DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks

Sunset Saddle Bag Outside Hammock Storage Solution

Folks I’d like to introduce you to a little project that I have been working on with Jared from Simply Light Designs. These are called the “Sunset Saddle Bags” (SSSB) or just “Saddle Bags” for short. I was looking for a way to create additional storage outside of your common symmetrical gathered end hammock like the Trail Lair. It utilizes the hammock quilt hooks for stability not for weight bearing. Also you could use some Dutchware quilt hooks/alligator clips for netless hammocks. Haven't tried these on any other hammock except the Trail Lair.

04-sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

I felt that the best area for what I was after was the empty space on either end because it would still be under the tarp and accessible from the hammock while inside if you needed it to be. The idea is to create a dry and bug proof space to store things like your empty pack, hiking boots, poncho or jacket. I was getting annoyed at being out from under the tarp accessing my back pack as well as being concerned about where to keep my boots etc. The fabric helps to keep the ends dry and the bug mesh helps to keep critters out as well as air out any funk.

03-sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

I created a few sketches and brainstormed about the idea and did some testing of my own (Originally called "The Rat Sack"). To best keep the angle of your hammock like you want it seems best to keep the weight of gear stored to around 5 pounds or so. You can use one or two depending on how you want your load out to be and they weigh just 2.5 ounces each with the hardware.

02-sketch.jpg

The first prototype that I created myself at home was big and messy and I soon realized that I needed the help of a master hammock craftsman. I reached out to some other vendors and basically got no response except for Jared at Simply Light Designs who after completing some orders quickly took my idea and sketches from paper to reality.

The SSSB version 1.0 came out a little big and the zippers needed to be reversed along with some minor changes, but Jared quickly fixed and came out with version 2.0; which, is what you see below. He is now on version 3.0 which is essentially the same but he made some modifications to make sewing it easier and quicker for him to maximize workflow.

05--sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

06-sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

These are or will be available on his site www.simplylightdesigns.com or you can email him at [email protected]. I don’t get any kick back revenue from Jared and I paid to have the prototypes developed. My goal is to spread the word to help better the hammock community and for anyone that may want a storage solution like this as well as support cottage hammock vendors.

I setup the saddle bags with my Hammock Gear under quilt to see if it would interfere with either operation and it did not cause any issues. I also setup my small Warbonnet Edge tarp with doors to see how well the coverage would be over the bags and with the doors closed. There didn’t seem to be any functional issue or concerns about coverage at all.

07-sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

08-sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

09-sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

10-sunset-saddle-bag.jpg

I will be posting a video on my channel sometime soon showing a review of these in depth but feel free to comment on this thread with your opinions or reach out to Jared if you are interested. I think but don't quote me the price will range around $25-$35 each depending on if you go bare bones or choose pair or choose hardware or want special colors or material but I’m not sure at this time what Jared will price his at. Thanks for taking the time to read and enjoy your day!

/////////////UPDATE/////////////
    Here is the store link that Jared sent me with product as a pair.
    Change the options to fit your quantity, price and need.
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...roducts_id/655

/////////////MY VIDEO REVIEW/////////////
    https://youtu.be/Q8mzw4XVmNA
    Last edited by Papatechie; 08-28-2018 at 23:22. Reason: Added link
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Good luck with these... I have similar design on my iPad right now! ....great minds/ same direction.
    Dry storage under the tarp is always a popular idea.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Good luck with these... I have similar design on my iPad right now! ....great minds/ same direction.
    Dry storage under the tarp is always a popular idea.
    Awesome! I'd love to see your designs and product when finished! Always good to see what other folks are brewing!
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post
    Awesome! I'd love to see your designs and product when finished! Always good to see what other folks are brewing!
    Can do. That one is back down on my list a ways especially now since you have this going and Dutch has the inside end baggies for the Chameleon and the SideCar. But I have to excavate my TI anyway for a bunch of other fiddly lil'dealies... any of which I might show off on here...
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Neat idea! How large of a pack will fit?

In which case, check out KitsapCowboy’s Warbag. I’ll be giving it my first shakedown on the trail in a few days. It’s a large Xenon fabric gear hammock with a ridgeline and a flip top cover much like Dutch’s “Flipping the Bird” hammock, except it’s like a winter cover and all one continuous piece instead of two pieces sewn together.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Neat idea! How large of a pack will fit?

In which case, check out KitsapCowboy’s Warbag. I’ll be giving it my first shakedown on the trail in a few days. It’s a large Xenon fabric gear hammock with a ridgeline and a flip top cover much like Dutch’s “Flipping the Bird” hammock, except it’s like a winter cover and all one continuous piece instead of two pieces sewn together.
    Right now I have a MyTrailCo 70 liter, with a winter jacket and hiking pole plus could squeeze in some more. Probably good for flexible UL backpacks and not the heavy firm ones. That KAC Warbag looks dope! is it similar in function to the MollyMac Gear box?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I had to look it up as I hadn’t known about it. Yup, it looks like the same thing except this XL version I got from him is a little bigger, I think. He also makes a mini version, which I tried. I prefer the larger one.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I had to look it up as I hadn’t known about it. Yup, it looks like the same thing except this XL version I got from him is a little bigger, I think. He also makes a mini version, which I tried. I prefer the larger one.
    Ahh Ok got it! Here is image(s) of the Sunset Saddle Bag with MyTrailCo 70L, pole and Jacket.

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Ahh Ok got it! Here is image(s) of the Sunset Saddle Bag with MyTrailCo 70L, pole and Jacket.

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg
    This is a nice concept. Could you leave the mosquito net and zipper off completely without sacrificing functionality? Might even achieve the same effect with a specially tailored pack cover using the cover's cinch cord to hold gear in the pocket when hung for storage. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    This is a nice concept. Could you leave the mosquito net and zipper off completely without sacrificing functionality? Might even achieve the same effect with a specially tailored pack cover using the cover's cinch cord to hold gear in the pocket when hung for storage. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Excellent, I am pretty sure leaving the net and zipper off would work; but, contact Jared to see if he would do a custom mod for you by leaving off the zippers and mesh.

Your idea about the dual purpose pack cover and end solution is very similar to Jeff Gear Storage by Jacks R Better. You could get one and try Dutchware Gears tarp tie out clips for stability.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jef...ockpack-cover/

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/cl...arp-pull-outs/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast