Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Tensa4 w/Whoopies

Tensa4 tarp setup suggestions

I have one of the 1st gen Tensa4 stands and love it but I would like to make a modification. I have used the stand most of the summer - 18 nights so far. Most nights if clear enough I just leave the tarp off and sleep under the stars but with fall coming I think I am going to want the tarp.
    I have a Superfly and have 2 issues. One is once setup and when I climb into the hammock the tarp loses tension as the stands "closes up" a little. Second using the stand as the center tie out the tarp sits very low and being 6"2" I am not happy trying to "crawl out" if I get up in the night or even in the morning. Don't get me wrong I love the Tensa4 it has made hanging so much easier anywhere, I am just trying to make it perfect. This weekend showers are forecast so I will need the tarp and I was thinking of using my "porch mode" poles on the ends of the stands to raise it up. I was thinking of wedging the porch poles against the stand with a line staked out to hold steady, then a tarp ridge line to hold the tarp up at about 6 '.
    I have figured out several ways to keep tension on the tarp so what I am really looking for is ways to get more height under the tarp.
    I have looked for examples and have not seen any. What do you think? What is everyone else doing? Or is it the one small disappointment I am doomed to live with?

Thanks for your thoughts
    Roy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With the tarp ridgelines staked out to the ground I have not experienced saggy tarp.
    You could add the head-end tether to the Tensa4 as well.
    Here are photos on mine using Warbonnet MiniFly......https://flic.kr/s/aHsmqvEMBd

Shug

ShugArt Hammock Paintings....https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShugArtStu...platform-mcnav

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    With the tarp ridgelines staked out to the ground I have not experienced saggy tarp.
    You could add the head-end tether to the Tensa4 as well.
    Here are photos on mine using Warbonnet MiniFly......https://flic.kr/s/aHsmqvEMBd

Shug

Is this a time when using some shock cord adjusting tieouts would work best to keep things tight when getting in the Tensa4? If you tieout the ridgeline to the ground, is there rubbing on the inside of the tarp ends when the Tensa shifts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    Is this a time when using some shock cord adjusting tieouts would work best to keep things tight when getting in the Tensa4? If you tieout the ridgeline to the ground, is there rubbing on the inside of the tarp ends when the Tensa shifts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No rubbing. The tarp does not go over the apex of the Tensa4...just the ridgeline end tie outs.
    The updated Tensa4 comes with a head end tether with shockcord.

ShugArt Hammock Paintings....https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShugArtStu...platform-mcnav

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Another tensioning option would be a bit of shock cord at one end of the tarp.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Glad you've worked out the tensioning. More height under the tarp is more involved. We're working on a packaged "extender pole" solution at Tensa, not yet ready for prime time, but readily hackable. One approach is an angled (plumbing?) fitting that sends up a tarp support the right height and distance from one of the apexes, foot removed. Another is a longer lighter pole that gets bungied equidistant to the main poles, resting in the crux of the apexes, to run up and out as necessary.

My favorite extra height hack is to set up on a steep slope, foot end downslope. The higher foot end and falling ground gives you extra room under that end at least, stealing it from the head end that's practically on grade.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

The instructions for the Tensa4 suggest hanging a weight to the head end apex to help stabilize things. When I use my Superfly with the Tensa4, I drape my tarp ridgeline over the head end apex and attach a weight to the end of the ridgeline so the weight hangs a few inches off the ground. The weight maintains constant tension on the tarp ridgeline even when the Tensa4 apex moves, and it helps stabilize the Tensa4.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    In my yard, which would also apply to car camping, I've used a couple of 6' bamboo garden poles and set the tarp up independently of the stand and once the tarp was up put the stand under it.
    tensastand bamboo poles.jpg
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

• + New Posts