Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles

Newbie DIYer looking for Winter12 feedback!

Greetings everyone,

Hit the ground running with hammock camping in the last year. Set a goal for the summer to learn to use my mother’s old sewing machine. Had a few good results under my belt and jumped head first into RSBTR’s UL Winter12. The Memebrane sil was a challenge but I ended up with a usable UL tarp that left my old Eno ProFly in the dust.

However, after adding the normal Dutch accoutrements and pole mod, I’m left feeling like I’m missing something with set up. Or that I’m way off on my side tie out locations.

Anyone mind passing some feedback my way. Note; I threw the tarp up without regard to height. Clearly it’s too high.

1) there seems to be more wall sag then I expected.
    2) I can’t get my ridgeline to lay flat without bowing up at the corners
    3) it kinda looks funny.

Long days and pleasant nights.

-GTP

It looks so bad I think you should send it to me...

Seriously, that is actually a great looking tarp. Doesn't look the least bit funny to me. I'd be proud if I had made it. The sag is not out of line. Well, it is, but you know what I mean.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    It looks so bad I think you should send it to me...

Seriously, that is actually a great looking tarp. Doesn't look the least bit funny to me. I'd be proud if I had made it. The sag is not out of line. Well, it is, but you know what I mean.
    My heart sank at those first four words. What a rollercoaster!

Thank you! I am pretty happy with it. Trying out prusiks instead of the tato toggles today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Looks to me like the pull outs should have been perhaps 1-2 inches closer to the ridge. Photo 3 makes it look like it's going to create small ponds where they are. But that could just because of the way it's currently pitched, photos can deceive sometimes.

I use mini-ucr's in place of tato's or prusik's on the RL. Don't worry about the ridge pulling up like that.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I think it looks very serviceable

without seeing it in person tho, and it's maybe a quibble, the pullouts could maybe have been out a bit wider?

but I think actually, it just needs to be pitched a bit tauter (to me the bottom corners should be more angled out, rather than just straight/90* from ridgeline)

but yeah, overall, looks just fine

like, I take pics of my tarp every time, and each time it looks almost completely different cause I'm fiddling with where I'm staking it, or how I'm using the pole mod, or how I try to do porch mode

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    I think it looks very serviceable

without seeing it in person tho, and it's maybe a quibble, the pullouts could maybe have been out a bit wider?

but I think actually, it just needs to be pitched a bit tauter (to me the bottom corners should be more angled out, rather than just straight/90* from ridgeline)
    Thank you for the feedback! I repitched this afternoon and, after a bad storm this afternoon, found I could spend more time fiddling. Of course, pitching in the dark doesn’t help much but I figured a bit more out. Pole mod will probably get shelved. Might throw another set of tie outs on before I take it out for a couple of nights.
    -GTP

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looks pretty good. A lot of the sag seems to be cause by the direction of the tension the lines. The pole mod lines are pulling the sides of the tarp upwards and inwards as seen in your third picture. The poles could be longer so as to pull the walls more outwards or if there are conveniently placed trees around you can tie off. When I pitch my tarp with the doors closed I make sure the tie outs are angled out around 45 degrees. With the doors pitch open the lines are little straighter out.

With regards to the flat ridgeline, you could get it a bit flatter if you put the tarp over the line but it's fine the way it is IMO. My Superfly actually has slight upwards cat cuts on the ridgeline. It helps with evening the tension.
    Last edited by Bubba; 09-07-2018 at 00:10.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts