Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    REI Hammock TarpXL
    Insulation
    HammockGear Econ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird
    In the event anyone of larger stature attempts this, I weigh 300lb and just snapped the aluminum section of one of the poles on my first test. Luckily it was only 1 so I can return the other 3.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am about 230 lbs and i was fine in mine for a little while. My wife put my 30 lb son in with me and it was too much for it. I would guess the limit to be about 240-250lbs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings
    I've been wandering in my local Menards hardware store and I came across a telescoping pool pole. It's lighter than the paint poles. It felt pretty strong. I extended one out to about 8.5 feet and leaned in on it pretty good (fully extended is 12 feet). Any thoughts on using one for a stand? It's a twist-lock, so I would have to drill a hole for a pin. I'm roughly 150 Lbs and would like to build a portable stand. I made one out of wood last year and enjoyed it.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings
    A store employee looked up some info for me. He confirmed that the pole is aluminum, but I don't have wall thickness information or anything.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I found myself with some rare free time yesterday, so I got a few projects done. One of them was reinforcing the insides of the four telescoping poles with sections of a 3/4" dowel. I cut about 9" sections and epoxied them inside the ends of each of the poles. If I were to do it again, I'd go with 8-1/2" sections. 9" is just long enough to be able to see the dowel in the next adjustment hole. Anyway, after that, I reinstalled the self-tapping screws that hold in the cast threaded ends and drilled out the other holes with a 1/4" bit. Then I chamfered the holes with a Dremel. I didn't have a lot of confidence in that job and was concerned I'd still be putting my Amsteel in harm's way. That's when I realized that I have these 1/4" grommets lying around. I epoxied a pair into the ends of each pole. They fit perfectly, and should protect my cordage. I'll be adding my loops this week sometime, and I'll add some photos.

I've also just ordered one of these on eBay, which should serve to carry the whole assembly pretty well. Unfortunately, they're all from China.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    thermarest
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing/Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    I found myself with some rare free time yesterday, so I got a few projects done. One of them was reinforcing the insides of the four telescoping poles with sections of a 3/4" dowel. I cut about 9" sections and epoxied them inside the ends of each of the poles. If I were to do it again, I'd go with 8-1/2" sections. 9" is just long enough to be able to see the dowel in the next adjustment hole. Anyway, after that, I reinstalled the self-tapping screws that hold in the cast threaded ends and drilled out the other holes with a 1/4" bit. Then I chamfered the holes with a Dremel. I didn't have a lot of confidence in that job and was concerned I'd still be putting my Amsteel in harm's way. That's when I realized that I have these 1/4" grommets lying around. I epoxied a pair into the ends of each pole. They fit perfectly, and should protect my cordage. I'll be adding my loops this week sometime, and I'll add some photos.

I've also just ordered one of these on eBay, which should serve to carry the whole assembly pretty well. Unfortunately, they're all from China.
    Cool! Looking forward to seeing pics

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Here are the pole ends with the grommets. I'm getting more Amsteel tomorrow so I can make a CL for each end of the hammock to connect to.

I'm working on some way to cover the bare aluminum ends of the poles. The last thing I want to do is put snags or holes in a tarp if it gets hung up on a pole.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I replaced a bicycle inner tube today and before I threw the old tube away I wondered, "What could someone do with this rubber?" I'm guessing bike shops have a lot of old inner tubes. You could cut to size and slip them over the potentially sharp ends.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    That's a good idea. I've picked up used tubes from bike shops for other projects. Actually, one time I grabbed some to run my tree straps through to provide grip on a couple of slippery painted square steel columns. It worked great.

One of the other things I need to do, though, is figure out some tarp extensions. I may make a mold of that hexagon profile so I can make something that will slide down onto the pole ends.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I think I found the lower limit for the size of a spliced continuous loop made from 7/64" Amsteel. These are the first ones I've made. The buries are around 4", but I had to trim off most of the tapered ends so they didn't overlap in the middle. I hope they hold up.
    You can see just a little bit of the tapered end peeking out on the right (top) side of this loop:
    IMG_0754.jpg

The foot-end guy line is larks-headed onto the bottom side of the loop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast