Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    they are very loquacious and garrulous if not downright effusive.
    shug
    Whoo buddy that some fancy talking right there! ( Shug, the fancy talker )
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Bodacious, even!
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I like to read, and there's not a whole lot better than getting to camp, getting set up

make yourself a hot coffee/tea and then drag a stump over to the water, and sit, mid calf deep in the water, resting your feet in the cool water

Last trip, I had 3 or 4 folks just stare as I sat and read, and drank coffee

went back and picked a bucket of raspberries, and when I got back an hour later, there was 4 other folks with stumps in the water reading, lol

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I did my first solo last weekend and spent a bit of time worrying about not making it to the pick up, that my ride wouldn’t find the pick up, that we wouldn’t be able to find my car back at the start if we both made it to the pick up, that I’d be too dead to work on Tuesday because I was so out of shape I couldn’t do as much as I had planned...basically convincing myself that a three day adventure was more than I could handle. BUT- once I made the decision that I could do the overnight, turn around, and hike out the next day, making it still a two day adventure with a successful solo overnight, I relaxed, enjoyed my dinner, and slept fabulously with the symphony of crickets and frogs.

Next time I won’t spend as much time worrying. That part isn’t so fun.
    Charlotte

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    You have to be comfortable in your own skin, once that is mastered the rest is easy.

I don't take electronics on the trail or the in the woods, I'm out there to get away from that stuff. I used to take a book, but I found I didn't really read that much; not worth the extra weight.

I like time in camp, I'm not much of a hiker; I usually have a destination in mind, a hunting or fishing spot, maybe just a cool place I like to hang.

Just chillin' is my forte, it's meditative, relaxing and helps to reset my clock. I really like not thinking about anything in general, just letting my thoughts wander, watching the natural world; it eases me and passes the time.

For me, getting out is getting away, plus I'm lazy by nature anyway; so it all works out rather nicely.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW HIKER View Post
    ... And I'm not much on just relaxing and enjoying the peace and quiet. Even that can get old…too me.
    This makes me wonder why you like going out in the woods??

not really...
    Well, if you are scared of being alone, that is different than "I'ma be bored if no one else is with me." Keeping yourself busy is one way to keep your mind off the things that go bump. Hopefully some of the suggestions folks have given here are helpful for you.

For me, being out in nature is wholly engrossing. I get so "busy" with all there is to explore, listen to, watch, find, fiddle with, look through, and interact with that I often feel like there's not enough time in a day...

(have never understood people who want to listen to music or watch movies/videos when in the outdoors -- just takes away from the experience of being engrossed in the natural world... nothing against y'all, just does not work for me!)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    .....(have never understood people who want to listen to music or watch movies/videos when in the outdoors -- just takes away from the experience of being engrossed in the natural world... nothing against y'all, just does not work for me!)
    Not only for the person listening to the music, but for everyone around them.

Few things more annoying than having to listen to someones mix. I've take an ipod with my countless times and I have used once... I should stop bringing it.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Not only for the person listening to the music, but for everyone around them.

Few things more annoying than having to listen to someones mix...
    Yeah, goes without saying if ya have ta take music into nature, keep it to yourself!!

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'm a bibliophile so I can read for hours and that's my favorite thing to do when I'm at camp and finished setting up and cooking dinner. I have a Kindle Paperwhite which has a lighted screen so I don't need to use my headlamp and it's good for weeks without charging. But you said you aren't a reader so that's not much help to you.

The other thing I do when I'm on the trail is to put in a full day hiking so I have a very small amount of time after setup and dinner before I'm sleeping. I've even hiked in the dark (which can actually be fun) until it's late. This does have the disadvantage that you are setting up in the dark so I wouldn't necessarily recommend this until you're comfortable setting up camp without having to think about it. It also gives me the advantage that I can go at any pace I like and stop whenever I want because I don't have any limits.

Also, sometimes I just do a quick hike at night after I set up camp (just be sure to remember where you camped or leave a light on so you can find your way back).

It can also be pleasant to just sit or lay in the hammock and be at one with nature. Not in any fancy way, just listen to the wind and the trees. Watch the fireflies. Look up at the stars. Enjoy the wind in your face. One of the most awesome things about camping is just being out in the woods where you can experience all these things in a relaxed way without anybody bothering you or any pressures.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast