Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

What don't you like about your spin tarp

Seems like more businesses are offering spin tarps. If you've got one, is there anything you don't like about it?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    mine doesn't pack as small as a sil one of the same size, but other than that...

My biggest complaint with the Spinn tarps is that it is really loud in the wind. No matter how tight I have it, I still get a lot more noise from it than the silnylon.

The Spinn fabric also appears to be much more delicate than the silnylon and I am always a little nervous when setting it up in a non-established camp site. I have to be really careful to clear the site of any possible snags above and below the tarp. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable carrying it on the outside pocket on my pack here in NJ, there are just too many briars, snags, and rocks that could do a number on a tarp.
    I have noticed that my spinn stuff sacks have started to show signs of wear a lot sooner than my silnylon stuff sacks. I am not overly gentle with them, but I really have to be careful how tightly they get packed and that they are not rubbing against anything, or I can guarantee a hole in them. I have a couple I learned the hard way with when they rubbed against the buckles on a compression sack that holds my sleeping bag.

It defintely doesn't pack down smaller than a silnylon tarp the same size.

Other than that I like how waterproof it is and how light it is. I still question whether the benefits make up for the cost and the durability issues, but I still have mine and use it regulary.

DG

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Has anyone had a a spinn tarp rip?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Like the others say, it's a little noiser when it's loose. Mostly I only notice when setting it up.

I find that it doesn't 'stuff' to the same size as an equivalent silnylon tarp, but if I 'roll' it instead, it does go to the same size.

I haven't had any problems with durability or ripping.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The price

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Real noisy when setting up or packing away. Different sound/frequency of noise when rain or other things hit it. Something that some may find annoying. Not sure about long term durability relative to stress fatigue, UV breakdown. I hope there will be some signs of impending failure vs. sudden catastrophic failure.
    Noel V.

to loud and expensive
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Oh, I just hate spinn tarps! They are too dang light! I don't get to put those cool looking $30 self-tensioners on them. They won't soak up water and double in weight either. Nor do they droop into really cool shapes overnight. Oh, I just hate them!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by damngoat View Post
    The Spinn fabric also appears to be much more delicate than the silnylon and I am always a little nervous when setting it up in a non-established camp site. I have to be really careful to clear the site of any possible snags above and below the tarp. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable carrying it on the outside pocket on my pack here in NJ, there are just too many briars, snags, and rocks that could do a number on a tarp.
    I was once worried about such things, no longer. When hiking, I generally carry my tarp in the outside mesh pocket on my ULAs so I can easily deploy. When I started carrying it on the AT in N. Carolina, I was very worried. I babied it and spoke nicely to it. I always lovingly and carefully stuffed it back into the pack every morning. Then at Trail Days a big branch broke and fell from about 30' right onto the sidewall of my Spinn baby. As the first tear of loss started to form in the corner of my eye, the 3" branch hit my tarp and was bounced 10' away. Not even a blemish on my tarp and I was expecting a huge gash. After that, I got over myself and started treating it like any other tarp. I went through NJ no problems. Had to bushwack about 2 miles after missing a fork in the trail in NY; my face, legs, and arms were shredded by branches, but not my Spinn tarp in the outer mesh pocket. Here in Colorado I've had the wind grab it when I'm setting it up and rake it across winter brush; no marks.

The stuff is tough! Hard to believe holding it I understand, but it's a whole lot tougher than it looks or feels.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast