SLD Tree Runner 10'
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Dutch

Pros & Cons of 11' vs 12' Tarp

Hey folks, I'm grabbing my bootstraps and pulling up, out of lurking mode. I have tarp functionality questions.

I'm considering buying a Hammock Gear Winter Palace tarp. The questions revolve around whether to get the 11' or 12' version. The reason I'm considering this tarp is for longer hikes, possibly the entire AT, and I like the idea of lighter weight, great coverage, doors, etc. I have both 10' & 11' hammocks, which I use interchangably. Cost isn't a major limitation.

First question: Reviews say the tarp can be "tight" for space in terms of length. The recommendation by one reviewer said that if using an 11' hammock, get the 12' tarp. Anyone out there using an 11' hammock with 11' tarp? What is your recommendation?

Second question: I realize that, if using the 10' hammock with a 12' tarp, the tarp needs to be pitched higher. Will this combination make it difficult to extend the tarp all the way to the ground while still having some head room? I'm over 6', and I hate being bent (way) over inside the tarp.

Third question: I have a dog that typically sleeps under my hammock, especially in bad weather. Pulling the sides down to the ground is important when there's high wind and driving rain. What will that be like with the 10' hammock & 12' tarp combination?

TIA for any input.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Doors make all the difference, in my opinion. I use 11' hammocks and have tarps with and without doors. I prefer 11' tarps with doors. That puts the ends of the tarp about 8" past the hammock, which doesn't sound like a lot. But you can close the doors and be completely protected, even from sideways rain. No doors and I find a 12' tarp is necessary to give adequate protection. However, the determining factor whether your setup will fit between trees is the tarp. The longer tarp will eliminate tight spaces that would otherwise work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    I'll only chime in with my personal experience regarding your first question.

I sleep out a lot under my deck in a hammock. The distance between the support beams is just under 11 feet. All the hammocks I use for sleeping in are 11' with 110” ridgelines, with the exception of the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Being a bridge hammock, the suspension is longer and does not fit between the support beams.

The only tarp I have that can be tautly pitched between these beams is a 10’ square tarp, which I pitch as an A-frame. With 120” tarp seam and another few inches for the grosgrain loop tie-outs, even this one is a tight fit between the beams. There is theoretically 5” per side overhang of the tarp relative to the hammock. The CL’s of the hammock stick out from under the tarp.

Certainly not the greatest amount of coverage on the ends, but I’ve used this setup on many rainy nights including some fairly windy ones. Occasionally the UQ has gotten damp from rain coming in through the open ends and splashing up off the concrete. The hammock itself has never gotten wet using this setup.

So IMO, an 11’ tarp with doors will have ample coverage to keep an 11’ hammock dry. You just have to use a little more care to get the tarp nicely centered, and not pitch it too high above the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm a 12 foot guy myself but this is due to me using a Warbonnet Ridge Runner which requires a bit more length. If you are worried about weight go for the 11 footer with doors and enjoy.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I'm a 12'er... doors or not. I just like the extra room if the weather comes in crappy.
    Seems a small enough trade for the "just in case".
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner 10'
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers/Dutch
    Outstanding info on all accounts. Thanks for directly addressing the questions. I'd <really> like to hear from someone who is specifically using the HG Winter Palace (inherently has doors) with an 11' GE hammock. Mine came from Jared - Tree Runners. How tight is an 11' hammock inside an 11' Winter Palace?

Thank you very much.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just used my 11 ft HG Tarp with doors this past weekend. It isn't the winter palace, but similar. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and it fit just fine under the tarp. With the doors open and in a light rain I had plenty of room and everything stayed dry. I imagine with the doors closed, it will have zero issues in worse weather. You can even tie the doors out for a bit more overhead coverage. 20180902_184801.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use the 11 ft. Winter Palace with an 11 ft. hammock. I don't see the need for a 12 ft. tarp - it just weighs more. I've stayed dry in all sorts of weather and never thought, "Gee, I wish I had a 12 ft. tarp."

Five years ago none of the cottage vendors offered 12 ft. tarps, but for some reason people think they need an extra foot and now most vendors make 12 ft. tarps.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-05-2018 at 15:36.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

An 11' tarp with doors provides plenty of coverage for an 11' GE hammock. Heck, most of the time you'll have the doors tied back and still have plenty of coverage. I personally think a winter tarp, particularly a 12' one, is a lot of tarp to be backpacking with. There are some very cool rectangular tarps (10X12, 11X11) that have the ability to close up tight on the ends. The doors are slanted, not vertical as with a true winter tarp. They can be hung rectangular, hex (with the "doors" pulled back), or hex with doors.

All that said, if it must be a winter tarp, I'd also be looking at WB and UGQ just to be sure I was getting the exact features I want.

I really like winter tarps. I just don't want to carry one on an extensive backpacking trip.

I'm surprised, with you being 6'+, that you find a 10' hammock to be comfortable. More power to you if it works!
    Last edited by TominMN; 09-05-2018 at 15:35.

I have made an 11' hex tarp and a 12' winter tarp. My observations are:

1) (Your first question) Both offer adequate coverage for an 11' hammock with a 110" ridge line (+/-).
    2) A 12' tarp offers better coverage if you're hanging your pack at the head or foot of your hammock, and you can shade your tarp a little towards that end.
    3) (Your second and third question) An 11' tarp can be pitched tighter to the same hammock as compared to a 12' tarp due to the hammock suspension. As you start lowering a tarp towards the hammock, the ends of a 12' tarp will hit the suspension before an 11' tarp will. So it is easier to get the sides of an 11' tarp pitched tight to the ground if that's your thing, as compared to a 12' tarp of the same width. If your dog is your limiting factor, I think an 11' tarp will be easier to pitch with the sides tight. Note that this also means setting up the tarp with the sides at a steeper angle, so less room inside with the sides tighter to your hammock.
    4) A 12' tarp takes ~1 extra sq yd of fabric, so depending on what material you choose you're adding ~1 oz. of weight.
    5) I like 12' tarps for the extra coverage as well as hanging my pack and knowing it has complete coverage.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast