Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Reflectix -Patagonia

Hey guys - I appreciate all the great enthusiasm and wisdom this forum provides. Thanks for all the great posts.

I am planning a trip through South America and plan to hang for the vast majority of my trip. I will be moving through Patagonia (Southernmost portions of Chile and Argentina) in mid to late spring. The trip will end in Rio de Janeiro where it will be 100 degrees. As you can see I have a logistical nightmare trying to figure out a good TP and UP vs Pad sleeping system. I will be using a Blackbird Double layer (not ordered yet) and a tarp I plan on DIYing. Wind is more of an issue in Patagonia than the cold, so I plan on making my tarp with doors.

Here's something I wanna run by you guys: How does reflectix between the layers and a down sleeping bag sound? Or could you sleep on top of the reflectix which would be above the bottom layer of the down bag?

Thanks for helping a NOOB out, all this will be tested but I am just wondering if I can have a more compact system as lots and lots of hitchhiking will be involved. Also, if somebody thinks I just need to nut up and get both quilts and cinch it down with compression straps - well.. ok

I lived in Guatemala for 2 years right out of high school and I've been cooped up for the last 2 years obtaining my Paramedic license. Its time to go have an adventure.

Thanks for all the help, ya nutty hanging freaks

LB

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post

Here's something I wanna run by you guys: How does reflectix between the layers and a down sleeping bag sound? Or could you sleep on top of the reflectix which would be above the bottom layer of the down bag?
    LB
    I have had good results with it. Never used it full body wise but always carry a 12x14" piece with me. Use it as a sit pad .... put it under my butt if it gets cool.
    I think it would work well between layers .... depending on you it could get a bit sweaty laying on top of it. With the bag between you and it .... should be fine.
    Several folks use windshield sun reflector to sleep on and they seem happy with the results.
    Post any results that you find.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, Shug! Your video is what gave me the idea. Tinny from minibull had a large portion in his latest video and I think that might work just a little bit better for me than several different quilts. The Noobie hanging series is great, keep up the good work.

LB

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

Question

Still just a "wet-behind-the-ears" newbie. I finally got my new Clark NX 250 and Arrowhead New River UQ strung up for the first time tonight for the virgin hang. Not as chilly as it has been but will most likely be in the teens or twenties, tops. But I'm always searching for new ways to stay warm. Now for my question: what the heck is reflectix? Could some one enlighten me on this material please?
    Last edited by waddy; 02-28-2010 at 19:36. Reason: Adding enough words for a complete sentence!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    I am planning a trip through South America and plan to hang for the vast majority of my trip. I will be moving through Patagonia (Southernmost portions of Chile and Argentina)....
    I sure trust you have checked on the tree (or lack thereof?) situation. I thought much of that area (Patagonia) was tree-less.

Best to you!

Rain Man

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I am so jealous!
    Patagonia is gorgeous, Where are you starting exactly (what cities)?
    Voce fala? o solo habla Usted?

Parts of Patagonia are relatively treeless so depending on route you may need a groundcloth so you can use the WBBB as a bivy. But depending on your route you may not run into that at all. Sounds like a super cool trip.

As far as reflectix, the only negative that I have seen posted is that it is noisy. I have not tried it myself.

You should look at the yetti underquilts, by the time you get to Rio (and we are freezing our .... off) you can ditch the UQ, but before that you can move it around/vent it to provide adequate coverage/ventilation.

Does the Earth quake just north of Concepcion in the Chilean patagonia affect your trip? (probably not since you are starting in our Autumn).

Espero que disfrutes la oportunidad de caminar en las tierras mas benditas que yo he conocido en mi vida.
    Last edited by phatpenguin; 03-02-2010 at 00:26. Reason: wish I could spell...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpenguin View Post
    As far as relectix, the only negative that I have seen posted is that it is noisy. I have not tried it myself.
    Actually .... it really is not. Seems like it would be but it is quite supple.
    I have tried it and have become friends with it!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpenguin View Post
    As far as relectix, the only negative that I have seen posted is that it is noisy. I have not tried it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Actually .... it really is not. Seems like it would be but it is quite supple.
    Agreed. The big issue is you'll want to bind the raw edges somehow - if you want it to last. Doing so can be as easy as Duct Tape.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I have seen that done with duct tape, I guess that is how I will do it.

Thank you for all the replies, I have been doing a lot of messaging and reading travel blogs and it seems that while much of the area is treeless, people are having some great success around Torres del Paine park where I plan to spend the bulk of my time in Patagonia.

This trip is daunting - Carrying 5 month worth of Diabetic stuff takes up a lot of space. I'm still not sure the best way to go about it. I'll be starting a Youtube channel to document some of the struggles and planning so stay posted I'd like to encourage people that traveling with Diabetes is a pain in the butt but can be done with finesse.

Phatpenguin -

Mi viaje empezara en Columbia (ando solo), Ire a Venezuela para ver salto angel, y Caracas. Despues Ire a Cartagena para desfrutar por unas dias y volare hasta Lima, Peru. Quiero ver Macchu Picchu Y Cuzco y tomare un bus hasta La Paz, Bolivia. Despues de conocer la ciudad volare a Santiago, Chile para tomar en la buena onda de los chilenos, y vino!! Quiero conocer Valpararaiso y Conception. Despues tomare un bus hasta Torres del Paine para ver Roy Fritz Volare de Ushunaia hasta Buenos Aires para, tomar, danzar y comer carne!!! Finalmente Volare hasta rio para ano nuevo

Trip Summary -

My trip will begin in Columbia. (I found a ticket for $150) I want to go to Venezuela to see Angel falls, then spend some time in Caracas. I'll return to Columbia to see Cartagena and Bogota (my mom hates that part) After a few days I'll fly to Lima, Peru to see the ancient mountaintop Incan ruins of Macchu Picchu and will continue on a bus for La Paz, Bolivia. After a few days in the city I will fly to Santiago Chile to hang out with the good natured chileans and wander drunkenly around vineyards. I wanna see Valpararaiso and Concepion - there is also some championship surfing to be had. After that I will travel by bus to the bottom of the world and see the southernmost portions of Patagonia and the Roy Frtiz Mountain range. I'll fly from there to Buenos aires to party for a while and move on to Rio to ring in the new year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast