Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pad Slippage Solutions

For those that use a pad of some type (thermarest, airpad, car windshield reflector, etc) inside their hammock, has anybody come up with creative ideas to prevent slippage and sliding between the pad and the hammock? I already searched the forum but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

I have the standard parachute nylon double wide (non-ripstop) and an Ecotek Ultralight pad (hex-core style). Ideas that I found on the forum or have thought of myself are listed below. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on these, or had any success with something else?

- athletic adhesive spray (not sure how much gunk this would accumulate)

- Seam sealer dots (I assume by dots, the person meant just squeezing out little droplets in the back of the pad)

- neoprene shoe traction pads (adhesive egg shaped pads for the bottom of women's shoes)

- silicon caulk, seam sealer, shoegoo, etc (I have some gear that has rubberized squiggly lines on the back that provide good traction. Not sure if a DIY option could work doing the same thing. Just squeeze out squiggly lines all over the back of the pad and let it dry)

-rubber bathtub grip tape cut to length (would probably work better with a pad that has a long flat core sections, as opposed to the hex-core my pad uses)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Without ruining your hammock I'd recommend a double layer hammock or one of the pads made for hammocks like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Hammoc...v+sleeping+pad

I’ve got the Klymit hammock pad - it’s awkward getting it in when the bugnet or topcover is on but really does work quite well in the hammock.

I now have a double layer hammock too but haven’t tried slipping this pad in between the layers yet.

I find even in a double layer a little grippy added to the pad helps not move slide.

I've found big agnes systems to be the most efficient and comfortable to use a pad with in a hammock by a long shot.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    My Klymit air mattress never slips.... once I sewed a pocket for it my hammock:

Pad Hammock.jpeg
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 09-05-2018 at 15:02.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Without ruining your hammock I'd recommend a double layer hammock or one of the pads made for hammocks like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Hammoc...v+sleeping+pad
    Thank you for the input. I do appreciate it. But I have no real interest to buy a new hammock or a new pad. Looking for DIY ideas.

The pad I have I bought specifically for the way it was constructed. It is definitely the best pad I've every tried in a hammock due to how the individual cores articulate. The Klymit looks nice, but the Ecotek was also cheap. That means I'm ok with a little DIY toying around. Slippage isn't all that bad either. I just like to customize and improve things when I can. I still use an original Hammock Bliss from the early 2000's and have made numerous modification to it over the years. It's still going strong and hasn't died on me yet.

Obviously the wrong application may leave the underside of the pad unsightly, but I wouldn't attempt anything that would cause permanent damage to render things unusable. And if my hammock finally dies on me one day, it will have lived a good life.
    Last edited by Liam1694u; 09-05-2018 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    My Klymit air mattress never slips.... once I sewed a pocket for it my hammock:

Pad Hammock.jpeg
    That's clever. I like your creativity. Instead of a double-layer, I did make a sling with nylon fabric and shock cord to hang under the hammock. Works good for sliding things underneath as insulation or a windbreak. it's also not a permanent attachment, which means I only add the bulk when I need it. Of course hammocks have become A LOT cheaper from when i first bought mine, so my long term mentality of developing a modular system built around a single hammock seems kind of antiquated these days. It's cheap enough now to buy multiple hammocks and modify for different purposes now.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam1694u View Post
    For those that use a pad of some type (thermarest, airpad, car windshield reflector, etc) inside their hammock, has anybody come up with creative ideas to prevent slippage and sliding between the pad and the hammock? I already searched the forum but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

I have the standard parachute nylon double wide (non-ripstop) and an Ecotek Ultralight pad (hex-core style). Ideas that I found on the forum or have thought of myself are listed below. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas on these, or had any success with something else?

- athletic adhesive spray (not sure how much gunk this would accumulate)

- Seam sealer dots (I assume by dots, the person meant just squeezing out little droplets in the back of the pad)

- neoprene shoe traction pads (adhesive egg shaped pads for the bottom of women's shoes)

- silicon caulk, seam sealer, shoegoo, etc (I have some gear that has rubberized squiggly lines on the back that provide good traction. Not sure if a DIY option could work doing the same thing. Just squeeze out squiggly lines all over the back of the pad and let it dry)

-rubber bathtub grip tape cut to length (would probably work better with a pad that has a long flat core sections, as opposed to the hex-core my pad uses)

Get that Velcro tape from Home Depot. Put a hook strip on the pad and a loop strip on the hammock and you're good to go. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    Get that Velcro tape from Home Depot. Put a hook strip on the pad and a loop strip on the hammock and you're good to go. Works great.
    That's a novel ideas. Thanks. Keep these good ones coming.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Pad Slippage Solutions

Velcro didnt work for me--just got all bunched up. However, the sticky mess it left after peeling it off did seem to help a bit. I went to quilts shortly after that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast