Back Yard Porch Mode on the relatively cheap

Had a heck of a nap in the back yard today, thought Iíd share the setup as itís proof you can do this hobby right for a rather modest investment: Oileus XL hammock (itís branded TuTu Outdoors on the actual hammock as I received it but looks identical to the listing), the cheapest darn near 11ft (actually 10í10Ē) hammock Iíve ever seen for sale at $17.99, and the Chill Gorilla hex tarp, only $33 for the apparently less desirable olive drab color. Both purchased from amazon. Note the dead palm frond porch pole, not to mention the pogo stick to open up the rear breezeway, both free of charge thanks to messy trees and kids.

This particular setup has been enhanced with many more dollars in Dutchware and other purchases than spent on the hammock and tarp, but both the hammock and tarp are fully functional as purchased. The hammock comes with carabiners and daisy chain straps (which work just fine) which I replaced with Amsteel loops, descending rings, poly webbing and Dutch clips. The tarp comes with nice aluminum stakes, but bulky reflective guy line cord, which I replaced with reflect-it. I also added an amsteel structural ridgeline. These enhancements make the suspension more adjustable and less bulky (therefore easier to pack away), but again, these pieces of gear are fully functional out of the box.

Nothing against the fine workmanship of the cottage companies, I plan on getting a higher end setup over time, but if you donít have a boutique budget, thereís some good stuff to be had out there.

7B001A02-282D-470F-B738-1AE84EE59FFF.jpg

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF!

For someone starting from scratch and who isn't sure the hammock thing is for them, your approach is what I'd recommend. No point in dropping large $$ for higher quality high-end gear until you're sure hammocking is for you.
    "Behold, as the wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    Welcome to HF!

For someone starting from scratch and who isn't sure the hammock thing is for them, your approach is what I'd recommend. No point in dropping large $$ for higher quality high-end gear until you're sure hammocking is for you.
    Thank you! I’ve been enjoying the hobby about 3 years, started with an ENO as I’m sure many do, which I enjoyed but was a bit short for me, I wasn’t too disappointed when it ripped (my fault). Thanks to this forum and myriad YouTube videos I’ve learned the benefits of a longer hammock (the one I recommend above is longer, and indistinguishable quality-wise from the ENO, for far less money). Don’t want to disparage ENO as they got me into the hobby, but when you can get a longer hammock AND a tarp for the same price...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That'll do. Anything that gets you off the ground and is comfortable. Why the tarp though on a beautiful day though?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    That'll do. Anything that gets you off the ground and is comfortable. Why the tarp though on a beautiful day though?
    Super hot direct sun, even hot under the tarp, hence the pogo stick to let more breeze through

I do like the looks of that hanging spot. Makes me want to lie right down with a good book and snooze after a page or two.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickweissmusic View Post
    Super hot direct sun, even hot under the tarp, hence the pogo stick to let more breeze through
    Ah, gotcha. I've never visited the San Diego area but made the assumption that there would always be a good breeze. Congrats on the setup.

sweet! i started with a bed sheet then went to ENO and it just keeps going on and on and.....

Hammock
    Twisted Root Big Mozzi
    Tarp
    HH Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Sewn Loop
    I thought I would share: My first camping hammock was a woot.com special from Twisted Root Designs for like $15. It's still one of my favorite hammocks to hang in due to the length and comfort of fabric. I've ripped and repaired the bugnet and messed around with it a ton (suspension changes, ropes, ridgeline, etc.) and it is still going strong. It's not high-quality at all, but somehow they nailed it in terms of overall comfort.

Loved the picture, I could see myself hanging out there quite comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by n8jones418 View Post
    I thought I would share: My first camping hammock was a woot.com special from Twisted Root Designs for like $15. It's still one of my favorite hammocks to hang in due to the length and comfort of fabric. I've ripped and repaired the bugnet and messed around with it a ton (suspension changes, ropes, ridgeline, etc.) and it is still going strong. It's not high-quality at all, but somehow they nailed it in terms of overall comfort.

Loved the picture, I could see myself hanging out there quite comfortably.
    Great point about inexpensive gear remaining useful, even if I end up with a cuben fiber tarp at some point, this $33 one will remain more useful for the bright sun here.