Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images

Update to the update

I have to say that after 4or 5 nights Iíve fallen back in love with this old hammock. I have hundreds of nights in this hammock but but itís a new ride completely with the pole mod, I am seriously loving it.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    can you see any way to do a bug net on it? I guess a fronkey style would work fine

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    can you see any way to do a bug net on it? I guess a fronkey style would work fine
    I have not yet tried to put my bug net on it, I have a diy sock style bug net and one form wilderness logics, so they're zipper entry full sock bug nets and I think they would work with it. As far as an integrated net goes I don't see why it wouldn't work to run it on the outside over the top of the whole thing... you might have to tie a string to it to keep it in just the right place. But when I'm not in the hammock I dont think the pole is puting any real force on the hammock only when I'm in it and the pole is bent is it really doing anything.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I think the 2 poles benefits the banana sleepers, where the diagonal pole works better for diagonal sleepers?

I have to admit, I thought the way they integrated the bug net onto the 2 poles was pretty clever though
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I have not yet tried to put my bug net on it, I have a diy sock style bug net and one form wilderness logics, so they're zipper entry full sock bug nets and I think they would work with it. As far as an integrated net goes I don't see why it wouldn't work to run it on the outside over the top of the whole thing... you might have to tie a string to it to keep it in just the right place. But when I'm not in the hammock I dont think the pole is puting any real force on the hammock only when I'm in it and the pole is bent is it really doing anything.
    Red- Nice work!!!

This has always been a concept that interested me greatly since I got into bridges. I have several prototypes that I haven't taken far enough. To an extent... you can do so many fun things with poles but at some point the poles (and resulting reinforcement) starts to hurt my gram weenie

Like you mentioned in the video about not driving nails in your floor... I like floating/stakeless systems outside too. Always seemed weird to me to have this beautiful, floating, free swinging hammock and then tie the whole thing down.

Anywho: just wanted to encourage you and others on this idea.

The two pole thing can be nice but it gets a bit complicated, especially if your UQ is floating. With the one pole- you can still access underneath easy enough without going crazy.
    A few adjustable shock cords to clip your quilt open helps a bit- you can roughly use the pole locations for a two point that will get the UQ pretty close. Use a light cord lock though so you don't risk any damage to your UQ... IE- if something has to give then the shock cord can slip through the cordlock.

If you're really careful and it's generously cut- you can use the one pole with a fronkey style bottom entry net... but in the long run you're better off making a fresh one IMO. If nothing else... integrating one means that the net moves with the hammock and pole as it is loaded. That's the general problem with floating systems... getting things to work together.

This concept actually works really well for kids... my son likes to wiggle around and play. So I can use this trick to give him an XL wide hammock for laying/lounging/sitting at 90* but because he's only 4' tall, he likes sleeping mainly in line. In his case I use a small pole mod at the head end simply to stop him from getting swallowed up in the whole mess. It also keeps things fairly organized for him so he doesn't spill out.

Beastie D's are your friend if you want to play with them more. Putting a 3/4" Beastie D or a 1" triangle on a prussic is a good way to build that RL connection.

Here's a prototype from outer space via Heavy influence from TZBrown.... Also a subtle hint at what you can do if you choose to combine tie outs with your space anchor.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwgupc9MUxMbpwS01umg

This is a bridge... but here's a full floating system- no stakes.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwgrpV-xMJxieJVqn1dg

Hammock
    Happy Medium Bridge, LSOH, DH
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End
    Insulation
    Down & Synthetic
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    The tarp in the 2nd photo seems oddly familiar...
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    The tarp in the 2nd photo seems oddly familiar...
    Indeed

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Red- Nice work!!!

This has always been a concept that interested me greatly since I got into bridges. I have several prototypes that I haven't taken far enough. To an extent... you can do so many fun things with poles but at some point the poles (and resulting reinforcement) starts to hurt my gram weenie

Like you mentioned in the video about not driving nails in your floor... I like floating/stakeless systems outside too. Always seemed weird to me to have this beautiful, floating, free swinging hammock and then tie the whole thing down.

Anywho: just wanted to encourage you and others on this idea.

The two pole thing can be nice but it gets a bit complicated, especially if your UQ is floating. With the one pole- you can still access underneath easy enough without going crazy.
    A few adjustable shock cords to clip your quilt open helps a bit- you can roughly use the pole locations for a two point that will get the UQ pretty close. Use a light cord lock though so you don't risk any damage to your UQ... IE- if something has to give then the shock cord can slip through the cordlock.

If you're really careful and it's generously cut- you can use the one pole with a fronkey style bottom entry net... but in the long run you're better off making a fresh one IMO. If nothing else... integrating one means that the net moves with the hammock and pole as it is loaded. That's the general problem with floating systems... getting things to work together.

This concept actually works really well for kids... my son likes to wiggle around and play. So I can use this trick to give him an XL wide hammock for laying/lounging/sitting at 90* but because he's only 4' tall, he likes sleeping mainly in line. In his case I use a small pole mod at the head end simply to stop him from getting swallowed up in the whole mess. It also keeps things fairly organized for him so he doesn't spill out.

Beastie D's are your friend if you want to play with them more. Putting a 3/4" Beastie D or a 1" triangle on a prussic is a good way to build that RL connection.

Here's a prototype from outer space via Heavy influence from TZBrown.... Also a subtle hint at what you can do if you choose to combine tie outs with your space anchor.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwgupc9MUxMbpwS01umg

This is a bridge... but here's a full floating system- no stakes.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apygyt54yYPwgrpV-xMJxieJVqn1dg
    Thanks for the encouragement and for giving it a try. Does your pole have a pre-bent section in the center?
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    nice to fall in love again!
    shug
    ShugArt Hammock Paintings....https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShugArtStu...platform-mcnav

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement and for giving it a try. Does your pole have a pre-bent section in the center?
    http://tentpoletechnologies.com/?page_id=671

I get all of my stuff from tent pole technologies, although Quest outfitters officially carries more.

https://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

So to answer your question- yes that pole in the photo has a prebent ferrule (arch) in it.

In the case of your single pole corner to corner design... introducing one of those near the center would help with the extreme change from unloaded to loaded. The advantage is that you have a more stable rig to use (no snap as you get in and out).

The disadvantage is you may lose some of the push that is helping to reduce calf ridge and improve the lay. However when you load the hammock the SRL will help maintain the downward force and push. So you'll trade a bit more resting shape for a bit less tension if that makes sense.

If you choose to take the idea out into the field... I feel it benefits from a bit more balance. Part of the reason for posting the floating bridge system was to show that... the flat pole is probably a bit better lay- but turns the hammock into a kite you couldn't put under a tarp or net. With one prebent section and a RL anchor for it you can more predictably install a net and/or tarp AND a decent shape for the whole mess when it's not occupied.

My bridge system can sit un-stakedÖ but a GE needs one anchor so it doesn't flip in the breeze and soak your UQ or dump your stuff if you're not in it. But it does make it possible to do an 'all in one' hammock tarp with bare minimum stakes and still get most of the benefits. I can also help with a minimal tarp (asym) because you're better able to ensure the hammock angle matches the tarp shape.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    there was a commercial hammock that did kinda/sorta something like that

this one. i want to hate it, but as you discovered, it's kinda sorta a neat idea
    What a clever commercial! Iíve never seen it. Very funny....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ďThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.Ē

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast