Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Ideas for taking a reluctant newby out

Backstory: So, my 12yo daughter is hooked on hammock camping and backpacking, (yea me). After our last trip, my daughter's friend's mom asked me to take her daughter out and I said sure, love to. So, I pick a date that works, this upcoming weekend, which is their only free weekend until next May because of cheerleading, and we are set. Last weekend, my daughter tells me, she doesn't think her friend wants to go. I talk to the mom, and she says yes she is going, whether she wants to or not. Now this girl is not a high maintenance girl, and i enjoy the family, so I keep planning. Double check last night, and trip is still on. My daughter talks to her friend again last night and it ends up that she is more nervous about going than anything, which makes me a little more comfortable, because that I can work with. Looking for any ideas to make this as much fun and comfortable as I can for her.

I changed my planned hike to Allegheny State Park and hiking from the parking lot to the StonyBrook Leanto, which is just under a 2 mile hike. Figure a short hike just to introduce her to backpacking. There is a three sided lean to there, a privy, picnic table, fire pit and a piped spring right at the site. Weather is supposed to be good. I have all the equipment for both girls and myself. Packs for each of us, hammocks, tarps and insulation. I picked up a set of beetle buckles and the spreader bar so the girls can camp side by side, and be under the same tarp together.

Planning on getting to the park a little after noon and hike to the site. Spend some time collecting firewood and starting a campfire. Cook some steaks for dinner over the open fire, and roast marshmallows for smores for desert. I will probably bring some dehydrated meals too to be on the safe side and some snacks for throughout the day. Breakfast will just be like simple poptarts or something like that.

So, am I missing anything? Just trying to make this as fun as possible and cover all angles, so my daughters friend would want to do this again.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Sounds like you have all the bases covered. If the weather cooperates, it looks like a good time. Maybe bring some packable games (cards/dice/dominoes/books). Don't forget the wipes and bug juice. Also scented candles are nice if car camping. Hope we can get another hammock convert into the fold...

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’ll second that it sounds like you’ve got a good plan. Only other thing I can recommend (as someone with two daughters who backpack with me as well) is to remember that if things go south, keep a positive outlook.

Hope you have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the girl has a camera or a smart phone with camera. Tell her she's in charge of documenting the trip which means taking lots of pictures, putting them on Instagram if she wants, whatever. In effect, give her something to do while she's walking. Heck, have her video the trip if she wants. But at a bare minimum, encourage her to shoot lots of photos.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    mirror, comfortable chair and candy.
    shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Toilet paper? Wet wipes?
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm taking my daughter food shopping tonight and start packing too. Looking forward to the trip.

Sounds like you’ve got a good plan.
    Pack some extra earplugs in case the friend finds the outdoor noises too loud overnight to sleep...maybe a small tarp light or something. I know I was really nervous my first couple of times out (especially alone) and having a dim light made me feel a little better..
    Enjoy the trip!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    I know I had to look for ways to make my wife feel more comfortable, in her case I had two issues the first being she was good up until night time didn't like the boogeyman thing and the second being closed up in a hammock.

So I think it may help to get a better idea of why she's apprehensive. It probably won't work for you but I told my wife to wake me up anytime she need to go to the bathroom during the night, that seem to help. As far as the hammock goes I got her a night light it helped quite a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    My daughter was a bit nervous the first few times we took here out on trips. A few things that helped was the night light...used a multi-colored Luci light set on her favorite color...pink of course. Hanging all of the hammocks in reasonably close vicinity to each other. We set up in a Triangle with the opening of the nets facing towards each other. We also found that staying up late to hang out around the fire does have a point of diminishing returns...our kiddos start to melt down a bit if they go way past normal. While we can make it later than normal at home, having a "bedtime" is still important to everyone's sanity....especially my own. Keeping a semi-normal routine helps...if they sleep with a stuffed animal, for example, let them bring it along. If they have a food or candy that they just love bring it. Making it a fun and new experience is great but a sense of normal with things that are familiar can go a long way with smoothing out some of the stress of a new thing like being out in the woods.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast