Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPE alternative

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest

Question SPE alternative

There may already be a thread on this somewhere (but I haven't found it), so I apologize if I'm being redundant. For a cheap CCF pad, instead of using a full, sewn fabric pad extender, what about simply making wings with ribbon cable? Same idea as an SPE, different method of doing it. You could cut a small slit on the pad and the wings, loop the ribbon through the pad and the wing, making a hinge to hold the wings in place. It would probably be more durable than tape, and lighter/easier (I don't have a sewing machine) than a SPE. For two wings (one on either side), you would only need 4 pieces of ribbon maybe 3" or 4" long. For packing up, you could easily take the ribbon loop out to roll up the pad, and stash the wings. Easy. Thin rope would work as well, but ribbon cable could be more comfortable.

Sorry I don't have any pictures or diagrams, I hope the idea came across. I also would try this myself immediately, but I'm studying for a semester in Singapore, sadly away from all my gear. I'm planning an AT thru hike after graduation (2011) and want an inexpensive insulation option that can also translate to shelters.

What do you think? Any shortcomings in this idea? Would the ccf rip? Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Hi Will,

The idea sounds interesting, and seems that it could work. Ribbon cable can be easily found in junked computers.

One question: How would the ribbon cable be connected to itself? Once the cable is looped through the pad and the extension, the loop needs to be closed in some way or the extension could come apart from the main pad.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I know connecting pad pieces have been discussed before but I couldn't find the posts. Sgt Rock did something similar with old army pads, but not with the ribbon cables. http://hikinghq.net/hammock/wing_pad.html

Something to watch out for in your design, the stretching forces will tend to pull the pad apart at the joints, creating spaces that will be cold spots. Good luck, let us know what you come up with.
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Thanks guys. Yea, I am still trying to think of what insignificant piece of plastic could link the loops together. Using rope instead of a ribbon cable or ribbon rope, you could just tie it, but then you'd have to tie/untie every time you wanted to use it. Something like a metal ring to hold notecards together would be good, except that would be uncomfortable and probably come apart. But something that linked like that...

Maybe one of those lashes that you use to keep a ccf pad rolled up? black flat rope/ribbon with a pull through fastener on one end (sorry I don't know what those are called). those ends are usually light metal or plastic. the only other concern there is damaging the hammock material if it's on the bottom. Actually I'm starting to get a few ideas... the thin dog leashes you get from the vet sometimes might work out really well. And there are some fasteners that might work, I just need to go roam around a hardware store when I get back.

That's a good point about the cold spot... the wing would have to stay close, but I'm not sure how you could reinforce the slit so that it wouldn't stretch. That's why I was thinking ribbon cable or a flat rope, so it would spread out the force a little bit. So would more lash points but that would be annoying.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Duct tape will work.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I posted a CCF - SPE DIY Combo here, complee with pictures: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14196

I had the chance to test it just this weekend at 9,600 ft, with temps of 0 degrees and +9 degrees. Warm as toast. My write-up is on the link. - Hope this may help you!
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's my system. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ

The black strips or hinges are pieces of nylon that I simply glued in place. They hinge very well and have not come loose in a couple of year's use.

Miguel

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    miguel that looks pretty good

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Here's my system. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ

The black strips or hinges are pieces of nylon that I simply glued in place. They hinge very well and have not come loose in a couple of year's use.

Miguel
    Really nice, and clean. I'm surprised that contact cement would hold up that well, with all the rolling and unrolling. My only other concern was of the pad rolling up small enough with the wings tucked in, but it looks like you've got it pretty well set...

Hammock
    Parrot Bay Key Largo
    Tarp
    a cheap one
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag & UQ
    Suspension
    Cords
    Forgive me for being a noob, but what is the exact function of SPE's or these pad extensions? Do they prevent the pad from slipping around? Do they add a little more "pad" near the shoulders and hips?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast