knees, mainly done to deal with some calf ridges I was experiencing. However, after adding this pad, my feet- in VB socks under wool socks under insulated booties in a TQ foot box were wat overheating and sweating all night long. Since my VB socks would keep all of that sweat out of my insulation, I just ignored it. But keep in mind the bottom line of what I am saying here: my feet, rather than being cold, were sweating at 6F. Again, this was using a WM cut off blue under my TQ and on top of the HHSS 5/8" OCF pad under the hammock. How often do you read here about folks who hav a foot over heating/sweat issue at 6F? Not that often!

But really, as I may have already said, it all comes down to weight and bulk vs convenience. Which is most important to you? If you already have a sit or back pack frame pad with you anyway, then obviously using these to insulate your feet is not going to result in any extra weight or bulk or expense for you. It will be the most weight/bulk/cost efficient approach. And it can work, three are members here who have taken a WB Yeti-shortest of the torso UQs- below zero using some form of foot pad, and they were totally warm.

OTOH, if a few extra oz or a bit more bulk or cost are not important to you, then I think a well fitting full length UQ or Pea Pod is more convenient. Either approach has worked great for many a hanger, including me.

Here is a short synthetic Yeti UQ being with a foot pad(or pack) at almost zero(abot 5F?), along with an old synthetic sleeping bag as TQ. The user ( Cannibal ) reported being plenty warm. Notice not even a tarp.

Maybe consider if you toss and turn lot in the hammock. And of coarse, how important 3 or 4 oz plus some 1/3 extra bulk are to you.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-02-2018 at 20:49.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I would recommend the full length if:
    - You spend a significant amount of time lounging in hammock (coffee, reading, whatever).
    - You want one single UQ that can do everything.
    - You are a side sleeper, fidgeter, or toss-n-turner.
    - You want a less fiddly setup.
    Very helpful post for a noob. Thanks!

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I never occurred to me to put my sit-pad in my footbox, I just put it at the end of the hammock and rest my feet on it. Since I was bringing a sit-pad anyway (which is basically insulation) it seemed obvious to me that I could use it with a 3/4 UQ to get complete coverage. However, for the extra weight in cold weather I'd use a full size for comfort and safety because I'd be more concerned about keeping my feet warm in sub freezing weather than I am in 50 degree weather.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    ...more concerned about keeping my feet warm in sub freezing weather than I am in 50 degree weather.
    That's they key. In cold weather with a full length, you have about 8" (UQ+TQ) of virtually uncompressed down between the weather and your feet opposed to half that plus cold foam pad.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I started with a 20 degree 3/4 length. After a number of winter trips and still having cold feet issues, pad slipping out from under my feet, winter coat not quite doing the trick, etc... I broke down and bought a full length for winter.

I still use the 3/4 length for the rest of the year.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadug View Post
    I'm planning on ordering a winter underquilt. My first thoughts are to get a full length quilt. Should I consider a 3/4 length? I'm not planning on using it below around 10 degrees but things happen. My main concern is weight and volume. Any thoughts on this?
    I would definitely go with full length UQ for winter use. The few ounces you save with 3/4 will be offset by the discomfort risk you avoid.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadug View Post
    I'm planning on ordering a winter underquilt. My first thoughts are to get a full length quilt. Should I consider a 3/4 length? I'm not planning on using it below around 10 degrees but things happen. My main concern is weight and volume. Any thoughts on this?

ED9435A1-D183-4A01-A1F4-2B3EAA89906C.jpg88373AFF-F957-4CC6-A69E-B2B215443A12.jpg
    Based on this conversation 4 weeks ago I ordered a long hammock gear Econ 0 degree underquilt. I figured I wanted my winter camping to be perfect.

I got it exactly on time and really like it. I’m amazed by the loft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123