Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps

Into the Bitterroots of Montana

In early July we took a trip into the Bitterroot Mountains of Montana.

When I researched the area, I had initially picked a fairly easy route. There was plenty of miles, but the elevation gain was moderate for me. I called the ranger station just to verify that those trails were open. They told me that the trail I wanted to go in on was taken out by a landslide and would be impassable until they could get a crew in there to repair it.

From there I changed the route and picked a much more difficult route. The new route would be much more scenic, but there would be a lot more elevation gain and more miles.

We started out by crossing Straight Creek several times and ran in to some horsemen going up the trail to stay at Straight Lake. As we started up the trail to Chilcoot Pass, I started to get cramps in my legs. I had a rough time, but I made it up and over the pass. At camp my legs continued to bother me and I actually vomited when we got to camp.

The next morning I did all I could to treat my issues and I almost changed our route to get out early. In the end there wasn't a closer route that was open. As we continued on, I started to feel better. The incredible views on the Bitterroot Divide were helping. The rest of the trip was unremarkable, physically, but the views were on point.

We hiked out on the North Fork trail to finish the trip. At the time this was the longest, toughest hike I had done. I'll remember it for a long time.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Great video. Thank you. What was your pack weight at start of trip?

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.6 Hexon Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    Awesome, looks amazing

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Welcome to the longest mountain range in the lower Rockies. The southern part of the Bitterroots is my back yard since I moved over from Bozeman last year. Quite a bit different country from where you went as it is a glacier carved granite batholith. Last weekend Belle and I ventured up the highest peak in the Bitterroots, Trapper Peak. I have been looking at the north side of Trapper from my window and didn't want to spend another winter wondering what it was like up top.

TrapperPeakwithBelle08252018_7.jpg
    TrapperPeakwithBelle08252018_10.jpg

I see you have a different dog from the shepherd that accompanied you before? Hope all is well there with your buddy.

I also went through a similar dehydration/electrolyte illness when BBQDad and I went into the Bob Marshall about the same time this spring. Mostly chills and nausea. Took a rest day and upped the hydration and electrolytes. I was ready to go after the rest day, but an unfortunate hammock equipment failure shortened the foray.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 08-29-2018 at 20:15.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    That is indead a beautiful part of the state. Thanks for sharing your hike.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Senior Member mountain wanderer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Simply Light Designs - Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    Great video. Thank you. What was your pack weight at start of trip?
    I think that I started this hike at 29 lbs. I personal record (low lbs) for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Welcome to the longest mountain range in the lower Rockies. The southern part of the Bitterroots is my back yard since I moved over from Bozeman last year. Quite a bit different country from where you went as it is a glacier carved granite batholith. Last weekend Belle and I ventured up the highest peak in the Bitterroots, Trapper Peak. I have been looking at the north side of Trapper from my window and didn't want to spend another winter wondering what it was like up top.

TrapperPeakwithBelle08252018_7.jpg
    TrapperPeakwithBelle08252018_10.jpg

I see you have a different dog from the shepherd that accompanied you before? Hope all is well there with your buddy.

I also went through a similar dehydration/electrolyte illness when BBQDad and I went into the Bob Marshall about the same time this spring. Mostly chills and nausea. Took a rest day and upped the hydration and electrolytes. I was ready to go after the rest day, but an unfortunate hammock equipment failure shortened the foray.
    I hope to get further south in the Bitterroots next year. Hopefully right in your backyard! Regarding my dog, my friend has dogs that he likes to take with us and one of his dogs doesn't get along with other dogs. So I left mine at home so that he could get his out on a trip. My dog will be in the next video!

Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    That is indead a beautiful part of the state. Thanks for sharing your hike.
    I love it every time I get out there, although I am hoping to do some hikes over in your next of the woods in the coming years.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Great video & what a beautiful area to hike!

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Great video. What a beautiful area you were in. I was worried when I didn't see your dog with you, so I was happy to hear he just wasn't able to join you on this trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Images
    Beautiful!

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Thank you for the video. Sixty years ago, I spent the summer on a remote lookout on the Deerlodge NF. next to the Bitterroot. We trained with the Bitterroot for a week at a CCC camp near Dillon. The only contact that I had that summer was when the District Ranger would pack in supplies every two weeks. The old Forest Service had over four thousand lookouts and once you hiked in, you stayed in. In 1961, I spent 28 days on the Bitterroot on the Sleeping Child Fire. It was a ten mile hike to base camp and and the last of the old time fires that are now forgotten. A gold pan should always been included in your pack in your country.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast